Coated braid?

dunkel

I have been using Spiderwire Stealth for my hook length material for awhile now. It is coated with Teflon to make it go through the eyes of the rod without much drag. I have noticed that it is very supple and it does tangle once in awhile. I was thinking of trying a coated braid hook length like Jackal or maybe Sufix. Is the only advantage of the coated lengths that they are stiffer, therefore less prone to tangle? Do I need to strip the coating away from the area I'll be tying my knotless knot, or will the knotless knot work with the coating left one. Sorry for such a newb question, but I have never even seen coated braid before.

There are a couple of advantages... One as you state doesn't tangle on the cast also gives you good presentation on the bottom as your hook length will stay straighter on landing...also very good abrasion properties compared to just braid which is the reason I use it on the river I fish over here mate... A normal uncoated braid frays quite quickly where I fish on rocks etc but A coated one will easily last me a session... like you say strip the coating back to tie your hook on and leave at least an inch or 2 striped above the hook for more natural movement.

hope this helps a little mate

Phil

Few advantages- firstly is the non-tangle aspect, secondly is the ability for fish to deal with it- ie if they have been used to dealing with Braid, it can present them with a different presentation to deal with. third- its a material that re-sets itself when coupled with a more buoyant hook-bait.

Why is your hook length going through the rod eyes?

It doesn't! :lol: The braid I use for my hook length is normally used for mainline.

Now it makes sense :lol: Though I wouldn't use a mainlind braid for hook lengths. It's usually much a thinner diameter, which can cut into the carp's mouth.

I love coated braids... I use them for 80% of my fishing situations. As already stated, they are tangle proof (if used correctly), abrasion resistant, have a certain anti-eject capability (if tied that way) and are probably among the most versatile hooklink materials you could use.

They allow: stiff-supple combi rigs, stiff rigs, hinged rigs, supple rigs, supple hairs, stiff hairs, etc, etc.

My favourites are: Kryston snake bite, Kryston mantis and suffix stealth skin although others are available. They all come with instructions...

Thanks for the help. How do you strip the coating off? Please tell me I don't have to buy a Korda Strippa. I haven't put a dollar in Danny's pocket yet. LOL

You can buy stripping tools but I do not own one. It depends on the braid as some are harder to strip than others. I use my teeth or finger nails, if you are struggling then warm it up over some steam to soften.

You may also find mainline braids are abrasive and can cut as the weave is often made up including Kevlar fibres.

I've used Kryston coated braids myself for a long time, what is available in USA?

Some Kryston like Jackal, Super Mantis, Snake Bite and Snake Skin.

Sufix Kameleon and Sheath Skin. Nash The Missing Link, and PB Products Jelly Wire are the types we have available here.