(1950) Confessions of a Carp Fisher

salokcinnodrog

I just had to read it again.

An absolutely brilliant book even now, although obviously outdated and misguided (triangle hooks).

The life and times of an addicted carp angler.

I think many younger anglers could do with reading this, it may make them realise how lucky they are in terms of fisheries now compared to the 1950's, and to some extent may stop this obsession with size.

i would love to fish a swim that was truly haunted by some old angler that knew his trade, i would stay up all night picking his dead brains for info on what are now 'truly lost arts'.

we could all do with going back to the roots of carp angling, when a fish that covered your dinnerplate was a catch and a half :)

wonder what those old monks would make of the likes of ravioli (clarissa)... :lol:

i would love to fish a swim that was truly haunted by some old angler that knew his trade, i would stay up all night picking his dead brains for info on what are now 'truly lost arts'.

we could all do with going back to the roots of carp angling, when a fish that covered your dinnerplate was a catch and a half :)

wonder what those old monks would make of the likes of ravioli (clarissa)... :lol:

That could have been me typing. Cyborx, I agree with all you say, I'd love to be in that situation.

Part of me wants to type "I ain't afraid of no goats". But I'm not going to.

Ian

ooohh merrington, looks nice and only 40 miles away :wink:

Merrington has, in recent years, been transformed from a windswept, god forsaken place to a cracking fishery.

I must get back there to ask Luke, the bailiff/bank manager, about the strange happenings at his syndie lake.

Oh, and to get the Full English from the café there. Clare, I love you.

Ian

Merrington has, in recent years, been transformed from a windswept, god forsaken place to a cracking fishery.

I must get back there to ask Luke, the bailiff/bank manager, about the strange happenings at his syndie lake.

Oh, and to get the Full English from the café there. Clare, I love you.

Ian

let me know when you go up there, i will see if i can accompany you :wink:

oh yeh, you been messing with my wife?? hmmm??

• 2 weeks later...

I don't do messing with other people's wives, I'm happily married. For 35 years.

As I'm sure you've worked out, the café at Merrington is run be a lady called Clare. I note that you're based in Wolverhampton so Merrington is just up the road from you. Their winter syndicate will have kicked in by now (I think?) so I won't be going there again this year but intend to do a few trips there next year. I'll let you know when, mate.

Ian

Ian, next time your at merrington, ask luke to tell you about the strange goings on at one of his syndicate lakes.

I can tell you about the feeling of Redmire :wink:

I could also give you a few spooky 1st and 2nd hand tales from local lakes to me.

• 7 months later...

It was the Everning Swim that was the suposedly haunted one, I even think they had an exorcism there in the late 80's, I've fish Pitchfords and everning swims they are very close to each other and never had any otherworldly disturbances.

Confessions still holds up as a great carp book.