Etang de Cosse

G&K 2014

Hi All,

This is my first post on this site therefore any help would be appreciated.

I have booked Etang de Cosse near Limoges for a week on Sept and wondered if any members have stayed there recently and could give me some idea on catches and any tips on the fishing and also non carping related tips for the area.

Also is there a decent tackle / bait shop nearby?

The website and gallery for the place look the business but most of the reports are quite old now and a I cant find any recent reports. So help please.

Many thanks

:confused:

Im sorry Guy but if you think you can get decent bait from a tackle shop in France then you are wrong!   All tackle is more expensive so I suggest you bring adequate supplies from the UK. You are right G&K the information on the website is old and there is no signs of a Siret or Siren Number either... please check they have one as without one then the fishery is illegal, and that can have huge consequences for anyone caught fishing.

I didn't say you could necessarily get decent bait there Mrs R, the OP asked for a decent tackle and bait shop in the area... the Pacific Peche in Limoges is one of the largest and best stocked tackle shops in the country and it has a fair range of bait. Personally I don't buy branded baits in any case, apart from the odd pack of pop ups, so am inclined to agree with you on the decent bait in a French tackle shop front.

You are also right about Etang de Cosse, the UNCL have not been able to find a siret number for the owner or the lake either. I would advise the OP to contact the owner and ask about this, as although many owners now do use their siret numbers, a lot still don't even realise they need to put one on their business documents (including websites), so the owners may well be registered in reality. I have found this to be the case on a number of occasions.

It's really good to see that more and more owners are registering and talking publicly about the many waters that still remain unregistered and the the potential pitfalls for visiting anglers. I hope that anglers take note and can make informed choices about their holiday destinations in France.

Hi Thanks for getting back to me, this is our first visit to France and we chose this place as it also looks the business for my partner.

I have contacted the owner and hope he can shed some light on it, and that all is well, as I have paid the deposit to them.

Please keep the info coming  it is well received.

Pacific Peche is an OK tackle shop, still more expensive than the UK,  but I would still advise you bringing everything you need as you dont want to spend valuable holiday time trying to buy stuff.

I do trust that every angler coming to France knows the dire consequences of fishing illegal fisheries if caught during a raid by the Gendarmes.

Guy... we have been strong advocates of fishery legality since we started Rushes as a legally registered SARL  in 2003, I have been known to 'bang' on about it from time to time!!

Hope you get the right answers G&K and I hope more anglers reading this will ask the right questions before booking.

Yes, as it was our first time fishing to France I wanted somewhere that accommodated my partners wishes and I had sole use of the fishing for the week. after spending ages on the net we chose this place.

I have mailed the owner asking for the siret no and to be honest this is the first I had heard of it so probably I should have done a bit more digging before paying the deposit.

Hopefully it will get sorted.

Thank you for the information that you provided, I saved me from what could have been a difficult situation that I could have well done without.

The owners were very good and are refunding my deposit.

So, I am back looking, any ideas anyone, looking for 6th Sept for a week just me fishing and need a nice quite venue with good accommodation  at the side of the lake so my dear partner will be kept happy. Of course without saying good fishing and  around Dordogne area.

Been looking at Mas Bas Lotus Lake with Angling Lines , No siret no on website but will phone them and will only consider if they can provide one.

Any thoughts anyone ??

It was by pure chance that I came across the problem of Siret  and I was fortunate that I was dealing with genuine people and have not lost out.

The word needs to be got out there to everyone like me, first time to France and knew nothing of the pitfalls.

And thanks to all that respond for their input.

• 10 months later...

hi/ g@k/

i know this is a year old post, but i have only just seen it as i am a new member. as reg etang de cosse, i have fished it for a week, not sure what year it was, but it was the year when hull got flooded if thats any help. myself and my wife booked etang de cosse and to be honest it was the best holiday we have had in france, and weve had many. the fishing was unbelieveable. but we let lucky with the weather, the storm i mentioned earlier that flooded hull,  the weather system was in a giant circle that stretched from hull in the north ,to limoges in the south which is close to st junien, were etang de cosse is located.this meant the weather was sunny/hot for an hour-then overcast and showers for an hour, perfect for getting oxygen in the water, and hence fish on the feed.it took me a day to locate the fish, and once i did it was hectic to say the least. on this fishery there arnt many pegs, and casting a line is tricky,because its perimeter has connifer trees around it.a boat is supplied and that is what i used. i would hop in the boat , with the bait and my rig in a bucket. the wife stays on the bank rod in hand. i would row to my spots maybe 40 yards, drop the lot over the side, row back and before i was at the bank the wife would be away.it was that quick.we were averaging around 25-30 carp per day, biggest low 30s with an average of mid 20s. all this in the most beatifull surroundings. the house was stunning, as was the lake.all in all the best weeks fishing we ever had.and no problems with siret (whatever that is) now im sure the weather helped with the catch rate, but i would stay there and if i blanked i wouldnt be too much bothered. it is a bit pricey tho.    thx 4 reading, and sorry for my spelling, its shocing (lol)

hi/ g@k/

i know this is a year old post, but i have only just seen it as i am a new member. as reg etang de cosse, i have fished it for a week, not sure what year it was, but it was the year when hull got flooded if thats any help. myself and my wife booked etang de cosse and to be honest it was the best holiday we have had in france, and weve had many. the fishing was unbelieveable. but we let lucky with the weather, the storm i mentioned earlier that flooded hull,  the weather system was in a giant circle that stretched from hull in the north ,to limoges in the south which is close to st junien, were etang de cosse is located.this meant the weather was sunny/hot for an hour-then overcast and showers for an hour, perfect for getting oxygen in the water, and hence fish on the feed.it took me a day to locate the fish, and once i did it was hectic to say the least. on this fishery there arnt many pegs, and casting a line is tricky,because its perimeter has connifer trees around it.a boat is supplied and that is what i used. i would hop in the boat , with the bait and my rig in a bucket. the wife stays on the bank rod in hand. i would row to my spots maybe 40 yards, drop the lot over the side, row back and before i was at the bank the wife would be away.it was that quick.we were averaging around 25-30 carp per day, biggest low 30s with an average of mid 20s. all this in the most beatifull surroundings. the house was stunning, as was the lake.all in all the best weeks fishing we ever had.and no problems with siret (whatever that is) now im sure the weather helped with the catch rate, but i would stay there and if i blanked i wouldnt be too much bothered. it is a bit pricey tho.    thx 4 reading, and sorry for my spelling, its shocing (lol)

A siret is a number that must be displayed on the fishery owners website,if they have no siret number displayed then you must always make sure they have one otherwise they are an illegal fishery and if raided you will lose your holiday and all your tackle :(

Hi, thanks for your reply, I actually cancelled the booking I had here because when I contacted him he admitted he didn't have a siret no.

If you book a fishing holiday to France to a fishery without a siret you are putting your holiday in serious jeopardy. You are risking being taken to the local Gendarme, having your vehicle and your tackle confiscated. Is it worth it?  And the French authorities are really clamping down on illegal fisheries.

I only book my fishing holidays now through Angling Lines   they are an excellent company and when you book through them you can be 100% sure your booking is safe and secure. Their knowledge of all their venues is first class and their prices include ferry.

This Year I am at Jonchery, Mas Bas Lotus Lake and Golden Oak with them and I am 100% confident in the venues and the bookings, take a look at their site, loads of great information, and if you phone them they will personally talk you through their venues.

Edited by mrs_rusheslake
no links allowed