colstrum in baits

jimmy_c

hi guys, i haven't used the forum much so i'm probably not a known member, but i'm just wondering if anyone's thought of using colostrum in their bait before, it sounds highly nutritious and very good for the immune system, it's expensive but a couple of capsules could go well in a milk protein bait, i thinks. It's made from the first milk a cow gives which contains all the important antibodies a new calf would need.

That would be my concern, the boiling process could negate any of the vitamins and minerals found in the additive, you may be able to use egg albumin to firm it up and keep boiling times to a minimum, this may help protect the colostrum. There are probably other vitamin and mineral compounds that would be easier to use. It’s worth a try though, milk proteins and milk products are obviously successful! 

5 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

That would be my concern, the boiling process could negate any of the vitamins and minerals found in the additive, you may be able to use egg albumin to firm it up and keep boiling times to a minimum, this may help protect the colostrum. There are probably other vitamin and mineral compounds that would be easier to use. It’s worth a try though, milk proteins and milk products are obviously successful! 

Definitely have their place in baitmaking

20 hours ago, emmcee said:

As with any additive/ingredient you need to know what affect the boiling process has on it. Might be a very good addition but it also might be a complete waste if the heat/boiling process runs it. 

thanks, that's definitely an important consideration, i guess it could be worth trying in a in a paste, i think their are so many interesting products in the health food market, that are probably overlooked by a lot of anglers at the moment.

7 minutes ago, jimmy_c said:

thanks, that's definitely an important consideration, i guess it could be worth trying in a in a paste, i think their are so many interesting products in the health food market, that are probably overlooked by a lot of anglers at the moment.

Not me lol Holland an Barrett I’m on first name terms 😂😂

There are loads of hidden gems in health food shops and supermarkets. I often look at baits I would use regularly that were brought from Tesco’s (other supermarkets are available...) that were cheap, easy to use and did the goods. Chick peas soaked in whiskey was a cracking bait, I still buy egg white powder from the baking aisle, back in the day, a lot of boilie ingredients came from health food suppliers, baby milk formula, muscle building powders etc, we are spoilt with our ready formulated base mixes these days! 

3 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

There are loads of hidden gems in health food shops and supermarkets. I often look at baits I would use regularly that were brought from Tesco’s (other supermarkets are available...) that were cheap, easy to use and did the goods. Chick peas soaked in whiskey was a cracking bait, I still buy egg white powder from the baking aisle, back in the day, a lot of boilie ingredients came from health food suppliers, baby milk formula, muscle building powders etc, we are spoilt with our ready formulated base mixes these days! 

You know it ouch I’ve a tendency to go to the Asian wholesale market for my belchan an fish oils etc and there’s a Indian spice shop I use to get my spices I just luv the smells in them places