Abberton Reservoir

Hi all. This is a super long shot, but has anyone ever fished here? I have been on Holiday to Mersea Island lots of time and the reservoir is such a draw. Just has a great atmosphere. From what I understand there hasn't been fishing there for some time, and isn't likely to be in the near future because of a planned expansion. I can't imagine such a huge body of water doesn't have some really old big carp in it. Feel free to pm me if you don't want your old stories public. I'm fascinated.

Hi all. This is a super long shot, but has anyone ever fished here? I have been on Holiday to Mersea Island lots of time and the reservoir is such a draw. Just has a great atmosphere. From what I understand there hasn't been fishing there for some time, and isn't likely to be in the near future because of a planned expansion. I can't imagine such a huge body of water doesn't have some really old big carp in it. Feel free to pm me if you don't want your old stories public. I'm fascinated.

Know what ? I've never heard of it and there is NO reference to it in the search .

Im astounded !

Yeah I checked the search too. Nothing came up. I found 1 reference to carp on some forum, where rumour has it that the EA found a dead fish weighing 60lb. However, as another person on that page speculated dead bloated stuff can weigh more than when it's alive. Also, Chinese whispers, it was probably a fish that weighed 20lb and 10lb got added every time the story got told... But then again. Who knows, it's a big big bit of water.

Hi Ddgx

As Mufty says I remember Abberton as a Pike and Roach water .

I think I  can remember , maybe 30 + years ago Pike anglers fishing from the concrete banking off a causeway that crossed part of the reservoir .

I wonder if Nick knows anything , as I understand he has fished Ardleigh Reservoir in the past - maybe he also looked at Abberton ? . 

It's a site of Scientific Interest and a Nature reserve for large numbers of wild fowl and wetland birds, although it has recently been expanded.

The road from 5 Lakes to Colchester basically goes over a causeway splitting it into sections, and I know in a wind the road can get a big wet

Try this

https://www.eswater.co.uk/_assets/documents/1501_Abberton_Reservoir_Angling_Factsheet.pdf

Well there you go Ddgx I knew Nick would come up with something ! .

Look East has just finished on the t.v.  , and there was a feature on Abberton Reservoir .

The Reservoir has now filled to its' limit , so if I read Nicks' link correctly the resumption of angling will now be considered ? .    

Not sure how I didn't see your replies before. Wow thanks gents. Sooooo, maybe I'll get to fish it some day. I live over an hour away, and 1200 acres, chances of a catch are going to be pretty slim one would imagine, not the kind of place I can pop down to regularly for a reccy - but hey I'd like to wet a line there some day anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I fished Abberton back in the mid to late 90s for Pike, at the time i would have been in my early twenties, We would fish the road section that went over the reservoir that came down from layer. The largest fish i had was about 17lb, my mates father had one of about 24lb if i recall correctly. I did see some larger fish caught by other anglers.

I can remember seeing a chap turn up with a bucket of small jack pike. He attached one to some trebles hooks, put it on a drift type rig with a balloon for a " float " and let it drift out. After some time he had caught a large upper twenty fish!

I heard lots of stories of some large fish of all species in there, whether they were tales or not, i shall never know, but i do believe the overflow from layer pit also flows into the reservoir, so some fry from there must have escaped into the ressie.

I also know of someone who likes to do a bit of " guesting " on lakes and rivers and he took his kayak onto this reservoir recently and had a few carp out!

One last tale to tell aswell...... i saw some unlucky chap hook a cormorant while pike fishing! The bird had dived on his bait and snapped it up. The looks he got from the birdwatchers sitting in their cars as he played this bird were unforgiving! As for him unhooking it, thats another tale in itself, lol

Mike