the mills lake in Taverham

Taverham mill is nick territory si , im guessing he'll be along at some stage ...

Aint you settled on a venue you want to concentrate on yet ? :) :) :)

Now see how i could do with sharpy's suggestion there ? :)

Edited by newmarket

Hi guys yet another venue question for you all. Has anyone fished Taverham Mill Lake or know what its like? The website makes it look a lovely place but cant find much info on it.

Thanks.

http://www.taverham-mill.com/page2.htm

Taverham Mills used to have some cracking fish in from singles up to 30lbs, although I know that at least one of the 30's got ottered  :?  :roll: :!:

Never forget your floaters in summer, in certain areas during the day or early evening they are extremely confident in taking them.

Stalking can work well in certain swims as well.

The lake has plenty of gravel bars, weed, lilies, silty patches for long and short range fishing.

DON'T ignore the margins.

Working from Peg1 round to the left.

Peg1-3 itself, in between the trees and past the small islands, not a particularly good area in summer for some reason, the fish move past it, but don't feed confidently, yet in winter is one of the best areas on the lake.

Peg 4/5 an area where the fish would cruise around the islands and in the island bay.

Road Bank, plenty of gravel in front of you, and a couple of islands. If you cast to the islands around pegs9-10 be very careful, the branches come along way away from the island underwater, fish have been tethered by idiots casting or boating baits too close.

The last swim on the road bank in the bay has a deep hole in which I'm pretty positive has a nice inlet spring in.

The Point, between the 2 islands, can produce, but is patchy.

From the next bay with the pipe connecting to Costessey, an area where the fish can hole up, but fishes best when water is beng pumped in.

All the pegs along the bank can produce down to what is number 29 or 30, the last before an area we called "The Backwaters", and all have plenty of gravel or island features in front of them as well as loads of weed.

The Backwaters themselves are good for stalking and floater fishing. By being really quiet, you can sneak up on the fish, and they do come in close, but when I say quiet, I mean silent, no vibration whatsoever :!:

Onto the Plateau Point, the swim to the right of the main Plateau swim has long produced fish from the far bank corner to the right or under the overhanging tree in front.

The Plateau swim, a BIG double swim, but although the fish do go over the plateau, it can be difficult, and if the water level is low, you will be fishing in water which may only just cover your ankles.

Carrying on round you have what are known as "The Tench Swims", the 3 or 4 swims with the last in the corner.

The 2nd and 3rd from that corner have the remains of a WW2 Bomber in, so can be a bit snaggy as well as having loads of lilies in front.

Onto the Cowtail you have the swims on the island, the fish actually are catchable between the island and the main bank, and towards the Plateau is a very big silt patch, that used to hold LARGE bream to over Double figures.

Round the Cowtail you have the same water as the Back Bank, and is a shorter walk  :P is worthwhile if no-one is fishing the back bank.

Cowtail corner, to the tree in the water along the island to the left. To the right you have a large gravel bank along the island, but it doesn't produce much. The left side of the swim is the better option.

To the left the next 3 swims all face to the island, as does CowTail point down the slope, but the point also has water to the left. All will produce at times.

The other swim down the slope to the left of the point has a number of nice features.

Round into the bay, a couple of swims on the high bank, don't ignore them and fish the margins. Hidden in that bay is a large rock standing proud of the lakebed, it will take a lot of finding (unless you can get a rowing boat out and actually see it).

The swim at the back of the bay, margins and fallen tree to the right, lily pad in front.

Swim in the corner is pretty much a cut-off.

Round onto the meadow swims, all produce fish, and there is plenty of weed.

I don't know the lake at all, not much anyway  :lol:  :roll:

I used to fish (live on) there, but I haven't been back for 8years as I feel it couldn't live up to how I learnt to fish it

I wrote the above post about 4 years ago

The fish can really get onto a good bait, so prebaiting with a food source boilie can work very well for you. I used to absolutely load up with fishmeals, knowing that the carp were eating almost all of them (the tench and bream got a few), and since almost everyone at one time used the same baits who were fishing it, the fish loved them. When I moved back to Ipswich, I carried on feeding The Biollix for a number of years on my monthly trips and still caught, but my mate was fishing and feeding a Pellet based base mix bait, and was also catching as many fish

Well I had decided on spring lake at tasswood lakes or adams at cobbleacre but one of my mates keeps sending me links to lovely looking lakes nearby and my head starts spinning again :P :razz: :P

Did go on a 24hr works jolly to spring lake at tass last weekend and had a great time, 7 of us fished and I caught 8 or 9, only small but I was happy. Only problem was it was a very cold frosty night and I was freezing!!!!!! in the middle of the night I did consider giving up carping and taking up something like stamp collecting which I could do in the warm haha :P :razz:

Taverham Mills used to have some cracking fish in from singles up to 30lbs, although I know that at least one of the 30's got ottered  :?  :roll: :!:

Never forget your floaters in summer, in certain areas during the day or early evening they are extremely confident in taking them.

Stalking can work well in certain swims as well.

The lake has plenty of gravel bars, weed, lilies, silty patches for long and short range fishing.

DON'T ignore the margins.

Working from Peg1 round to the left.

Peg1-3 itself, in between the trees and past the small islands, not a particularly good area in summer for some reason, the fish move past it, but don't feed confidently, yet in winter is one of the best areas on the lake.

Peg 4/5 an area where the fish would cruise around the islands and in the island bay.

Road Bank, plenty of gravel in front of you, and a couple of islands. If you cast to the islands around pegs9-10 be very careful, the branches come along way away from the island underwater, fish have been tethered by idiots casting or boating baits too close.

The last swim on the road bank in the bay has a deep hole in which I'm pretty positive has a nice inlet spring in.

The Point, between the 2 islands, can produce, but is patchy.

From the next bay with the pipe connecting to Costessey, an area where the fish can hole up, but fishes best when water is beng pumped in.

All the pegs along the bank can produce down to what is number 29 or 30, the last before an area we called "The Backwaters", and all have plenty of gravel or island features in front of them as well as loads of weed.

The Backwaters themselves are good for stalking and floater fishing. By being really quiet, you can sneak up on the fish, and they do come in close, but when I say quiet, I mean silent, no vibration whatsoever :!:

Onto the Plateau Point, the swim to the right of the main Plateau swim has long produced fish from the far bank corner to the right or under the overhanging tree in front.

The Plateau swim, a BIG double swim, but although the fish do go over the plateau, it can be difficult, and if the water level is low, you will be fishing in water which may only just cover your ankles.

Carrying on round you have what are known as "The Tench Swims", the 3 or 4 swims with the last in the corner.

The 2nd and 3rd from that corner have the remains of a WW2 Bomber in, so can be a bit snaggy as well as having loads of lilies in front.

Onto the Cowtail you have the swims on the island, the fish actually are catchable between the island and the main bank, and towards the Plateau is a very big silt patch, that used to hold LARGE bream to over Double figures.

Round the Cowtail you have the same water as the Back Bank, and is a shorter walk  :P is worthwhile if no-one is fishing the back bank.

Cowtail corner, to the tree in the water along the island to the left. To the right you have a large gravel bank along the island, but it doesn't produce much. The left side of the swim is the better option.

To the left the next 3 swims all face to the island, as does CowTail point down the slope, but the point also has water to the left. All will produce at times.

The other swim down the slope to the left of the point has a number of nice features.

Round into the bay, a couple of swims on the high bank, don't ignore them and fish the margins. Hidden in that bay is a large rock standing proud of the lakebed, it will take a lot of finding (unless you can get a rowing boat out and actually see it).

The swim at the back of the bay, margins and fallen tree to the right, lily pad in front.

Swim in the corner is pretty much a cut-off.

Round onto the meadow swims, all produce fish, and there is plenty of weed.

I don't know the lake at all, not much anyway  :lol:  :roll:

I used to fish (live on) there, but I haven't been back for 8years as I feel it couldn't live up to how I learnt to fish it

I wrote the above post about 4 years ago

The fish can really get onto a good bait, so prebaiting with a food source boilie can work very well for you. I used to absolutely load up with fishmeals, knowing that the carp were eating almost all of them (the tench and bream got a few), and since almost everyone at one time used the same baits who were fishing it, the fish loved them. When I moved back to Ipswich, I carried on feeding The Biollix for a number of years on my monthly trips and still caught, but my mate was fishing and feeding a Pellet based base mix bait, and was also catching as many fish

Wow, what a reply, I wish I could get info like that on my local waters, you are doing well just to get the average depth off the anglers in the Coventry area.

• 3 weeks later...