Couple of main line questions.

Like you, I prefer in keeping it simple, and a running lead on the line is as simple as it gets.

I do sometimes play around with rigs, usually dependant on circumstances, but again, I try to keep it as simple as possible.

I posted this from a few years ago, it's probably as Tim will tell you on updated pictures more recently, still how I fish:

The hook has been tied on with a knotless knot, and then a piece of Shrink Tubing threaded on using a needle, coming out the front of the tubing, and then steamed to shrink it down, then I tie on the swivel. The tubing curves in slightly to extend the shank, and also holds the hair to the back of the shank.

This rig is my standard rig at the moment, and has been cut off the mainline straight after a session, so still has the beads and run ring for a bolt or running lead attached to the tag.

The hooklink is Kryston Mantis, tied to the eye of the hook (size 6 Gardner Mugga) with a braid hair also tied to the hook, and then whipped down the shank and held in place opposite the base of the barb with a small piece of tight fitting silicon tubing. The small loop at the end of the hair, is where in addition to a bottom bait, I also tie on a pop-up.

The hook has had a shrink tube line aligner added, and I can guarantee that it works:

NazeingRig_zps85bf7a7d.jpg

• 1 month later...

Going onto line, and tackle brands 'updating' a make of line, it amuses me when a manufacturer says that the newer version has 2% less stretch than last years line.

If last years version has 20% stretch (which is around what most mono's, between 15-25% do), then 2% is just 18%, and not really a significant difference.

I still say many monos are overrated, 18lb line being sold as a 15lb to make it sound better; a 15lb line should have a diameter around 0.35mm, not the 0.38-0.4mm that many brands do.

Saying that, some makes are catching on!

A larger diameter will also reduce your casting distance, so you may need to consider diameter in some cases over breaking strain.

• 2 weeks later...

Going onto line, and tackle brands 'updating' a make of line, it amuses me when a manufacturer says that the newer version has 2% less stretch than last years line.

If last years version has 20% stretch (which is around what most mono's, between 15-25% do), then 2% is just 18%, and not really a significant difference.

I still say many monos are overrated, 18lb line being sold as a 15lb to make it sound better; a 15lb line should have a diameter around 0.35mm, not the 0.38-0.4mm that many brands do.

Saying that, some makes are catching on!

A larger diameter will also reduce your casting distance, so you may need to consider diameter in some cases over breaking strain.

If they are saying 2% less stretch, to.me, I would read that as 2% of the 20%, so reduction of 0.4%. Is that really much of a difference.

It's all playing with numbers. As they say 'there's lies, damn lies and statistics', just ask any politician. It's the same with marketing.