Can anyone tell me why...?

bluelabel

Rod test curves have gotten steadily heavier over the last 20 years... I mean... I started my carp fishing with a pair of Gerry Savage S/U (probably 2lb T/C) because the fish we were after were well over 20lb  nowadays the tackle shops are selling carp rods of 3.75lbs rods that would have been used as spod rods 20 years ago... when you see carp hooked on them they hardly bend... I have gone backwards over the last 10 years and my carbon carp rods (Dwarf 2.75lb) lie gathering dust and I'm landing 20's and nigh on 30's on rods with barely 2lbs t/c and cane to boot...

If I want to fish the far bank I don't cast a 4 oz lead 150 yards with a 3.75lb rod... I walk round and drop in a freelined bait and sit quietly...

In Angling Direct a few weeks back the bloke was trying to sell a dad a pair of 3lb 12' rods for his 9 year old son... who, being knee high to a gnats doodah, would never EVER be able to compress the rod to get a decent distance with it... what the blinking flip is it with these "Salesmen"...

And as well as that I've seen blokes with 3.5lb rods... (cos I'm chookin it a long way like) and then boat everthing out... fergoodnessakes)😳😳😳

I've come to the conclusion there's no earthly reason these monster rods are needed,other than the buyers are just fashionistas following Saint Danny and his ilk...

Don't moan when your long awaited prize comes in with a mouth like a lace doyley and you wonder why...

There...I've had my rant... going for a lie down

I love my 3.5's - to me they feel very nice playing fish, no mouth damage and they cast well, I'd rather a set of rods that does everything than swap from set to set according to venue/method etc 🤷‍♂️

Mine are out and out casting rods, modified to play fish nicely - so not broom sticks, which I wouldn't have, so I get that point.