Which bite alarms should I buy?

Hi.

I need a bite alarm but unsure which to buy. I only need one bite alarm (more would be better but unsure in my budget) but I need it with a bobbin. I am on a budget of £40 and want a bite alarm that wont break if it gets rained on.

I saw the Carp Kinetics Fx3 bite alarms for £15 but only heard bad things about carp kinetics equipment.

Any suggestions?

I shall politely disagree on this one cm :) I recommend having a look at the Fox Microns, either mx or mx+. I had two original Fox micron mx2's that lasted me well over ten years. They still work now but I just wanted to be a tart and upgrade to some delks. If you get a micron mx+ and a highly versatile avid carp bobbin should cost you about £41 at the moment (angling direct are doing the mx+ for 32.99). Avid bobbin 7.99. That's my two pence :)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

No nice way of putting this Ash, you get what you pay for and with that budget anything you get will be rubbish, regard them as disposable items, if you get 6 months you will be lucky.

I'm going to not so nicely disagree and say that's a Delkim users snobby answer ( not saying Delk users are tt's of course ).

The Fox ones will do you fine and if you want to go REALLY cheap have a look on the bay for a Leeda 2xl bite alarm .

I've had mine for donkeys years and it still works fine .

Thanks for the replies. Going to go ahead and get the mx+ with the avid carp bobbin for just over £40.

I've got three of them and they have NEVER let me down, rain or shine.

My daughter has just brought 3 of them herself.

The blue light is very (very) bright though. Blindingly bright at night.

You can see them from miles off!

Great alarms for the money, and I love the simple on/off toggle switch.

I'm going to not so nicely disagree and say that's a Delkim users snobby answer ( not saying Delk users are tt's of course ).

The Fox ones will do you fine and if you want to go REALLY cheap have a look on the bay for a Leeda 2xl bite alarm .

I've had mine for donkeys years and it still works fine .

Pretty sure cm was talking about the £15 alarm the op mentioned by the company with nothing but bad reviews. Pretty different to the fox mx+ alarms. A £35 fox alarm will be basic, no receiver option, but will do the job well, a £15 alarm will be cheaply made with poor components, would manage a trip or two and break.

Mate of mine had some of the proper budget alarms. Think he got 3 in a nice box for about £50 online. They were awful! To be fair, they did bleep when he got a run, but there was no volume adjustment and they were offensively loud. Also one of them worked intermittently from the start, so he couldn't trust it at night, and the first time it rained they all filled to the top with water and broke.

In contrast I've used a budget set of fox mr+ alarms for a while now. Only just upgraded them. They were solid little alarms. Waterproof, volume adjust. Couldn't adjust tone but who cares. The big kicker for the more expensive alarms is the sensitivity adjustment. Don't care who makes them, what noise they make etc, if you can adjust the sensitivity of your alarm to your fishing situation you will convert more pick ups into bent rods. Pretty much as simple as that if you ask me. :)

A £35 fox alarm will be basic, no receiver option, but will do the job well, a £15 alarm will be cheaply made with poor components, would manage a trip or two and break.

You can buy a receiver for the MX+ alarms.

You buy the plug in transmitter as an optional accessory and then the receiver.

I've thought about buying one in the past but never find myself far enough away from the rods to justify the outlay

You can buy a receiver for the MX+ alarms.

You buy the plug in transmitter as an optional accessory and then the receiver.

I've thought about buying one in the past but never find myself far enough away from the rods to justify the outlay

I stand corrected, although I wouldn't bother. A dangling plug in transmitter and receiver. If I thought I might need a receiver in future I'd buy the MXr+ which you just have to buy the receiver for and pair them up. Course if you're not doing nights or leaving your swim, or fishing in Autumn/winter when it's windy, or with a bivvy with a door then I agree, there's no need for a receiver.