Spod/marker rod

Make sure the spod rod is strong enough to cast the spod or Spomb you intend casting!

A fully loaded large Spomb probably weighs about 8oz, not many rods are capable of casting that (Big Bertha and her DD's were able to).

My marker rod is only 2.75lb test, again a Century, but that has put a float and 3oz lead over 100metres, and I can feel everything as I drag it back.

On some items, buy cheap, buy twice.

When I first fished Ardleigh, I bought a cheaper range spod rod, from a top manufacturer, it did not last more than a year before I had killed it, and had had braid wear through the tip and butt rings. I already owned the Century marker rod even then, and it is still going, over 10 years on.

49 minutes ago, Gazlaaar said:

Just to give a different prospective, you don't necessarily need a designated marker or spod rod. I use my fishing rods as a marker and a spomb/spod rod, using the smaller nash marker spot on kit and a medium spomb or fox impact spod. 

With a small Gardner Bait Pocket rocket you can put bait out with your standard fishing rods. In fact, at times I cast out a load of stringers on my normal fishing rods, and my 'last  cast' gets left out there. I know then that my bait is right on the spot.

7 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

With a small Gardner Bait Pocket rocket you can put bait out with your standard fishing rods. In fact, at times I cast out a load of stringers on my normal fishing rods, and my 'last  cast' gets left out there. I know then that my bait is right on the spot.

I've been doing this for nearly two seasons now, it eliminates the need for a separate spod or marker rod for me. The midi spomb weights 5 ounces fully filled the impact spod was slightly heavier. My rigs are designed to accommodate a change from rigs to spombs to just leading about, plus the lead set up items would all fit through a 16mm tip ring, meaning, if I needed to change over to braid for markering, it was quite a simple affair, without having to strip everything down :)

I use my 9 foot 2.75 greys stalkers with a small spomb on them no problem

stepping up to the medium spomb made it unwieldy and didnt fill me with confidence they wouldnt break.

but small one no problem all day everyday i would be happy

i have a spare spool filled with braid that i use for leading around or using a marker

Edited by framey