help!!!!!

carpersmithy

i tend to usually fish a bolt rig and a running rig but i've found that when casting the running lead it tends to wrap itself around the bomb if that makes sense! :oops: is there anyway that this can be avoided? i've thought of maybe trying a longer hook length as the size i've been using is quite short.any advice would be great guys and thanks in advance

I think he means the hooklink.

Make sure you use a big ring swivel and put some tubing to cover the swivel (between the lead and the big ring), but making sure that the lead can obviously still run freely.

And use 1-2 foot of tubing so the lead can run along....

......as this MAY help :lol:

How could it be tangling on the retrieve? Depending on your lead-set-up, this is almost impossible, if you think about the physics of it. With a lead-clip it would be nigh-on impossible, the lead would be coming in first, followed by rig and bait, kept in that order by the drag on the water.

That is, if you wind in consistently, and do not stop halfway through.

Guest andypalf

Ive started using the ESP anti-tangle sleeves recently. I was a bit sceptical to start with but I haven't had a tangle since. Mind you I only had the occasional tangle before I was using them.

How could it be tangling on the retrieve? Depending on your lead-set-up, this is almost impossible, if you think about the physics of it.

Is it?

When you cast out, do you think that your hooklink is in a perfectly straight line from your lead to the bait and in the same direction as your mainline to the rod tip? Depending on how your lead landed on the bottom and what it landed on, it could fall anywhere, even towards you :wink:

Dont you ever do any bath tests to check these things Sam? :?

Feeling the lead down can stop the problem of the hooklink tangling on the retrieve (with a coated or mono hooklink that is) but when using a braided hooklink you my find that the baited hook lands directly over your lead or just a few inches from it..... even when using long hooklinks.

And then you have to take into account of how many times the carp have mouthed the bait and moved the hooklink..... without you knowing nothing about it on your alarm or indicator :wink:

sorry guys didnt make much sense did i :oops: it was the hook link i was talking about i just let my bomb run on my main line and it was tangling alot almost every cast! i've read up on feathering i never tried that before so will have a go this weekend,going to set up the runner with tubing as well been reading up on ways to do that too,told you all i was still learning did'nt i!! :oops:

How could it be tangling on the retrieve? Depending on your lead-set-up, this is almost impossible, if you think about the physics of it.

Is it?

When you cast out, do you think that your hooklink is in a perfectly straight line from your lead to the bait and in the same direction as your mainline to the rod tip? Depending on how your lead landed on the bottom and what it landed on, it could fall anywhere, even towards you :wink:

Feeling the lead down can stop the problem of the hooklink tangling on the retrieve (with a coated or mono hooklink that is) but when using a braided hooklink you my find that the baited hook lands directly over your lead or just a few inches from it..... even when using long hooklinks.

And then you have to take into account of how many times the carp have mouthed the bait and moved the hooklink..... without you knowing nothing about it on your alarm or indicator :wink:

You are completely right actually, I didn't take these things into account. As for the bath tests, no, but I do have an old fish tank that I do use for this purpose, but it doesn't really give you an accurate picture of a cast.

Guest fenboy

Is it?

Thats some bath you have if your casting into it tony !,Surly there is a vast diffence to how a rig lands casting it 50-60-70 yards than there is dropping it into 18 inches of water in a bath ?

Guest fenboy

As the above have advised try the following

1/ feather down the cast.

2/ using a small pva bag on the hook will certainly help.

3/ Anti tangle sleeves will also help keep the hoooklength away from the lead.

4/ try a stiffer hooklength material such as a coated braid of flurocarbon ,you dont say in your post but I suspect you may be using braid.

Thats some bath you have if your casting into it tony !,Surly there is a vast diffence to how a rig lands casting it 50-60-70 yards than there is dropping it into 18 inches of water in a bath ?

I use it purely to see how the hooklink reacts as to when the lead hits the bottom. Im not saying that the tests are foolproof but they are a good indicator as to gauge what happens to the baited hook.

• 1 month later...
I always retrieve maybe 2/3 feet of line once the lead has hit bottom. As long as I dont feel any jolts while im doing it I feel safe that i have pulled the rig straight in the order I would prefer it.

So do I. It's a confidence thing.

Ian