Linear Fisheries, Oxlease.

Alright lads.

I'm intending on fishing Oxlease lake at linear fisheries with a couple of mates in the near future for 24-48 hours.

I have never being to linear, let alone fished Oxlease.

So if anybody has any useful tips or information they wouldnt mind sharing it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Ross :)

Guest Anonymous

Linear in general mate, so highly pressured its nuts, espicially now kids are off and the weathers good. Stunning scenary but can be hard/easy fishing when your on the carp and when there feeding but it dont come around often.

Can see where your coming from the social point of view

Guest keenook
Alright lads.

I'm intending on fishing Oxlease lake at linear fisheries with a couple of mates in the near future for 24-48 hours.

I have never being to linear, let alone fished Oxlease.

So if anybody has any useful tips or information they wouldnt mind sharing it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Ross :)

Ross, sorry, but that is a question I would never ask! Go there, look and smell........the rest is down to the Carp...................!

I think it's harder than most people think it is due to the fact that there's probably 60 odd lines in the water 24/7. The fish can be pretty cute, but they can definitely be caught.

The problems are mostly just down to how busy it gets over there. If you're not on the fish and decide you need to move, you probably won't be able to as most of the swims will be taken....Have you considered fishing Hardwick/Smiths as it tends to be the least busy lake on the complex...The fish are smaller, but you'll have more opportunity to have a look around / move if you're not on 'em.

I think it's harder than most people think it is due to the fact that there's probably 60 odd lines in the water 24/7. The fish can be pretty cute, but they can definitely be caught.

The problems are mostly just down to how busy it gets over there. If you're not on the fish and decide you need to move, you probably won't be able to as most of the swims will be taken....Have you considered fishing Hardwick/Smiths as it tends to be the least busy lake on the complex...The fish are smaller, but you'll have more opportunity to have a look around / move if you're not on 'em.

Thats a reason we chose oxlease as it offers abit of a challenge and not a runs water like b1 and b2.

One of the lads we are going with has already fished hardwick/smiths, so as thought we would go on a water that none of us have fished before.

Cheers.

The way id approach linear is to think which lake i most want to fish which is for me St Johns or Manor, have walk around them first if i find fish and can get on em great if not then my next choice be Hardwick same again if not Oxlease and so on.

If your going for social proberly wouldnt go to Linear though because the chances of been able to fish near each other are slim most times you be lucky to get on the same lake if theres more than two of you!

Check Ochids out far quieter nice lake nice fish not as many bigguns but still plenty of decent fish id say its far better if a few of you are going.

The way id approach linear is to think which lake i most want to fish which is for me St Johns or Manor, have walk around them first if i find fish and can get on em great if not then my next choice be Hardwick same again if not Oxlease and so on.

If your going for social proberly wouldnt go to Linear though because the chances of been able to fish near each other are slim most times you be lucky to get on the same lake if theres more than two of you!

Check Ochids out far quieter nice lake nice fish not as many bigguns but still plenty of decent fish id say its far better if a few of you are going.

Cheers Liam, I think Manor and St Johns is above our skill level at the moment.

Il bear Ochids in mind, thanks.

Guest Anonymous

depends on what you mean by skill level mate, on a water like this you just need to keep things simple, proven tactics and bait that you use on other waters will work at linear if the fish are playing ball.

I would not class b1/b2 as runs water's im sorry, i no mates and guys who have spent a week's time on there to blank, if the fish are not on it you wont catch simple as, but when they are and your fishing effectively they can be caught.

cc have you had any experience on big open water gravel pits mate?

Just if you havent they can be an intimidating place to fish.

depends on what you mean by skill level mate, on a water like this you just need to keep things simple, proven tactics and bait that you use on other waters will work at linear if the fish are playing ball.

I would not class b1/b2 as runs water's im sorry, i no mates and guys who have spent a week's time on there to blank, if the fish are not on it you wont catch simple as, but when they are and your fishing effectively they can be caught.

cc have you had any experience on big open water gravel pits mate?

Just if you havent they can be an intimidating place to fish.

Our chances of catching on manor or st johns will be pretty slim, that's what I think of the difficulty level

In only going off what people tell me about B1 and B2, but looking at the bycac result, you get it right, you'll bag up.

And no, I don't have experience on them waters

Guest Anonymous

depends mate, on my time at linear i had more succes on hardwick/smiths as it suited my prefered style of fishing and i got to no the place very well, i myself found it hard at first to combat the big open water gravel pits but when you learn how to fish them and where to locate yourself it can be a peice of :wink:

to 'bag up' on b1 or b2 isnt as easy as the public lay on mate, if the fish arent on it your wasting your coin, you've got to remember on lakes like theese there is alway's somebody fishing and come the weekend there's alot of lines/bait in the lake, the fish see this day in and day out making it tough sometimes.

as somebody said earlier somewhere like orchid is more suited to a good social as there's more chance of setting up with ya mates, not putting you off the place bud as its a stunning venue but i there are better places out there. Its's just not a garunteed bag up if you havent done this type of carp fishing before.

Guest Anonymous

not saying its bad, just saying its not as easy as people make out, if cc goes down and has a blinder of a sesh 'bagging up' then i will genuinly be pleased for him, and i wanna see a blog put up for that sesh mate :wink:8)

not saying its bad, just saying its not as easy as people make out, if cc goes down and has a blinder of a sesh 'bagging up' then i will genuinly be pleased for him, and i wanna see a blog put up for that sesh mate :wink:8)

There will be a blog :wink:

I don't expect to go and bag up, just a couple will be nice, i would settle for 1 though :wink:

Cheers aaron

Thats the attitude to have down there just fish for 1 fish at a time. To many people go down fishing for the big hit.

Best advice i can give you is DONT get the spod and marker out keep the disturbance and bait to a minimum.

The way i see it most pegs been prebaited by the person that was on the peg before you! Dont ignore the margins especially the margin straight in front of the pegs these areas are ignored by most!

Thats the attitude to have down there just fish for 1 fish at a time. To many people go down fishing for the big hit.

Best advice i can give you is DONT get the spod and marker out keep the disturbance and bait to a minimum.

The way i see it most pegs been prebaited by the person that was on the peg before you! Dont ignore the margins especially the margin straight in front of the pegs these areas are ignored by most!

Heed this mans advice...Very true :)

I don't actually own a spod rod, purely because I don't like spodding at all and think I can approach a water better without spodding.

The rest of your advice has being taken on board and is similar to the approach I was going to take, Thankyou.

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, i have being to do my session on oxlease and i must say i was very impressed with the place.

Was meant to be me and two mates, but one pulled out last minute, so me and my mate trundled on down on friday evening and got there around 5pm. Done a few laps of the place to find that half of swims where empty, and the carp kept topping infront of the island on the one side, where the island is a longer chuck than the other side (pegs 15 and 16) so me and my mate set up in that swim since thats where the carp where and the swims where free.

Unfortunately 48 hours later we had to pack up both of us blanked, but my mate had one run on the first night around midnight, but his zip got caught on his sleeping bag and he was unable to get to the run in time :(

Not many carp came out over the weekend we where there, probably between 6-10 across the whole lake.

The lake never got stuffed with people like we expected, untill about sunday afternoon, a flood of cars turned up and everyone wnated to fish oxlease for some reason, i guess they all thought they would get a weekday session in and it will be quiet, but looks like everyone had the same idea.

We thought the lake was well maintained and very well looked after, we felt 100% safe and did not fear any trouble or theft.

We seen plenty of carp topping and there looked to be some big girls in there and we will definately be heading back when we can as we feel we have un finished buisness.

We tried EVERYTHING we could possibly do and i felt that was the hardest i had ever worked over a 48 hour period to catch a carp, but unfortunately come to no avail.

Everyone we met on the lakes where top blokes, all helpful, friendly, and also considerate with no one casting over lines etc etc, again, i felt very safe there.

Cant wait to get back.

Ross.

• 10 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Boing

Whadatha Chances of getting on Hunts in mid week September? I might save my pennies till September and have a 5 day blow out at Linears.

I don't really mind which pool I go on at a fishery like Linears, every one of them holds nice fish by the looks of the web site.

I like the pools that I fish to have plenty of trees and and under growth around it, the Brasenose pools look a little open for me.

And they let Dogs in, so they get my money. :)