New to carp fishing

Hi,

Looking for a little bit of advice/tips.
Just got into fishing and I have been method feeder fishing for the last few months which has been pretty successful. 
Just started trying to get into carp fishing with a very simple set up of a lead clip system with a hair rig and wafter then a pva bag. I have been 10/15 times without getting a single bite on the carp rod but still catching on the feeder rod. 
Tried looking into different rigs but seems to be a bit of a mine field. 
Could anyone lend a little bit of advice for a beginner? 
Thanks

As Ian said, the water you are fishing would very much affect your catch rate.

Rig wise I prefer to keep it simple, a stiff fluorocarbon 6-8" hooklink, curved (krank) size 4-6. Hook swivel and stop. Running rig lead set up. Great for a bottom bait or snowman (bottom bait & pop up) this makes the hook more buoyant if a fish is sucking at it.

Loads online about different rigs. It can be confusing. So pick a rig or two, try it, tweak it and you'll soon know if you're on the right track. 

Carp fishing is a journey & a puzzle, from your kit, the venue, to your experience. Its good to learn something even when you don't catch and put it to use the next time. 

Underwater 7 & 8 definitely worth a watch imo.

😉enjoy

11 hours ago, crusian said:

I'm not sure where to start 🤔 .

What are you catching when you are method feeder fishing , i.e. species , size , etc .

Have you any idea how many Carp the water holds ? .

Maybe a description of the water you are fishing ? .

😃

Thanks for the reply.
Mainly commons and mirrors upto around the 10-12lb mark with the odd bream in there on the feeder.
Unsure on the numbers the water holds but from what I’ve been told by others and by the bailiff it is stocked well with fish upto 25lb.

Welcome to Carp.com

I try to keep my fishing as simple as possible, a simple coated braid rig attached knotless knot so I can fish either pop-ups, bottom or snowman baits.

Bait Tight to the hook for pop-ups, longer hair for bottom or snowman.

You are catching on the feeder rod, start there: you are catching. In other words that is working, that is the right approach. Fish exactly like that but upgrade it, maybe bigger hook, bigger bait.

On a purely personal note, I hate leadclips. A run ring is a whole lot better than leadclip system. You can fish the run ring with the line slack or tight. Slack it becomes a proper running lead, tight it is a bolt rig.

12 hours ago, Gmroberts said:

Thanks for the reply.
Mainly commons and mirrors upto around the 10-12lb mark with the odd bream in there on the feeder.
Unsure on the numbers the water holds but from what I’ve been told by others and by the bailiff it is stocked well with fish upto 25lb.

How many acres is your water , and are there any features ? .

Maybe arrive at the waterside at dawn and watch for any signs of Carp - I'm assuming you are not fishing a huge reservoir , and you can comfortably do a slow circuit looking for signs before you choose a swim .

On 21/09/2023 at 21:00, Gmroberts said:

Hi,

Looking for a little bit of advice/tips.
Just got into fishing and I have been method feeder fishing for the last few months which has been pretty successful. 
Just started trying to get into carp fishing with a very simple set up of a lead clip system with a hair rig and wafter then a pva bag. I have been 10/15 times without getting a single bite on the carp rod but still catching on the feeder rod. 
Tried looking into different rigs but seems to be a bit of a mine field. 
Could anyone lend a little bit of advice for a beginner? 
Thanks

You mention using Wafters , is this because the lake bed is " dirty " i.e. covered in leaves and twigs ? .

I'm wondering if there is also smelly silt , and the heavier ( ? ) lead you are using on your Carp set up is pulling your bait into the silt / leaves hiding or making your boilies stinky winky ? .

😃