combi rig

dan_the_fisherman

I'm not totally sure of all the advantages of a Combi Link to be honest.

I do know that the top stiffer section reduces tangles, and also lays the hooklink flat.

At a new water this year I couldn't hook a Carp on my standard braided hooklinks, and I had to play around until I got a presentation the Carp would take. I ended up with Combi links that seemed to settle on top of the weed, or just as nicely on the clear patches.

If you go to

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

there are a couple of pics of Combi Links in there.

I use Amnesia for the Top section and whatever Braid I feel comfortable with for the hook section

Thanks Tony i see what you mean, i believe a combi rig means there are two different materials used, therefore the coated braid would be a combi rig as it uses two different materials - the coating and the inner braid.

Anyway what are the advantages of the proper combi rig - is it tangle free, ivisible, easier to pick up - this is the one im not sure about. I imagine the supple hair allows it to be picked up easier but not entirely because of the stiff mono. How long should the hair be - i know there isnt a rule but suggestions would be nice.

I have another query if someone wouldnt mind answering it - Is fluorocarbon more visible in mucky silty water? Thanks.

Dan, my combi rigs are usually made of Korda IQ (the standard stuff, not the Extra Soft) and ESP Sinklink braid. Here are the 3 i usually use.....

The top one is my normal hooking arrangement using a 5" Armaled Kik Bak Clear 'n' Green link when fishing over hardish clay and clear gravel spots. The 1" section above the hook is stripped to aid a bit of movement.

The middle link is for a normal bottom bait arrangement and utilises the Korda and braid as described above and the bottom rig is the same but that is used for pop ups 2 " above the deck - note the rig ring instead of the normal hair - cos i like to tie my pop ups on :wink:

You will notice that all these links incorporate a line aligner of Korda shrink tube :wink:

Picture003.jpg

My setups are very similar to Tony's but i do use IQ Xtra soft aswell as standard IQ some less complicated some more complicated but basicly the same :) , I use the Xtra soft not to aid the anti-ejection properties of the rig but too aid anti tangle, I try to use this setup to act as subtle as standard braid links but minimise the tangles. Normaly with a snow man/ ballenced hook bait.

for my normal combi rigs i use the normal IQ in 15lb braking strain and this is for the anti-ejection properties :wink:

they are fiddley to tie but worth the effort of tying. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I am interested in the concept of the combi rig and indeed have bought a couple of ready made ones as I don't know what knot to use to tie the stiff line to the supple braid - any suggestions would be useful

Can I suggest you read the thread from start to finish?

:roll::?:wink:

If you go to

I use Amnesia for the Top section and whatever Braid I feel comfortable with for the hook section

I love my Combi rigs, however i like using reverse combi links. having an inch of fluro from the hook, giving it the turn like a line aligner but without the weight of the tube. To this either merlin over weed or coated braid for hard surfaces. Had a few fish like this. Will be trying it with bristle filament and also thick fluro (normally ghost or rig marole)

I am interested in the concept of the combi rig and indeed have bought a couple of ready made ones as I don't know what knot to use to tie the stiff line to the supple braid - any suggestions would be useful

Can I suggest you read the thread from start to finish?

:roll::?:wink:

If you go to

Sorry saolkcinnodrog - I am clearly having one of those days but i cannot work out which knot is used to tie the braid to the stiff mono!!! (If there was a Homer Simpson scratching his head icon i would use it!!!!!) :oops: