Weed rig anyone?

skelly23

I was recently fishing a syndicate in milton keynes and as i brought my rods in i found the rigs intirely coverd in weed! :(

:wink: then i thought genius why dont i try a pop-up!

then when i brought that in it was coverd in weed! :cry:

I spoke to a guy and he said the whole lake bed is coverd even on the gravel bars!

Can anyone out there help me??

It can pay to have a search using the term weedy waters. There are loads of threads about :wink:

Try this to start with, its the sticky from the top of the forum, comes complete with a pic

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

get ur marker rod out and find a clear patch! days, weeks, months when you find it you'll be laughing, at least for a while :wink:

also dont forget that they may only be collecting the weed AS ur reeling in!

Problem is that some Carp may not feed on the clear spots :wink:, or do so very warily, so the need to be able to present a bait in the weed is required

get ur marker rod out and find a clear patch! days, weeks, months when you find it you'll be laughing, at least for a while :wink:

How big will this patch be? ive heard that if u tighten down of the lead you will feel a bang, then you know youve hit a clear bottom?

cheers mate

How big will this patch be? ive heard that if u tighten down of the lead you will feel a bang, then you know youve hit a clear bottom?

cheers mate

Every clear patch will be a different size! Some may be the size of dinner plate,another one may be the size of a snooker table.

Problem is that some Carp may not feed on the clear spots :wink:, or do so very warily, so the need to be able to present a bait in the weed is required

As Nick says clear spots are not always the way to go, I now actively look for weedy areas to fish over - you just need the confidence to do it and find presentations that can cope with it.

As someone else said you may be picking up the weed on the retrieve, your rig may have been OK before you reeled in.

Use PVA products to give you the confidence that your hook cannot be masked - and you've nothing to worry about.

Areas of silk weed are full of naturals and are excellent spots to fish, everyman and his dog looks for obvious clear areas - these are likely to have been cleared out by fish and become danger areas where fish use extreme caution, new small clearings are more likely to be current feeding spots.

Watch Nash In Persuit - it goes through all aspects of feature finding, well worth the money!

My mates just done a week in a very weedy swim - he had one fish all week fishing a large clear area behind the thick weed beds - the fish were in the area all week, so should he have fished the tiny gaps in the thick weed 'yes' coz thats where they feel safe.

If you find an area where the fish like to visit and this area is very weedy with little in the way of clear spots then one tactic i use, mainy on long sessions is a straight pop up, inline lead, and the hooklink set slightly deeper than the weed. To this i just put a pop up on and go for it, launch it in and bait just boilies with a catty in thr area, not too closely baited so the fish search out individual baits in the weed.........

Crude as you like and will never be one to read about in the comics but hey it works and works well, the reason...... how many people do you see try this?

Another thing, like the guys say you can try and find clear areas, great but a little trick if you find them easily everyone can so try the tactic above cast in the weed around the clear area, the fish will often hold around the edge picking off the loose baits..... :D

I always think the best bet on any weedy water is the fringe at the margin and also what you find on most lakes, if you pick the biggest tree on the far margin and cast 50-60 yards you will find a clear or clearer area almost guarenteed :shock: fish will know there is often bait there so patrol and eat the stray loose feed.