very light weed rig??

Guest cairngorm

Guest cairngorm

I am thinking about going for a day at a lake called Barden Lake. I have heard the lake bottom is gravel with a very light weed.

I don't know what to use a bottom bait or a pop-up about an inch from the deck.

Some people might have seen or read the freshwater informer magazine given out in tackle shops. The 45lb 8oz fish is on the front was caught from there.

:D Will :D

I seem to remember you asking about Barden Lake in October and had few replies on the topic.

It may be worth looking up Tonbridge Angling Club and see if they have any details on the Lake on their website.

The alternative is to get down there and have a look around if you are allowed and talk to other anglers who are fishing it.

Sorry, you are likely to have to get off your backside and do some homework on the water and see what is working best, also you are likely to have to experiment on the water and see what works for you

There are plenty of Rig Pics in here:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?p=300890#300890

bottom, critically balanced and pop-up rigs

Some of the Lead set-ups are also useful for fishing in weed.

Next thing is, you want your bait where the fish are feeding. No point in fishing pop-ups 2inches off the bottom if the fish want the bait on the lakebed. Same if they are comfortable feeding in the weed, then a bait on the lakebed may well get ignored.

Unfortunately its down to you to find out what works on there, and although we may be able to give you some ideas, the hard work is down to you!

Sounds like a good place for a chod rig to me, or maybe a hinged stiff rig

If you can find the depth of the weed, by looking in the margins, then alter the length of the rig so it sits just above the weed

This is how I like to fish, then catty 10-20 boilies around it, in an area roughly the size of a garage door :wink:

all depends on the weather,water level,undertow, water temp,location and what level the fish are actually feeding at in intensity.....too many variables to give a straight answer. experiment but keep it simple to start with or else you could go past the perfect rig for your situation and be doing things worse without even knowing. dont change more than one thing at a time and always record your changes,weather etc etc etc in a notebook.....................................................................................................a pattern will emerge :wink::wink:

also find out who is top rod, watch there decisions in any given condition as to location, with high wind,rain, slack water etc and try to build up a pattern in that which will help you to formulate your own plans and methods.

Not suggesting diving in swims, simply watch and take it on board and work out reasons for their decisions in set conditions :wink:

Guest cairngorm

i fished there and blanked but the man who caught the 40 was fishing aswell. he said he normally uses a snowman rig and a bottom bait.

P.S how did you get on to th e barden lake link on the tonbridge website, for me it doesnt work.