Marker rod question

Hi all,

I have purchased a 5lb tc Spod rod so that's sorted now but i want to get a Marker rod too.

Would i be best buying another Spod rod as a Marker rod and marking 6inchs and 1ft marks on it or would i be best buying either a 3lb or a 3.25lb Carp rod and adding the mark or, a designated Marker rod?

The reason i'm asking is that a few people have said that Marker rods are generally a bit too soft and the heavier Spod rods give better feedback on the tip.

I will probably be using Braid on both rods or 15lb mono on the Spod rod and 30lb braid on the Marker rod.

Your thoughts please guys

Andy

Personally I have found I can feel features better with my marker rod with braid and a mono shockleader.

I tried using a spod rod years ago on Ardleigh, but to get any feel on the lakebed I had to use 5oz leads. That and retrieving a spod meant the braid wore a groove in my tip and butt ring; since then I only ever use mono with a shockleader on my spod rod.

I am putting loaded medium Spombs over 100metres, ironically further than I can now cast with my 2.75lb Marker rod as it has softened over the years.

I have also used a 2.5lb fishing rod in the long distant past, but with the advent of braid, which I do not fish with due to my concerns on my waters of needing a leader to prevent damage to fish, I came to get a proper marker rod.

I will say that with the increased size and buoyancy of modern marker floats, you need a larger lead. My found Korda marker float requires at least 4oz to feel the lakebed, as the float is so buoyant, compared to the 3oz of my last ESP Mini Marker, which I could see at range until I smashed it with a cast actually hitting it. Other large marker floats are the same, although if you can buy a decent bottom end pike float, it is a whole lot cheaper than carp taxed 'proper' marker floats.

Personal choice is a designed marker rod, spod rod and my fishing rods. 

Just use your spod rod bud...…. A decent marker float and lead is quite a payload...….. Marker rod is generally too soft for spod work at any real distance but a spod rod will be ok for markering………  I'm looking to buy one myself after giving my 3.75 marker rod away, it was a bit soft for getting a spomb out too far. OK with mini spomb, but that means more casts...……….. Your spod rod will be ok for markering, less kit to lug about, too ,with just the one set up...…. Just tie a big loop in the end of the braid and you can quickly interchange marker set up to spod and vice versa...…….. Find a spot with marker set up, clip up on reel, quick change to spod set up on same rod, and you will hit the spot bang on when baiting...…...Allow for water depth if it's a tight spot..

Depends really on how much you need to fine tune your markering, or whether you are just looking for a clear spot...….

Edited by B.C.

2 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Just use your spod rod bud...…. A decent marker float and lead is quite a payload...….. Marker rod is generally too soft for spod work at any real distance but a spod rod will be ok for markering………  I'm looking to buy one myself after giving my 3.75 marker rod away, it was a bit soft for getting a spomb out too far. OK with mini spomb, but that means more casts...……….. Your spod rod will be ok for markering, less kit to lug about, too ,with just the one set up...…. Just tie a big loop in the end of the braid and you can quickly interchange marker set up to spod and vice versa...…….. Find a spot with marker set up, clip up on reel, quick change to spod set up on same rod, and you will hit the spot bang on when baiting...…...Allow for water depth if it's a tight spot..

Depends really on how much you need to fine tune your markering, or whether you are just looking for a clear spot...….

As good advice as that is, I do actually aim at my marker float, so need to use both spod and marker, hence my preference.

I just use my carp rod with a bare lead to mark up. I carry a spod rod, needs must, but a marker is just one more thing to carry which offers no major benefit imo.

Never use a float tbh. I can count the lead down to get a rough depth. Feeding carp probably serve as my most effective marker. If I can find a clear spot where they are or have been active I'm more than happy.

2 hours ago, B.C. said:

I like those mini marker floats, I trashed one by stepping on it, but the 2 pack lasted me 10yrs......

Only problem is I can't see the black topped one, so it is sat waiting for a tip top of blaze orange paint.

1 hour ago, Andy Hull said:

I already have the spod rod and reel so was wondering if i should buy a marker rod or another spod rod (etc)

seems i'd be better buying another spod rod for markering then?

I find my marker rod invaluable. 

On Brackens I could be looking for exact spots on a feature, and the marker float gives me something to aim at with bait, spod or Spomb. (Or massive stringers)

I also find, while I can do Yonny's method of counting the lead down, (roughly a metre per second), using a marker float on a link, I can find clearer patches in weed. If I just cast and count, I may not know exactly where the weed starts and finishes as I can't see it, whereas carefully dragging it back I can feel the clear or clearer spots, and then count the float up and down.

I have lost count of the fish I have caught after baiting up to my marker. I can do 'wraps', or mark my line, but sometimes on a large inland sea, the marker float is extremely useful, especially if as I did on Earith, you map out the whole lake with exact depths. 

This week, the marker float served another purpose, it kept idiot sailing boats and safety boat from going over my line😉

To be honest, I have been using a marker rod and spod rod since the 1990's, and they are both a necessity to me.

14 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I find my marker rod invaluable. 

using a marker float on a link, I can find clearer patches in weed. If I just cast and count, I may not know exactly where the weed starts and finishes as I can't see it, whereas carefully dragging it back I can feel the clear or clearer spots, and then count the float up and down.

I have lost count of the fish I have caught after baiting up to my marker. I can do 'wraps', or mark my line, but sometimes on a large inland sea, the marker float is extremely useful, especially if as I did on Earith, you map out the whole lake with exact depths. 

This week, the marker float served another purpose, it kept idiot sailing boats and safety boat from going over my line😉

To be honest, I have been using a marker rod and spod rod since the 1990's, and they are both a necessity to me.

Morning all,

I'm going to go with getting a dedicated Marker rod, i'm not disregarding what others have said but would like one for some of salokcinnodrog's above reasons.

So, Would you get a Spod rod as a Marker rod or would you go with an actual Marker rod or a 3lb fishing rod marked up with 6 inch and 1ft marks?

Thanks

Andy

Spod rod without question, I've yet to find a marker rod that will cast and work properly at distance. The further you cast the more buoyant (bigger) float you'll need to successfully pop up, which inherently means more weight from the float and lead. 

You may not be casting the distance at the moment but what if you fancy fishing a bigger lake in the future? I certainly wouldn't want to feel under gunned. 

Tie a 6" loop in the end of your marker braid to make changing between a marker float or spomb/spod a doddle.

2.75 to 3lb tc marker rods just don't cut it with me. Plus, don't neglect the size of reel. My normal fishing reels are 5000's but my marker/spomb reel is a 5500. Anything I can do to get that extra distance will make everything else that little easier.

The best floats I've use are from a company called MCF, I use a number of their floats but the Thunderbirds really are the best all round marker float.