Boilies cracking when freezing

• 1 month later...

This could be down to the moisture content of the bait, if the boilie mix was firm to begin with, then as they dry prior to freezing, they may crack. Freezing causes ice crystals to form in the bait, (funnily enough!) Ice expands the bait as it takes up more mass than water. This may cause cracking if there's excess moisture - I found this with fishmeals on rare occasions, especially if not allowed to cool before freezing. Conversely, coarse basemixes such as birdfood bases would allow the baits to dry out quicker, freezing would remove moisture from these baits making the bait more brittle and liable to crack. 

I like to air dry my baits overnight before freezing, that solves the problem. Still can't seem to escape freezer burn though... 

I use freezer bags with the air squeezed out to store in the freezer, then transfer the bait into an air dry bag when taking them out for use to prevent them sweating in a plastic bag.