Traveling to France after brexit (customs check?)

striker18

I'm afraid that Corbyn was an unmitigated disaster. I remember when he was elected as leader and a trade unionist at work claimed he was a "conviction politician". He was also totally unelectcable and has brought the Labour Party to it's knees with him. It's not good for democracy to have one party being so out of touch that even it's traditional Red Wall crumbles.

The vaccine roll out wouldn't have happened without Government providing the money quickly and then implementing it.

12 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

One of their great achievements was standardizing jam! They ruled that jam could only be made with fruit. Fair enough, you would think. The Portuguese objected as they had made a carrot jam for many years. To get around that little problem, carrots were re-classed as a fruit!

If you want your views taken seriously, it would help if you did not make such grossly misleading statements twisting the actual situation.

I assume you refer to the Council Directive 79/693/EEC of 24 July 1979 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to fruit jams, jellies and marmalades and chestnut purée which was justified by the fact that differences between national laws relating to the products concerned could result in conditions of unfair competition likely to MISLEAD consumers.

That was FORTY TWO years ago.

It was clearly explained in annex III that for the purposes of that Directive, the following definitions shall apply:

1 Fruit

Fresh, sound fruit, free from deterioration, containing all its essential constituents and sufficiently ripe for use, after cleaning, removal of blemishes, topping and tailing

For the purposes of this Directive, tomatoes, the edible parts of rhubarb stalks, carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, melons and water-melons are considered to be fruit

‘ginger’ means the edible root of the ginger plant in a fresh or preserved state. Ginger may be dried or preserved in syrup.

If you take the trouble to read the whole directive you will see that it was aimed very specifically at what additives could and could not be added to jams, preserves, marmalades etc. from a health point of view and to prevent unscrupulous companies adding vast amounts of cheap fructose (for example) just to gain an unfair example. It was designed  very specifically to protect to consumer.

You really ought to read the OJ to understand how the EU works.

I understand that you would vote for Brexit again having weighed the pros and cons so it would be very helpful to us less informed people if you would explain what the benefits are.

We are just coming up to month 9 of Brexit so could you explain how your life has improved in any way. I don’t mean quoting wishy washy words like freedom, sovereignty, taking back control, democracy etc and I don’t expect a pseudo neo-economic dream of jam tomorrow. I mean real practical examples of how your life has improved - because I can give you several examples of how my life is now a lot worse.

Is your weekly shop cheaper? is there a greater choice of goods on the shelves? Has your salary gone up significantly? is housing cheaper? have those pesky immigrants living next door been sent home?  is the NHS incredibly improved with the promised 50,000 extra nurses, 40 new hospitals and £350, million extra per week being spent on it?

I am not trying to be confrontational or disrespectful. I am genuinely looking for PRACTICAL benefits of Brexit.

This thread wasn't supposed to be political so give it a rest chaps! 😉👍

BTW business as usual at the borders (carp anglers are not getting specifically targeted for bait!) and drive in  pcr tests close to most ports on the way back! results normally in a couple of hours!

here is a link    https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-depistage-covid.html 

2 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

I'm afraid that Corbyn was an unmitigated disaster. I remember when he was elected as leader and a trade unionist at work claimed he was a "conviction politician". He was also totally unelectcable and has brought the Labour Party to it's knees with him. It's not good for democracy to have one party being so out of touch that even it's traditional Red Wall crumbles.

The vaccine roll out wouldn't have happened without Government providing the money quickly and then implementing it.

He didn't bring the labour party to its knees, the smear campaign and lies against him did, let's not forget farage giving way so all of his BNP voters had nowhere else to go so they went tory, now we are in a situation where all the people who voted for Boris, defend his every action because they believed he would get rid of "the immigrants" which he isn't Priti just gave 54m to the French and still they arrive I bet they are loving it, he is literally getting away with murder with covid and his failure to deal with it he ignored the science frequently, made millions from dodgy PPE, spent millions on wallpaper and now a load more on art, billions on a rubber dinghy for Prince Philip, and thinks a 1% payrise for the NHS is acceptable,

It isn't getting better @carpepecheur 

We can't get chicken for nandos and KFC, ridgemonkey cant get thier bait boats through customs and fuel and food has never been so expensive and  ironically there will probably be a shortage of Gammons this Christmas 😁

Can I add some useful information without it being taken as political.

To enter many places in France you will need a pass sanitaire. You download an app called Tousanticovid from Google play. You then scan the QR code you were given at the time of your vaccinations. However a friend has reported that this can only be done once you are in France (unless you use a VPN set to France) as it seems to detect your location. Bon chance.

Grovelling apologies but I gave some incorrect information. The "Tousanticovid" app that acts as your "pass sanitaire" (vaccine passport), CAN be downloaded in UK. (My friend said he was referring to another attestation needed in connection with his residence permit.) 

Don't worry, it is in English and is easy to use. There have been rumours on Twitter that the UK QR code is not always recognised. If this should happen, simply take it to any pharmacy and they can change it for the European QR code.

Just to underline the point, it is OBLIGATORY in all restaurants, bars and cafes.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyway, back on topic. Just returned from France and didn't get checked for bait, food etc at either end, French had a cursory glance in the van and said 'ah, fishing?' and waved us on.

Heard of quite a few anglers taking bait now with no issues but it's still a chance you take so consider your choice and the implications. We chose to use the lake bait.