Hook Pulls

david_slater

What are your opinions of the Korda Wide Gapes?

I have read many good opinions but know several anglers that have complained of hook pulls when using them and have gone back to their previous hooks (Gardner and Mugga) and have not lost a fish since.

I am currently using the Korda wide gapes and have caught several fish on them so far. However I recently lost a decent fish after playing it at 60m range for less than 30 seconds. Could it be just one of those things... :?:

Yes Kev that's what I think too... everyone has his or her favourites; that confidence thing.

You read plenty of famous anglers using these Korda hooks and raving about them (and not all of them work for Mr. Fairbrass I hassen to add)

:wink:

I will carry on using them for the time being at least before I draw my own conclusions.

Mate - I use Korda wide gapes (pattern B), Korda longshanks, Carp R Us nailers, fangs and Richworth 1st contact incisors.

They are all very sharp and strong and could pull depending on where they go in, its just the luck of the draw IMO.

Use what you've got confidence in - coz thats all that matters, they're all good products.

Hookpulls should not be a major part of fishing, but every hookpull should be looked at carefully. Don't just blame the hook!

The first thing to look at is the Rig Length, and the length of the hair. If you regularly have hookpulls then the chances are the hooklink and/or hair length is too short. Easy enough to change.

Incidentally every time you hook a fish you should check where you have hooked it. If its hooked at the extremity of the lip then the rig length may need adjusting as well. If its at the back of the mouth or has scraped down the mouth then the rig is too long.

Next thing is the baiting you are doing. If you are fishing just PVA Bags or over very little bait then the Carp moving may be behaving very warily near the Hook. The same effects can happen from fishing with Hi-Attract Baits over Pellets, either PVA Bagged or as a single bait over the pellets. The Hookbait is not similar to the Freebait, and so the Carp are wary of it. Simple answer, learn to use an effective Food Source bait, and fish effectively with it. Pre-bait and put it in regularly.

Final thing that may cause Hookpulls; The Rod may be too stiff. Fishing with a 3lb+ TC rod may be pulling the hook out.

Final point for you, I use Nailers, and in 5 years have had a total of 1 hookpull on them. The solution was to lengthen the Rig length.

The thread has been duplicated in Tackle and Equipment, that Thread is currently locked

Tbh mate, i have been loosing a few fish recently, runs / pickups and only connecting to the fish for a couple of seconds. I'm still in the development stage of my rigs, so i will change the hair length etc.

I'm still annoyed about loosing a fish on saturday tho. It was completely my faul :cry::cry::cry:

What are your opinions of the Korda Wide Gapes?

I have read many good opinions but know several anglers that have complained of hook pulls when using them and have gone back to their previous hooks (Gardner and Mugga) and have not lost a fish since.

I am currently using the Korda wide gapes and have caught several fish on them so far. However I recently lost a decent fish after playing it at 60m range for less than 30 seconds. Could it be just one of those things... :?:

I have a carping mate that works in a lab and has access to some pretty high powered microscopes and he does check out his hooks, all i will say is that i wouldnt ever use korda hooks :wink:

Posted: 31st May 2007 15:35 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried the Wide-gapes, but had a few open up on me. Sticking with the Mugga's, never had one open up and hook-pulls are incredibly rare

Posted: 31st May 2007 16:14 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you've had the Korda's open out on you? they're "meant" to be one of the strongest hooks on the market if you believe the marketing...

I have had that happen with ESP Raptors (I hated them) but never with Korda's nor Kamasans...

To be honest the reason I went over to Korda is for their Teflon matt finish as I fishing in a very clear lake and here in Spain it's generally sunny. The glint off most other hooks put me off using them.

Do the Mugga's have a matt finish? I am happy with the Kamasan's - never gave me any problems (only lost one fish at the net) but they do shine like new pennies at this venue.

Posted: 31st May 2007 16:58 Post subject:

Korda Wide Gapes are very strong good hooks IMO, very sharp with a good non reflective coating. I've no specific reason to defend them just an observation.

I dont necessarily feel that hooks straightening is anything to do with the hook itself, more where and how it has gone in and what angle the line is pulling on it from - very hard to explain I dont expect anyone to agree with that. I'd need to draw a diagram but aint got time.

These are the posts from the other Hook pulls thread.

Kev,

I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. :wink:

Silt/Helicopter rigs are possibly more responsible for Hookpulls and hook straightening than In-line/Pendant lead arrangements. The angle of pull is not direct to the hook, but at an angle across the hook.

A hookpoint that has not gone in to the depth of the bend is also more likely to pull than one that has gone all the way in.

If a hookpoint is opening up and you are getting a hookpull, it is in most cases down to the Rig Arrangement and the fact that there is something wrong with the rig or even the feeding situation. The fact that most Anglers are fishing with Short Hooklinks and PVA Bags or Sticks is a contributory factor.

Goblin,

Would like to see some of the results of your Mates Hook checks, which are the best etc. :wink:

what would you use then goblin??

i used to use korda wides but now i have changed to the fox arma points dues to cost effectiveness as they dont go as blunt as quickly - if you take them out of that stupid plastic box :evil:

fox armapoints, series5s series 1s and ashima in various patterns depending in the swim i put my house up in on our water. some of the other lads use solars and rate them highly, cant comment as i havent needed to give them a go.