1 hour ago, craig-al said:

Need any help possible as not catching fish I am trying all sorts of baits boilies,pellets ground bait doing loads of research online watching loads of videos but not sure where I am going wrong ?? 

Welcome to Carp.com, and to winter fishing. I've got the same problem in not catching.

You've picked the hardest time of the year to be fishing for carp.

Choose your water, make sure you fish a lake that has fish in it, has winter form, and easy to find fish. On both of those, there is absolutely no point in fishing the wrong place, a lake with no fish in it, or a swim where the carp are not present.

Fishing in winter is hard at the best of times, don't overbait; you don't want to be putting much bait in, and most pellets, and some groundbaits are too oily to attract in winter. Boilies are not the best bait, at any time, but in winter you will only need a few to last a whole day, quite literally your hookbait plus 1!

Low oil pellets, Sweetcorn, worms or maggots may be a better bait.

The best carp or any fish catcher equipment you have available is your eyes, look for the fish; tiny shows, rolls, fins breaking surface or even bubbles or flat spots in the waves.

Don't think that a 3oz lead cast out on a carp rod is the only method to catch carp. A basic float rod setup feeding a few maggots or pellets every few minutes around the float, or a feeder/ledger rod casting a small feeder or plain lead with maggots or worm on the hook.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/02/2023 at 15:16, craig-al said:

Need any help possible as not catching fish I am trying all sorts of baits boilies,pellets ground bait doing loads of research online watching loads of videos but not sure where I am going wrong ?? 

Having same problem as you. Pretty sure my session to catch ratio was the best on my syndicate last year I certainly had the biggest hit of fish in one session and funny thing is for me it makes it even more depressing when you done so well and you say right I’m gonna keep this up right through the winter but then your slapped in the face with blank after blank month after month. It was easier on the mind before when I caught nothing whatever the weather🤣

good for you to look forward to what I think is the best time of the year, spring! In my opinion the fish seem to be a little easier to trip up. And also there are many people on this chat room who have reached out and helped me just like the 2 people who have already commented before me. It’s priceless from these lot I’m telling you. 

Hold tight for a bit longer it all changes soon 

On 20/02/2023 at 15:16, craig-al said:

dont worry too much, i love a cold weather day session but don't always catch. i sometimes will go out with an aim to try a different rig or bait and see what happens, spring is nearly here and things may change for you but i have always found fishing in winter is like marmite you either love it or hate it.

for me its more about being out and trying than always catching as i know from experience there are some waters you can hit easily and others where it takes a different approach, keep at it but pick your swims as the others have said