Kamakura hooks

Bite time is known to be the morning, so I'd need to set the trap before dark ideally. I've seen the odd fish show in the middle of the lake. The average depth is 6-7ft. Weed is 3-4, if not to the surface. 

I suppose I need to second guess where they are going to be on the first morning. I will try to spot shows, to be better prepared for the next. 

Any thoughts for depth on the first night? 

3 hours ago, commonly said:

I suppose I need to second guess where they are going to be on the first morning. I will try to spot shows, to be better prepared for the next.

I often use the first night of a 2 night trip as a recce night too, figure out where they are for the next night.

3 hours ago, commonly said:

Any thoughts for depth on the first night? 

Tbh at this time of year id be fishing them all on the deck over bait. Regards depth id be looking to put myself anywhere I see signs of carp.

10 hours ago, commonly said:

Just waiting on delivery of 5k of Scopex squid, got some cultured hook baits too. Has anyone tried them?

Fri and Sat night, can't wait! 

Great bait and hookbaits. When mounting the cultured baits, don’t forget to cut a bit of the coating away for where the boilie stop sits. This will keep the stop tight to the bait when the outer layers disperse 

7 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

This will keep the stop tight to the bait when the outer layers disperse 

Good one, I hadn't considered that. 

My intention would be to trim a bit & similarly a pop up, superglue before putting on the hair.

How much is likely to dispute, do you think? 

This may effect the balance as ideally I like to be 2-3 inch off the bottom. Headscratcher!!! 

When I say trimming, I cut an 1/8th of each, to give flat to flat surface, minute amount of glue to stop the 2 separating, as I found that to an issue in the past, due to the length of hair I have. 

Tend to trim the pop up to get the balance I'm after. 

Edited by commonly
Added to

Guest Dez Animaux

Hook sharpening is far easier than people think, the mistake most people make is not practice enough on some cheap old hooks, and go far too hard at it and burr the point over..

Just go easy and take your time, and refinish the point with the stone only is often all you need..

Only hooks that are bumped over need the file.

Stick with your favourites and get better at sharpening!

Well no surprise I blanked at the weekend, storm conditions Friday, tail end Saturday, drowned packing up yesterday morning. (hate packing up in the rain). 

Spoke to a member about the kamakura hooks, he said no good they get bent?? 

As yonny said they do need a little more work to get that sticky sharp point I'm after. Then I found out for myself, Saturday lunchtime reeled in & it was bent with gape widened. No such problem with the Krank (that was sharpened to perfection) . I won't be tying those overpriced hooks any time soon! 

Keep sharp (not bent) , practice makes perfect! 

Guest Dez Animaux

Stick with your old favourites and don't believe the hype, same goes for bait, lines, loads of things

If it's not letting you down then be loyal to it

It helps if your favourites are good hooks in the first place, I've been using Fox for years now and still never had one straighten out on me

9 hours ago, commonly said:

Spoke to a member about the kamakura hooks, he said no good they get bent?? 

As yonny said they do need a little more work to get that sticky sharp point I'm after. Then I found out for myself, Saturday lunchtime reeled in & it was bent with gape widened. No such problem with the Krank (that was sharpened to perfection) . I won't be tying those overpriced hooks any time soon! 

That's the problem with Korda hooks, they're soft as you-know-what. That's why they're so easy to sharpen, you can have a kitten lick them sharp. Coupled with a relatively fine gauge it doesn't do the confidence much good, which is why historically I've avoided them. That said, assuming the hook penetrates correctly and you don't play the fish too hard they should be OK. I'm praying I don't regret using them at the moment - Imagine how bad I'd feel if I lost the target fish due to a hook opening out!

1 hour ago, yonny said:
1 hour ago, yonny said:
1 hour ago, yonny said:

- Imagine how bad I'd feel if I lost the target fish due to a hook opening out!

I'm no expert bud, but as above use the cat to lick up krank, much stronger imo. I've never had one bend & have been using them since they first came out a few years ago. 100% pukka hook hold. 

I tried the chod (oops, zig!), with foam n old pop up. Couldn't get hold of zig foam nigewoodcock spoke of, but got avid zig balls. Nice presentation. No perch, so that's a step in the right direction.