Problems with hooks and shrink tubing.

tonybranno

I have just got back from a head banging 2 dayer. I had 10 takes throughout the session and i only managed to land 4 fish (and not one of them was over 5lb :evil: ). On some of the missed takes i didnt even connect with the fish on the run or the hook pulled out soon after i connected. On inspection of the hook, the point was either bent over or the hook was straightened out. The hooks im using are the barbless version of the ESP Big T Raptor.

I use a small section of shrink tubing on the hook shank to help the hook flip over and to shrink this i usually immerse the hook and shrink tube in boiling water for between 5 - 10 seconds. Now here is my question.....

Do you think that shrinking the tubing in boiling water for this amount of time is actually making the metal in the hook soft and this is why im losing so many fish?

I also use small plastic line clips on my rods placed 6" in front of the alarm to help bite indication, is this also causing the hook to lose its hookhold rather than help create a better one?

Quite a few questions guys i know but the lake really beat me up this time but im not gonna say its one of those things cos i do think that i have a real technical problem which needs addressing before the next session.

Cheers lads for any help.

Cant see any of the things you've mentioned affecting the hook hold or damaging the hook itself.

I steam mine though, but still cant see dipping it in boiling water being detrimental to it in any way, its hardly enough time to melt the metal is it.

Maybe you have got a dodgy batch? - I've only ever had a hook straighten a few times.

Weird indeed - I wouldn't go changing anything you do because of this, maybe just stick a different hook pattern on and go fishing as soon as possible to see if it improves things, or to identify if it was the hook.

The carp gremlins strike again, you come back stronger for these unlucky or challenging times.

Chin up and good luck next time

I had a exactly the same but with some barbed Big Ts,Tony.5 out of the 7 used had the hookpoint folded inwards after pulling out of fish.I returned these to Dave Ellyat at ESP and to be fair he said he was sending them to suppliers for inspection.To be fair he was more than helpfull and did send me a fair selection of hooks to compensate about 10 packs in all.Haven't had any problems with them since.For the record I wasn't using shrink tubing just a straight forward combilink.

• 2 weeks later...

Have had much the same problem with B T Raptor hooks myself. Went from using Korda barbless hooks to barbed B T 's and have had problems missing runs and losing fish that "seemed" well hooked or runs than "seemed" unmissable.

Have probably had worse results with barbed than barbless hooks since i changed !

Do not think boiling water is the reason, maybe just the way the hook is curved or how sharp the point is ?

I for one shall not be using them again, have lost all confidence in them.

Thats not to say they are a crap hook or anything, just not for me.......

Have had the problem of points turning over on Gravelly waters. Every point would be turned over after hitting the gravel, in the end I was forced to switch over to an Inturned point pattern to avoid it.

Another cause could be the hookpoint hitting bone in the fishes mouth. On the smaller fish you landed where was the hookhold in the mouth?

Adjust the rig/hair length to compensate.