Baiting Pole

6 hours ago, greekskii said:

As for stiffening it up, would it solve the problem bu just ensuring the entire length is filled with foam? 

Totally agree mate... I rushed it a bit and there were deffo some air locks in their....  Might need a line of tiny holes along them to ensure the foam can expand fully inside and let the air out........ I'm open to suggestions lol :)

8 hours ago, B.C. said:

Totally agree mate... I rushed it a bit and there were deffo some air locks in their....  Might need a line of tiny holes along them to ensure the foam can expand fully inside and let the air out........ I'm open to suggestions lol :)

As you say, drilling small holes down one side opposite to the side you inject the foam in should work. Maybe a trial and error thing though. 

What are the properties of expanding foam when it gets wet? Does it get heavy at all? 

15 minutes ago, greekskii said:

What are the properties of expanding foam when it gets wet? Does it get heavy at all? 

No mate... Once cured, it's air tight and waterptoof.... Like a waterptoof honeycomb (if applied correctly) ...... To be fare I bought the cheapest one, I'm sure there are prob better quality versions with better expansion... It's used a lot in the window fitting trade to seal gaps when fitting..... So it's basically weatherproof... the bubbles are tiny and it would only be any broken bubbles on the surface of the foam that could hold a little bit of moisture.

It needs a little thought, as once a can is opened and used, you really need to use it all at once, it sticks to anything and the nozzle will block up , as this too, will start to cure, there are cleaning agents sold separately to unblock the nozzle, but that's just more expense..... A decent sized can of the foam is around £5, and it did the 16mtres with a bit of waste...... I'm gonna mess about with the spare lengths over the weekend and another can of foam, try and work out a way of totally filling them.......

There is a case to say that the foam may not have fully cured inside the poles I did, as I was a bit hasty to test it and only left it for 18hrs and not the 48 that I intended...... I think it's known as "learning on the job" lol :)

Good to know that. Thought it would be the case. 

I think to reduce snakeyness a different kind of connector would help. As with poles, they fit in to each other with around 6inches of overlap to strengthen them. A lot more work but sanding down 6 inches on one side to fit inside the other pole may work. But then how secure is it, or if jammed in then how do you get it out. 

Rain has stopped play until the weekend..... Even gave the Sunday work party a swerve, did a bit on Friday for another lake, but this weather has put me back on a couple of other things, so I'll try and pick up where I left off in a few days once the weather brightens up a bit........ Hopefully :)

1 hour ago, rob79 said:
B.C. - excellent work, I really appreciate what you've done here, especially the photo's...

I'm definitely going to make one, at the moment keeping an eye on ya progress - the good tips, & any pitfalls are welcome before i start, looking forward to the next instalment...cheers mate!

Thanks for the kind words mate. weather's been a wash out this week. Soon as I've caught up on a few non fishing bits I'll try and get my head round sorting this out..... There's a ToolStation near me that does 3mtre lengths quite cheap, about the same per mtr...... Might be worth buying these and chopping them in half, each length being 1.5 mtres instead of 2mtres, may make them easier to totally fill with the foam.... I think it would be difficult to make a dead straight one as the conduit , being black, absorbs the heat from the sun on the side facing up, and expands slightly, causing a slight buckle as the underside stays cooler...... I'm not too bothered if it looks a bit snakey, as long as it does the job.....:)

23 hours ago, B.C. said:

Thanks for the kind words mate. weather's been a wash out this week. Soon as I've caught up on a few non fishing bits I'll try and get my head round sorting this out..... There's a ToolStation near me that does 3mtre lengths quite cheap, about the same per mtr...... Might be worth buying these and chopping them in half, each length being 1.5 mtres instead of 2mtres, may make them easier to totally fill with the foam.... I think it would be difficult to make a dead straight one as the conduit , being black, absorbs the heat from the sun on the side facing up, and expands slightly, causing a slight buckle as the underside stays cooler...... I'm not too bothered if it looks a bit snakey, as long as it does the job.....:)

y'know BC i just had a crazy thought,, can you get hold of shedule 40 near you? its american spec water pipe and it has double thich walls.

theres a kid on youtube who builds 80lb draw bows out of the stuff

bit expensive on amazon but a local sup will be well cheap :lol:

11XNiIB4tsL._AC_US218_.jpg

Edited by cyborx

16 minutes ago, cyborx said:

y'know BC i just had a crazy thought,, can you get hold of shedule 40 near you? its american spec water pipe and it has double thich walls.

theres a kid on youtube who builds 80lb draw bows out of the stuff

bit expensive on amazon but a local sup will be well cheap :lol:

11XNiIB4tsL._AC_US218_.jpg

I will look into it mate :)

14 hours ago, B.C. said:

Unfortunately , the schedule 40 works out at about £2 per foot, as far as I can see so far.... Bit pricey really.... But does look a whole lot stronger..

are you sure you were checking the right pipe dimentions BC? what we call 1inch is their internal bore.

you have to shop arround but just over £1 is quite possible, example:

1" display grade upvc pipe, internal 24.5mm ex 33.4mm wall thickness 3.3mm

20 x 1mtr lengths = £53.80

del to uk (2-3 days) £3.99

vat = £10.76

tot £68.55/20= £3.42per mtr/3.28= £1.04 per ft delivered.

https://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/-White-Pipe-1m-Length_c_2923.html

2 hours ago, sharpy86 said:

I assumed that the figure quoted by BC included that - hence the difference?

not unless he can get it at a trade price better than i can,,,

OOPS just gave my bloke a ring and i can now get it at 50p per mtr, summat to do with stock being sold off in advance of a new EU directive coming down :lol:

16 hours ago, cyborx said:

not unless he can get it at a trade price better than i can,,,

OOPS just gave my bloke a ring and i can now get it at 50p per mtr, summat to do with stock being sold off in advance of a new EU directive coming down :lol:

wow...works out a tenner for a 20 meter pole BARGAIN, just wondering if this thicker stuff is going to be a problem with extra weight?

• 2 weeks later...
I did a work party on our club water, and i must say found a few good swims that this bait pole would come in to its own...so want to get cracking and make one!

Greekskii & cyborx good points on using larger diameter conduit would be great for the last few sections (bank side) the only issue is screw connectors? because of different diameter/thread?

I'll be off on me bike at the weekend down to wicks & screw fix to see want i can get...

BTW, B.C. Any updates? CHEERS!

Edited by rob79

42 minutes ago, rob79 said:
I did a work party on our club water, and i must say found a few good swims that this bait pole would come in to its own...so want to get cracking and make one!

Greekskii & cyborx good points on using larger diameter conduit would be great for the last few sections (bank side) the only issue is screw connectors? because of different diameter/thread?

I'll be off on me bike at the weekend down to wicks & screw fix to see want i can get...

BTW, B.C. Any updates? CHEERS!

it shouldnt matter with connectors. you should be able to get them to connect different diameter pipes, say a 32mm (1" I/D) to a 25mm (3/4" I/D).