2x 50lb cats come out of the aquadrome in northants in one sitting

boater

Just speculation at the moment, Pitsford fisheries has been closed, it used to belong to the catfish conservation society, it is due to be filled in and used for landfill, the fish in the lake are due to be destroyed allegedly carrying a parasite, this has not gone down well with the locals, the fish have not been dying, carp or catfish, so it appears the parasite is not that harmful, illegal stocking a strong possibility if this is true, good luck to them.

If I'm reading this right , I can't beleive you are advocating moving fish that are carying a parasite , just because certain fish are not affected does this mean other species or indeed the same species in another lake won't be ?

Totally agree carpmachine.

Now.... can confirm these reports as true, saw pics today, huge, 6 foot long. Sadly though, the new bailiff wants them culled, she says they are an invasive species and wants them out, meanwhile she has printed out "beware, mother goose nesting" posters next to a CANADIAN GOOSE nest, now I ask you. Theres a cull every year of canadian lawn mowers yet this person wants those protected but wants cats that have lived since the 60s approx destroyed?....

little hitler on a golf buggy

Im not a fan of the things tbh but if whats been said here is fact then that woman deserves a kick in the (censored) !

Cant the EA or somebody intervene ? It may only need a phone call .....

Its the EA she phoned, personally I hope they walk into the river. Theres some horrible human beings walking the streets but people chose to cull something thats not doing any harm. She must be a match angler lol.

Joking aside, this hasnt gone down too well, as for pure leisure they are doing the place up nice and these cats could pull in an extra few quid and personally I feel the cute little canada goose nest sign shows that this person hasnt got a frigging clue. The EA are pricking canada goose eggs and they will only kill cats in the river unless the fisheries request help as far as I know, I maybe wrong

you are up against Pure Leisure Group, they do what they want,any lake capable of flooding into the Nene is not allowed to contain cats or Sturgeon, this is not the first incident locally.

yeah good post, I think the river being near to and the flooding mayhave something to do with it, maybethe cat cons group could rehome them?

it wasn't the EA that reintroduced otters as far as I know, we have a few, but the Ouse Barbel stretches have been decimated up at Adams mill and Ravenstone, mad people, do gooders who haven't a clue mate.

but cats were stocked in the ouse for one example in the the 60s at huntingdon and are caught regular in the trent, supposed to be some bigguns round the upper tidal areas in lincs

Edited by boater

I don't know of any cats legally stocked in any river in the UK, Barbel were stocked in the 60s, from the Dorset Stour, and the Nene had a stocking 30 years ago, mostly disappeared from the Nene, Ringstead being the only place I know with big ones, grass carp are not allowed either.

also northampton angling club have a letter from the CaRT saying zander must be killed, we know crayfish are to be killed but no one is complaining about the monster fish in the ouse that are feeding on them, basically I think nature finds a balance, theres no need to be culling stuff

The canal basin is full of Zander, they tried to eradicate them from the fens years ago, waste of time, maybe they should set the poles on them, they eat anything that swims.

yeah I dont get that, ive had zander in germany and its really nice as fish goes but the poles dont actively fish for them, same with canada geese, they are partial to swan but not geese, going back to the fens, evidence would suggest that zander have done no harm and are now part of the eco system

yep agreed, the natural balance eventually restores itself, ironically the original Zander were imported from Poland.

tell you what though, them cats do grow big lol, not letting my dog swim in there.

ive got river monsters book and man has actually prevented 'invasive species' entering our rivers through locks and dams etc not to mention stopping eels and salmon etc from breeding, so one could argue that man is the invasive species, in some of the world bull sharks have been found 250 miles inland up rivers changing from salt to freshwater, one could argue that man is preventing these sort of acts of nature happening. Afterall I dont think carp are native to the nene or any other river but are escapees from flooding, from pits stocked by man and flooded due to building on flood plains.

can we really fight a war against our own actions or just let nature get on with it? Sorry for droning on :)

I think there have been carp in the Nene since roman times, but these were the small wildies I used to catch on cracker barrel when I was a kid, most of the big stuff has escaped through flooding, and if you think over the years how much we have polluted the river systems, its a wonder they have recovered so quickly, I wonder what they held a thousand years ago when they had been clean for eons.

basically if you throw chemicals in the river you get fined, if youre a catfish or a sturgeon you get banged on the head!

I would be cross though if the EA use my licence fee to cull these fish, the EA is underfunded (on the frontline) the fat cats cream the money and theres nothing left for where its needed, they know who is pinching fish but have no power to stop it but if you catch a cat they want to kill it.

fishing for info from someone who maybe sleeping on my carp, had quite a few visitors since then, looking at them not sure they knew what they were doing though.

I will give the marina a go in june, we are on boat at oundle, plenty places round here too.

oh crikey yeah, the Nene at that end is full of carp, drop back to Cotterstock or Ashton and you might get something very special, the specy grapevine tells me of many forties from that stretch, take it with a pinch of salt but I have seen the pictures, good hunting you lucky sod, have you ever been to the marina at blackwater lake Ringstead, it looks the business for a biggie.

was down there last week, manager said there was some lumps in therr, he reckons theres some big koi too. Marinas are where the bigguns are as you know :wink: