Help With Bivvy

Hi,

I'm new to angling so I'm just getting my gear together I fish with my son and we are looking for a good reliable, strong and easy to put up bivvy. I bought a TGF Day Shelter but I hate it terrible in wind. I was looking at a Trakker Tempest V2 or Trakker Trident AS but I have read lots of bad reviews on forums for the Trakker products which is making me think twice as its a lot of money to not be happy with it.

Can any recommend me something?

Thanks

Are you looking at doing overnights, or just as a day shelter?

If its just days for the both of you in the same swim then an Oval Umbrella should do you fine, worked for years:wink:

Chub, TFG, and goodness knows most tackle manufacturers all make Oval Brollies. 

If overnights, then Smufter started this thread a while back, it does go to two pages, so I think there are a few recommendations on there:

2 hours ago, mrorange2 said:

I'd like the option of overnighter when it gets to spring\summer i'll have a look through that thread .

is it for the two of you to share (2 man) or are you after one each (1 man), do you want quick and simple, cheap and cheerfull or all year rounder, the permutations are almost endless.

answers to three questions will put you in the right area

1) what size do you need

2) what is your budget

3) how much use will it get

i started with a huchinson two man old skool, could sleep 4 easily and was a female dog to put up, i then 'progressed' to a TFG force 8 one man pop up and while a doddle to put up (fastest was 3.5 mins including pegs) and quite roomy i missed swinging my cat round before bed, i then 'upgraded' to the force 8 two man and finally i was happy (cat wasnt though).

the TFG 2 man lasted me 5 years and never leaked or gave me reason to moan but we carpers just love to move on so this year wifey gave me a nice shiney new hurricane AS  two man bivvy by carpzone that has all the room that you will ever need.

welcome to the forum Btw

Thanks cyborx,

id say a 2 man he's only 8 at moment.

budget suppose cheap as I can get but want something to last well so wouldn't shy away from an expensive one like the Trakker Tempest V2 if it was going to last for years.

use wise this year we have been going most weekends and I don't see that changing any time soon.

The JRC STi 2 man is very good for the price, it will do everything that a more expensive Trakker shelter will and they do last and condensation is vastly reduced through the venting.

I've more recently bought the AVID HQ mk2 2 Man - bigger inside than a standard pram hood design and good quality - no complaints.

1 hour ago, mrorange2 said:

Thanks guys for the help I have bought a cayman 2 man with over wrap :) 

Glad you got sorted.

I have removed a couple of posts from this thread, and set them up on a thread of their own in UK Carp Fishing in a thread called Young Adventurer. The reason behind it is I think its worth a topic in its own right, and any way we can get more youngsters into fishing is good for us all.

The link to that thread