Helicopter leads and quick links

Carpbell_ll

Been toying with the idea of putting one of my rods back on a helicopter lead as I think it would be a better set up for my pop up rig than the inline, which really was sinking into soft mud the other day. What i would like to do is add a quick link to the mainline to take the hook rig. I normally set my rods up on the bank with an inline, but i would prefer to do the heli at home and be able to add the rig and lead when i start fishing, which would mean threading any beads and quick link on at home and one of the safety release systems for the lead.

Can anyone see any issues with a quick link on the mainline, i use a loop to attach the rig when on a inline lead and slide a bit of tubing over the link, would do the same on a heli with a quick link too.

See Korda have recalled there safety release system, think Gardener do one as well? Used the korda one before and found it ok, did think that if they used a slightly lesser quality plastic there might be problems with the plastic breaking on the cast.

I have been using the fox Heli system and connect my leads with a quick link, my swivel stays on the main line and I just attach the hook link with a loop on the end .. I normally use a multi rig and just do a loop at each end .

I’ve got the new fox drop off help system. Works a treat. Thread on a top bead, a quick link and another bead (or not if you don’t want to) then the Fox system and off you go. Handy as it has a tapered sleeve if you wish naked chods which is removable in the event you fish leaders or leadcore. 

Been using these at the lead end, just to stop any swivels biting into the main line under tension..... They do have a small hole in them at the top, so if you wanted to create a drop off system with some braid and foam nugget you can.... Tbh, I prefer the lead to stay on with a heli set up, which will aid the rig sliding off in the event of a break..... If it's weedy, I use the little Gardner clips to attach the lead, which will let you cast ok, but will open up and drop the lead under tension...….

s-l500.jpg

clips.jpg