Fluorocarbon Mainlines

Hi all,

I was considering a switch to sinking braid mainline to get better lead feel down and better bite indication but braid is not allowed on my water. I have been using Gardner GTHD line which is a low stretch mono and I have no problems with is whatsoever. BUT, would a fluorocarbon be the next best thing to braid or should I consider other low stretch monos? I see the technology for fluorocarbons has got better and looking at the Ultima Power Carp lines.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are with my query or if they could make any recommendations?

Thanks - Ed

24 minutes ago, fishingaddict said:

Thanks. What low stretch mono would you suggest then? Would you say Korda Touchdown be better than say Gardner GTHD?

I personally am not a fan of the low stretch lines. Low stretch is achieved through pre-stretching. Pre-stretching is great for feeling the drop and for distance casting but you sacrifice abrasion resistance which, when you fish very weedy waters like me, is probs the most important characteristic in a line.

I would stick with the GT-HD tbh. It's a great line for what you're after. It's better than the Touchdown imo.

They say it's not a fool who makes a mistake but one who repeats it and so I must be right up there! I bought some X-line several years ago as I was told it was the best one out there. It sinks well (double the density of water) and is near invisible in water (unless you have it coming straight off the bottom and in bright conditions it looks like Darth Vader's light sabre!) I got fed up with the constant coiling of the stuff and it casts like a bag of spanners. I got rid of it and went back to mono (Gardner GT-HD like you which I really rate.)

A few years back I bought some Fox Trans Kharki Illusion to use as a leader (about 30 foot) and although it was pretty good, I didn't like the knot on the cast or going through the rings whilst playing a fish.

During the lock down and with too much time on my hands I revisited Fluorocarbon and was seduced by Berkley Connect CF600. It appeared fairly limp and claimed to iron out some of the inherent problems of Fluoro (stiffness and coiling issues.) I should have known better. I spooled it up and immediately the stuff started leaping off the spool. I managed to get it in a line clip and hoped that it would behave better on the bank. Wrong! The stuff was unruly and several times I had massive bird nest on a cast mid flight and I was only casting 40 yards.

My advice, Fluorocarbon - give it a wide berth. If you are worried about the line behind the trace rising up, I've borrowed a tip from Martin Bowler and put on some matchmans olivettes on the line and they can be slid up and down at will and will easily pop off if a fish goes through weed.

I like using fluro it suits the waters i fish size wise plus i started to use it a few years back now to get rid of the leader. I have only used Tiger line on baitrunner 6000 reels, never had a problem with it casts very well i can fish any swim with it on the lakes i fish, you do have to clean it though.

The thing I have found with 'pure' fluorocarbon lines is that you have to stretch them out before use, which can be a right pain. 

Take your rod and reel and tie the end of the fluorocarbon to a firmly fixed point, then walk the line off the reel keeping it tight. When you get to the end pull it as tight as you can preferably walking back even further, then wind it back onto the reel. 

It still doesn't cast as far as mono, but hopefully you have sorted out the problems of coiling. 

I found the best compromise was a fluorocarbon coated mono or co-polymer line, P-Line Floroclear. It is still not the best casting line compared to mono, but it is OK