Thorpe lea

Hi guys happy new year. Thinking of going down Thorpe lea for a social on my bday due to the stock levels and and it’s winter form but everyone I talk says the same thing you don’t want to go there the fish are in a bad way but is it just their  mouths that are bad as I’m not expecting to catch anything special just want a few runs. As my usual lake has slowed right down so thought I’ll try somewhere else

Happy new year to you too. :-)

Unfortunately, my personal opinion of Thorpe Lea is not positive.

Firstly, there was a KHV outbreak back in 2016. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/koi-herpesvirus-disease-outbreak-confirmed-in-surrey Personally, I won't go to anywhere I know has had KHV. It looks like the FHI have lifted the restrictions they had in place.

Secondly, it can be a bit of a scrum to get a swim at opening time.

Thirdly, you have to choose your swim when you arrive and it's marked off on a board at the entrance. If you go for a walk around, you could miss out on your favoured swim. It's probably less of an issue at this time of year.

Finally, back when I did try this place, fish were falling off my hooks all the time due to poor mouth condition. It is a commercial runs water and attracts the casual and less than attentive crowd.

I'm sure there are other places around that are better if you want a bend in your rod.

Edited by InteraX