Wrekin pool telford

I know its an easy water

but the resa i just cnt seem to catch from i do well on many other telford waters but i just cant catch frm resa watever i do.

i just dont know wat im doing wrong its really annoying me lol and im not a bad angler i may be young but i been carp fishing for a few years and i am a decent angler lol

has anyone got any tips on catchin from the place i feel like and idiot writing this but i just have no luk there all i have caught is a bream :(

please help :(

pete :)

Spend a day on the place with a plumbing rod and you will find a plateau that comes up a few feet off the bottom, stick a pva bag on there and you will catch.

Does your fountain of knowledge never end?

:D

No lol, just fished the place a wee bit in the past :lol:

• 1 month later...

I used to live half a mile from the Res'er and spent many of my early carping days up there. In fact, I fished it every other day one summer holiday and the only other angler I ever saw that year was the bailiff, who used to charge me £1 (or not at all)!

During a bout of spawning activity I counted 23 different carp, all carp I'd seen in the water before. I was stood in the middle of the bistort just taking it all in.

I believe there were more carp at one stage, but according to a chap in Wellington market they were seen as 'freebies' by owners of other lakes, who took out many of the mirrors, leaving the 'cricket bat' carp I spent my time chasing.

Back in those days – more because I had just the one rod and no idea what I was doing – the lake was fairly tricky. I'd stalk the odd fish but that was it. As soon as I hit my teens and became able to fish at range the fishing became fairly simple, despite the low stock. My biggest was just over 20lb, a two-tone mirror that was known to be the largest in the lake at that time.

Some local guys started rotating two swims (Peg 1 and the Wall opposite) and baiting really heavily, and the two-tone mirror was caught at 22lbs that same Autumn.

Since then, the lake was let go by whoever was running it and the new people stocked quite a few carp. Today, when the water's down, the fishing gets mega easy because the cover of the bistort is taken away from the carp and they have to spend their time in open water.

I haven't been up there myself for many moons, but keep in touch with guys on my street who go up there for floater sport and after work sessions, and they always seem to catch a few. From what I understand the lake did a 28lber last August, although the same carp was caught at 23lb two weeks later so make of that what you will.

It's a beautiful water and for my money, fishing from The Wall with a view across the bistort and lilys up beyond the Ercall and Wrekin is about as good a view as you'll find on any carp water.

As for tips on how to catch them? 99% of mine were off the surface, regardless of the weather or time of year.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up an old subject !!!! im fishing the Wrekin Res tomorrow and has any one got information on the stock of fish in their .... probably hard to say reading the thread and it seeming like a freebie pool ! and different methods, rigs, baits that work and the good pegs !!! :)

Thanks !!!

yeah i spent a day their very quite had one run all day 11lb common my first carp out of their ! ... i spoke to a block who actually night fished it the night before who was still their with his bivvy n what not he said he had 3 out at night but saw no proof so ill let you decide if true or not

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been fishing this pool for 2years now and it's impossible I have tried everything ... different rigs popups wafters boilies sweetcorn floating bread and I know I'm fishing the swim because I can see the fish but why won't they bite I've pulled 2x 15s in the last 2 years

Edited by Mrturner
Auto correct

It's not a difficult lake there loads of fish in there. Used to catch 5 or 6 in a morning on average 10 years ago. My mate fished it beginning of this year was avarageing 5 fish in a morning so nothing changed since I fished it. Get there early first light til 10am or 4pm til dark. They like floaters so can be productive between those times on the top.  Simple rigs hair rig sharp hook, lead clip set up, decent boilie with 50 freebies over each rod. Fish tight to pot beds or if water low anyware in open water. 

• 2 years later...