Bite Alarm Batteries

Hi all..couple of questions.

What batterie brand do you tend to use for your alarms....i use energizer that seem to me last quite a long time.

BUT...from November i tend not to fish til around April...so what do you do if not using for a while...

1. Leave batteries in and just turn all off.

2. Leave them in but turn all opposite way.

3. Completely remove.

Thanks

If I knew for certain that I wouldn't be venturing out for the duration I guess I'd take them out. But I can never guarantee that so tend to leave mine in and just make sure my alarms are switched off properly. Easy to do with my alarms as the hard cases will not fit over the alarms unless the toggle switch is in the "off" position.

14 minutes ago, smufter said:

If I knew for certain that I wouldn't be venturing out for the duration I guess I'd take them out. But I can never guarantee that so tend to leave mine in and just make sure my alarms are switched off properly. Easy to do with my alarms as the hard cases will not fit over the alarms unless the toggle switch is in the "off" position.

Cheers smuft...it is a certain as ive never winter fished (no plans too).

I would just leave them in , and dont turn the batteries round it messes with the electrics so I have been told.

I use Duracell as I have faith in them ,but thats not to say other brands are not equally as good.

I have a hummingbird Smartcast bought around 2005 with Duracell's in and they have only been changed once , although it only gets used twice a year maybe

if its a certain then they would be out, have you seen what a leaking battery can do to your contacts???

if you use them regular then you will be aware when the batts are dead and change them, but just stored then they could leak for a month or two then its an expensive repair or (as in most cases) new alarms.

as an aside and to demonstrate the destructive capabilities of a leaking battery, once when we went away on holiday my wife left her tri color gold necklace on an upstairs windowsill and there was a battery nearby that had been taken from a dead remote,when we got back the necklace was spotted and she went to put it in her jewelry box, the batt had leaked a clear fluid and it pooled beneath the necklace, as she tried to pick it up the gold just turned to dust, (fortunately it was covered lol) if it can de-nature a gold necklace what do you think it will do to your delicate alarm innards?

I'd say remove them better save than sorry you don't want them leaking. 👍

We were sorting some of the kids old toys out this week and found a couple of furbys that had the batterys left in one had cheapo pound land batteries and the other duracell. The cheaper one were OK but duracell had leaked all over made a real mess. I wouldn't want that happening to my alarms. 

Take them out mate not worth the risk. 👍

If I definitely wasn't going for a while, I'd remove the batteries just in case..... I'd also take the opportunity to give my buzzers a general clean up and leave them in the airing cupboard for a week or so with the backs off to thoroughly get rid of any moisture that may be lurking...….. I would most definitely be replacing the batteries with some new ones, once back on the bank..... I trust Duracell batteries to last a bit longer and as soon as one starts to go (usually the receiver), then I will change all of them at once.. 3 alarms and receiver...….