I want the chance of a 30+ this year, where to go?

Hi, just getting back into carp fishing after a few years break and I'm looking for a water/waters to fish.

I live in Thaxted, which is North West Essex not too far away from Great Dunmow & Stansted Airport. I'd really like to find a good lake to fish with a reasonable chance of landing a 30, or at least a lake that definitely has fish 30 and above.

I've looked at local clubs and these seem to frown upon carp anglers, limiting you to max two rods, no night fishing etc and whilst I don't mind day ticket waters I think I might like a little more exclusivity. Altough I'm not ruling out any of the former, I think a syndicate is going to be the best bet, but where?

In an ideal world I'd like to be able to go at the drop off a hat, so somewhere not too far would be great. I'm thinking 30 - 45 mins travelling max, which puts possibilities within an area up to Cambridge, Harlow, Chelmsford and Bury St Edmunds (though Bury is maybe a little on the outer limit).

Can anyone recommend anywhere good in this area, which might have space available?

Cheers,

Simon.

PS. I am using the search option as well :wink:

Hi, just getting back into carp fishing after a few years break and I'm looking for a water/waters to fish.

I live in Thaxted, which is North West Essex not too far away from Great Dunmow & Stansted Airport. I'd really like to find a good lake to fish with a reasonable chance of landing a 30, or at least a lake that definitely has fish 30 and above.

I've looked at local clubs and these seem to frown upon carp anglers, limiting you to max two rods, no night fishing etc and whilst I don't mind day ticket waters I think I might like a little more exclusivity. Altough I'm not ruling out any of the former, I think a syndicate is going to be the best bet, but where?

In an ideal world I'd like to be able to go at the drop off a hat, so somewhere not too far would be great. I'm thinking 30 - 45 mins travelling max, which puts possibilities within an area up to Cambridge, Harlow, Chelmsford and Bury St Edmunds (though Bury is maybe a little on the outer limit).

Can anyone recommend anywhere good in this area, which might have space available?

Cheers,

Simon.

I'm a little bit iffy in worrying about 'having to catch a 30', but that is just me, possibly because I don't know your ability level, and knowing how few and far between 30+ fish it has taken me with over 30years fishing experience, only ever catching 3 30's.

Suffolk is pretty much a no, although NS fisheries, West Stow and Nunnery may have space, although very much a case of what you know (have a look at Suffolk Venues)

I can point you directly to Lee Valley fisheries, and they are not syndicate. They have venues from the edge of London to Harlow, Broxbourne and Hoddesdon.

Nazeing Meads has 3 lakes, Brackens, which has a few 30's, 2 acres, but quite a hard 'riggy' water, where the fish can shy away from pressure, or the Lagoons, which I know hold 30+ fish, although I have only managed to get to 27 so far from there.

http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/go/fisheries/

There is a gallery on each fishery as far as I can remember, and a few of the fish may look familiar :wink:

Cheers,

Simon.

Hello matey , you have more chance of being struck by lightening than getting a syndi ticket in essex .

Where you are situated i'd be looking at the lea valley/ herts day tickets ie carthagena or holyfield , amwell lakes etc .

Or billericay angling club has loadsa waters with largish carp but not sure if you can night fish em . I think some you can .

Theres also cuton lakes pn the a12 at chelmsford .

For somewhere more quiet & unknown to many there is Dawnsvale nr braintree . Its mostly a runs water with lotsa doubles but there IS a 30+ ghostie lurking in there somewhere .

She did have a bounty on it . Free fishing for a year to the captor .

Good luck matey.

Thanks Nick,

I hear what you are saying and I'm not at all trying to come across as 'I only fish for specimen...... bal blah', but by the same token I'm not going to be catching a 30+ if there aint at least one there. As for experience, if I'm lucky enough for a 30 to pick up my bait then I'm confident of landing it.

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'd seen and considered Lee Valley, but not aware of the others & Braintree sounds very convenient!

Cheers

Simon.

Hi Newmarket,

lol, yeah I've never considered or even looked into syndicates in the past (though often thought about joining one). So literally I have no idea about how hard/easy it is. Got to start somewhere though and you never know (says the eternal optimist).

Thank you for the suggestions, this is great stuff, keep it coming!!!!!!!

I'd looked at Billericay AC, as Armigers is on my doorstep, but members real life catches don't quite meet the claims of the club website and the rules seem skewed against carp anglers. Though might just have to join it for the convenience anyway!

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited by We5ty

I've recently posted on another thread about club waters si , and yes they dont like carpers .

There is a lake nr me that is steeped in history .

Dick walker & his mates used to fish there in the late 40's & 50's .

In fact walker caught a 38lber there the week before he got the 44lber from redmire .

Its said that the carp there today are direct descendants of those old warriors .

Its supposedly little known but it would explain why you can join the club on a general coarse ticket but have to be a member for 2 years before you can even get on the waiting list for a carp ticket.

Theres a day ticket complex 5 mins drive away that has lotsa bigguns and will do a 40 this year i expect ...

Just an example of essex clubs ...

Hello matey , you have more chance of being struck by lightening than getting a syndi ticket in essex .

Where you are situated i'd be looking at the lea valley/ herts day tickets ie carthagena or holyfield , amwell lakes etc .

Or billericay angling club has loadsa waters with largish carp but not sure if you can night fish em . I think some you can .

For somewhere more quiet & unknown to many there is Dawnsvale nr braintree . Its mostly a runs water with lotsa doubles but there IS a 30+ ghostie lurking in there somewhere .

Good luck matey.

Good luck matey.

Thanks Nick,

I hear what you are saying and I'm not at all trying to come across as 'I only fish for specimen...... bal blah', but by the same token I'm not going to be catching a 30+ if there aint at least one there. As for experience, if I'm lucky enough for a 30 to pick up my bait then I'm confident of landing it.

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'd seen and considered Lee Valley, but not aware of the others & Braintree sounds very convenient!

Cheers

Simon.

No worries, I didn't want you jumping in at the deep end, fishing for fish you weren't ready for, either not knowing the effort required or the skill ability. A bit of a difference between an overstocked day ticket water with a couple of easy 30's or the more natural balanced fishery.

I believe that Carthagena has taken this years membership on, but you'd be looking at around £400 if you went for that lake syndicate, although one of the 2 has 40's as well. It is actually not that far from Nazeing Meads, on the road from Broxbourne station towards Nazeing.

Also come to mind is Kelvedon and District, Silver End, some old fish, very weedy, but I know quite difficult.

Anyway if you follow the previous link I gave to Lee Valley there are a few in there, although North Met and Bowyers I think have a waiting list

Great info, thanks again Nick.

I might have to knock a few rust spots off here and there but I've done my apprenticeship many moons ago and I know the score :wink:

Thanks again,

Simon.

If you do decide on Lee valley, it's likely I'll be back on Nazeing. I've got withdrawal symptoms for the lagoons, and I'll happily put kettle on for you, if you can handle black coffee, and chat if you ever wander round when I'm there