3 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

f I could push them in id have no problem but when theres fist sized bit of stone and pebbles that make up about 60% of the swim ud need arm like thor to push a peg in

I've had banks like this and I agree , they are a nightmare. I find that pitching near a decent sized tree (obviously not in high winds) is best.... Years of leaf litter mulching down will usually mean there's a layer of earth, you can angle your pegs into........... Mallets mate, you just shouldn't really use them on the bank imo, the guy a couple of swims down who's been patiently waiting with his traps nicely set would be pulling his hair out, he might only get 1 sesh a month to fish...

6 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

once they slide down the wings nipped into the metal stop them sliding back up

im sure some1 said it was rubber and not hard plastic

a rubber mallet

if I could push them in id have no problem but when theres fist sized bit of stone and pebbles that make up about 60% of the swim ud need arm like thor to push a peg in

In that case I must have arms like Thor😉😅

Don't push them in, screw them in. If it gets stuck on a stone or flint, wobble it, you'll feel it push free, then screw again. You may need to try a different spot or angle within the peg ring, but they will go in. The worst I have had to do is step on a peg to push then down the last little bit.

The peg I pictured is just one on the movie bank which are all hardcore, there are 5 more on that bank alone, and many others are gravel based swims. By doing the way mentioned above, I get my pegs in without using a mallet. 

you ever tried wobbling a peg around a stone that 2/3" across only to finds theres 3 more just like it further down

all you end up with is a massive hole that your pegs don't stay in

have you ever seen the road stone they use as a base material for driveways well its that with and inch of bark on top

luckily I don't fish at that venue anymore

17 hours ago, B.C. said:

Mallets mate, you just shouldn't really use them on the bank imo, the guy a couple of swims down who's been patiently waiting with his traps nicely set would be pulling his hair out, he might only get 1 sesh a month to fish...

I have been that guy.... it's a nightmare. There is nothing worse then being on fish then all chance ruined (for you AND him) by some bloke smashing pegs into the bank. A few years ago I packed up and went home at ~ 9 pm after some geezer showed up with one of these super powered head torches and set his bivvy up with a mallet on the other side of this tiny bay. Game over.

I've never used a mallet, don't carry one, and I've fished on some terrible ground. Where there's a will there's a way I've found.

Honestly, rain permitting, I'd choose to sleep under the stars over using a mallet.

1 hour ago, harpz_31 said:

you ever tried wobbling a peg around a stone that 2/3" across only to finds theres 3 more just like it further down

all you end up with is a massive hole that your pegs don't stay in

have you ever seen the road stone they use as a base material for driveways well its that with and inch of bark on top

luckily I don't fish at that venue anymore

Harpz,

I do fish on hardcore banks, and that massive hole by standing on the peg, you then 'kick' gravel, stones and grit to backfill the hole. That peg I pictured, is on a driveway to the sailing club, I don't get the luxury of an inch of bark on top of it, maybe if I am lucky I might get broken down leaf mulch or mud and grit washed from the wood behind the drive.

4 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

Nightmare scenario buddy, and I've been there..... If it's that bad, I'll try and get away with 3 pegs , 1 at the back and 1 each side of the doorway. I have "handballed" gravel out around the pegging points before to about 5 inches deep and used my foot to push the pegs in to below ground level and then back filled and buried them. ( I can usually find 20mins once set up , to do this if needed) I've also added elasticated loops to the pegging rings of my brolly, 5mm bungie cord, gives you a few more inches of ground to play about with in trying to find a spot for the peg to go in..... My little Trakker bivvy already has these and they are brill.