silt

godibib

use a longer hooklink as short ones can often dissapear into the silt with the lead.

Try and use a flat lead as these tend to slow down more on impact with the water which helps to keep it abobe the silt.

Use pva nuggets to help slow the baits falling rate after the lead hits the bottom, this will help your bait to rest on the silt.

Try pop ups and bright baits to again aid the visibility of your bait.

Tight lines mate.

You can also try using solid pva bags and put your whole rig inside it this again helps to keep your bait above the silt as it lands slower on the botom with a larger surface area

tight lines

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Silt/sliding Helicopter rigs are best for Silt Fishing.

You can get the bait sitting nicely on top of the Silt and still fish short effective rigs.

I've also found that when fishing on the silt a Pop-up that only just sinks under the weight of the hook is spot on.

nothing wrong with the other suggestions but a couple of ways I've found successful is to either make some "silt bombs" by cutting a drilled bullet in half and fixing a shapped cork from a wine bottle to it using a wire or something similar or and this depends on how far your casting cut some plastic disc's old ice cream lids will do about 50/75mm in diametre make a slot in the middle just big enough for the swivel to go through :wink:

What's wrong with silt? it's where most of the natural food is anyway. You need to locate the areas where the carp are feeding in it. Look for bubblers etc. I've fished lakes where the carp feed in the real heavy stinky chod and other lakes where the lead comes back like it's on glass and you get the bites. Don't get paranoid about fishing above the silt, the carp get their heads right in it. That's where you want a bait, not popped up three inches above it!

How about trying something a little different?

Reverse combi to an inline lead and heavy tube behind. the combi is a mono link near the hook tied to a soft braid. Set the length so that when the braid sinks in there is only a small amount of it and the mono above the silt.

The lead sinks in and so does some of the tube and most of the hook rig. Nothing about to spook the fish and a bait that is resting nicely.

Dont knock it till you have tried it as you might be surprised how effective it is for wary fish:D

Just take the time to refine it to suit the lake you fish and enjoy.