rig tubing - missed fish

kidda

just recently i've been adding a small peice of tubing on the shank of the hook, mainly to help with tangle's as my hair kept wrapping around the hook.

but now i seem to be missing 80% of my runs.

i'm using a size 8 hooks with the bait sitting 1-2mm from the bottom of the hook. an a 15mm hookbait.

how can i improve this rig? bigger hook maybe? size 6

how long would u say to change it to?

5mm? 10mm?

There is no hard and fast rules. Heres a word for you..... experiment. Come up with your own results cos if stoogi said to you try a 5mm hair from the bottom of the bend of the hook to the bait and your results where still the same then you will have the impression that he is a crap angler and dont know what hes on about.

What works for him may not work for you.

To be honest it may just be me but using silicone down the shank greatly reduces the blow back effect on the rig and I'm convinced the boilie affects the direction of the hook in the mouth.When the Carp 'blows' the bait,the hook should drop into the carp's mouth and take purchase but if it's tight to the boilie vai tubing this won't happen and the hook'll follow the same trajectory as the boilie out of the carp's mouth.

Guest andypalf

When I fish pop ups I use a tiny tiny piece of tubing on the bend of my hook, with the boilie about 2/3mm from the bend. As I use an aligner arrangement with some shrink tube I feel that the angle of the hook point helps hook the fish quite well. And I've had a good success rate with it.

But like I said I only use this for pop ups, bottom baits I wouldn't try it personally. I'd follow Tony's advice...experiment.

To be honest it may just be me but using silicone down the shank greatly reduces the blow back effect on the rig and I'm convinced the boilie affects the direction of the hook in the mouth.When the Carp 'blows' the bait,the hook should drop into the carp's mouth and take purchase but if it's tight to the boilie vai tubing this won't happen and the hook'll follow the same trajectory as the boilie out of the carp's mouth.
Spot on Neil, where this trend came from to place silicon to hold the hair right down on the bend of the hook is a mystery to me. All it does is stop any separation between hook and bait and as you say all that happens is the hook gets blown straight out with the bait. Sheep spring to mind you know what I mean easily led and all that. Personally I would start with at least 1/2in hair but I usually use at least an inch. This year due to the type of waters I fish I have only had 20 carp but Ive not had a hookpull or missed run yet.

Spot on Neil, where this trend came from to place silicon to hold the hair right down on the bend of the hook is a mystery to me. All it does is stop any separation between hook and bait and as you say all that happens is the hook gets blown straight out with the bait. Sheep spring to mind you know what I mean easily led and all that. Personally I would start with at least 1/2in hair but I usually use at least an inch. This year due to the type of waters I fish I have only had 20 carp but Ive not had a hookpull or missed run yet.

Nice to hear from you again,Jez :wink: Hope you're keeping well.

thanks for the advice guys, think i'll try a few of the points people ave said to see if i can sort this problem out.

and about the sheep comment, i ain't followed no-one, definately not easy led by other peoples rigs. like i said in my original post, i only tried this because the hair kept wrapping round the hook. and this has prevented it from doing do so.....

gonna have a fiddle about on my runs water to see if i can sort it out, and improve the rig.

Use the Dissolving Foam to keep the Hair in place. :wink:

Squeeze it flat, then shape it round the hook and hair to hold the hair in place. Quick lick on one edge and press the two sides together.

never thought bout using the pva foam this way, normally only use it to keep the hook suspended when fishing over debris like leaves. will give it a try. thanks

Use the Dissolving Foam to keep the Hair in place. :wink:

Squeeze it flat, then shape it round the hook and hair to hold the hair in place. Quick lick on one edge and press the two sides together.

I use PVA tape as I find it dissolves a tad quicker than compressed dissolving foam. :wink:

I dont compress my pva foam I just stick it on the hair before my boilie and then just stick another piece of it from the other side of the hook shank to this first piece with a quick lick. I use the cc moores foam and find it disolves quick enough when used in this way.