Berkley or sensor

17 minutes ago, Carpaddiction said:

Hi, in your opinions which mainline mono is best, Berkley big game trilene or Diawa sensor?

Thanks

Welcome to Carp.com.

You will get varying opinions on which line is best, from loads of people.

Bearing in mind I have been carp fishing since the 1980's, and have used various different lines over the years. In the 1980's I was using Sylcast, until the introduction of Berkley Big Game, around 1992/3 ish so I switched to that. I think within two or three sessions I took it off the reels, it was awful for me, and others on the lake.

On casting it would twist up, and sometimes crack-off mid cast. Line twist itself was awful. I went back to my favourite line, and started testing everything I used on the reels

Later in the 1990's I was pointed in the direction of Daiwa Sensor by Simon Wheeler, who was their rep at the time. I have never been able to fault it. 

There are now only 3 lines I ever use, Daiwa Sensor in brown, Gardner Pro and P-Line Floroclear.

I can't speak for the sensor, as I haven't tried it, but the big game is a fairly decent line. Its fairly strong and has decent abrasion resistance, but while fairly OK on a fixed spool/spinning reel, its far, far better on a multiplier reel, which the line was more designed for, I think.

sensor is a staple of many an angler. Used it all the time when growing up. I have three spare spools with 22lb sensor brown for river fishing. Only downside to it is that it doesnt sink as quickly as more modern monos. I'd look at the PB products mono...18lb in 0.30 diameter and it sinks like a brick. One of the lads on the social with me at the weekend was using the 24lb version @ 0.35mm diameter. 

I'm tempted to switch from gardner GTHD next time i re-spool

Both Sensor and Big Game are reliable lines but they've both been round for 20+ years. There are lines available now that out-perform them in every way possible. They might cost an extra fiver/tenner but if there's one thing you shouldn't skimp on it's line.

13 hours ago, Carpaddiction said:

in your opinions which mainline mono is best

Depends what you want it for buddy. Different mono's do different things better than others.

- For distance casting go for a pre-stretched line (e.g. Fox Exocet etc.). They cast fantastically but aint so good where abrasion resistance is required.

- For general angling without too much weed go for one of the new low stretch/partially pre-stretched lines (e.g. Shimano Technium, Gardner GT-HD etc.) These cast well and have half decent abrasions resistance.

- General angling in weedy situations go for an all-rounder (ESP Synchro, Gardner Pro etc.). Cast OK, nice and strong.

- Heavy weed go for a heavy line (Gardner hydroTuff, Rig Marole SLS etc.). Not so good for casting but you'd land a bus in a forest.

There's no such thing as a line that will do everything perfectly (although the low stretch options are getting there). Think about what's important to you and go for the most suitable.