Merrington

Off to fish Merrington for Friday and Saturday night next weekend. First time on this venue, even though it's close to me, I've never fished it before.

Anyone on here fish there regularly? Any tips/info? What's the lake bed? Is it weedy?

How about depth? Got brutalised repeatedly by swans on another lake this weekend, so I've vowed never to fish less than 4ft if there are swans on the lake!

Thanks. Adam.

Peg 4 has a bit of weed on it but nothing bad,I think ? The rest is clear bottom. Really nice place,brill cafe and we'll run. Zigs do well (ask Nige) but on the last social on there I managed 3 on chods....

I'm sure Nige will be along soon to give you real info on the place,he lives virtually next door and emptied the place last year on the social. If you do a little search I'm sure he did a good,informative write up about the session. Good luck,I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Adam, I'm sure that you'll like Merrington, hard not to.

As Stevo said, there's barely any weed and depth is fairly uniform with a flat clay bottom with very little silt.

If you're on Facebook find Luke Tomlins on there. He's the full time bailiff and knows every inch of the place. He'll be glad to answer any questions you might want to ask him. He's a helpful, smiling young man.

Oh, take lobworms with you. You'll have to trust me on this. Place 5 or 6 on a longish hair...........

Ian

Here's a little video that we made in the winter last year.

The bottom is really soft so a balanced bait and a longish rig may be a good starting point. Zigs work all year round on there. I would probably start with solid bags of boilie crumb if I were to go this weekend.

Ah thanks guys! That vid is good. Was thinking PVA and chod to start with. I'll be getting there reasonably late on Friday so I won't have time to do a lot of feature finding. Shall probably chuck a solid bag and a chod out with a few freebies for the first night and go from there. Pop ups do ok then?

Lob worms would be a new one for me! Happy to give it a bash though! :)

Ah thanks guys! That vid is good. Was thinking PVA and chod to start with. I'll be getting there reasonably late on Friday so I won't have time to do a lot of feature finding. Shall probably chuck a solid bag and a chod out with a few freebies for the first night and go from there. Pop ups do ok then?

Lob worms would be a new one for me! Happy to give it a bash though! :)

Hi Adam I hope this isn't taking the thread off course but solid Pva bag on a Choddy is a new one on me so how does that work ? How do you tie it/set it up ?

:D well I meant PVA on one rod and choddy on the other, but coming up with a way of combining them could be a goldmine! :D

Try making your PVA bag around your lead, then put your hook through the corner of the bag. As it settles and dissolves the hook will break free from the bag. The pile of bait will be disguising the lead, and the hook will be on or in the bait...

Better idea, get a inline lead, drop off style, tie choddy straight to ring swivel, put in solid Pva bag with hook poking out of bottom, fill bag with pellets,liquid,crushed hemp,krill powder, tie bag. Then tie pop up on to hook. Might use this idea next week. My thinking is choc comes directly from lead, hooking potential is increased greatly

I've used PVA mesh bags on a hinged rig easily enough before. Just thread the braided section of the rig back through the mesh bag like you would with a stick on a basic rig, take it to the end of the braid and hook the chod type bit of the rig into the mesh at the top of the bag. Pretty much the same theory. Not much difference from fishing a pop up on a supple hook link in a solid PVA bag, except that my way can be fished over soft ground on a helicopter style rig, the lead burries into the bed leaving a pop up over a pile of chops. Guarantees no tangles and good presentation pretty much as well.