PVA Mesh!!

hagan10

Hi there

I have recently moved onto pva mesh, I am filling them with small pellets, halibut pellets and crushed boilies.

I am quite new to carp fishing so i have a few questions reference these and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

1. What else can you fill your pva mesh with?

2. How do you attach the pva mesh bags to your rig? I have hooked the pva mesh on but keeps flying off when casting.

Again

Thanks

You can put in a lot,

When using the hook, push through once then twist the hook and push through again, make sure the hook is dry.

Or you could get a long baiting needle and thread the stick down the hooklink.

Any wet particles like, corn, hempseed etc.... will need to be dried out, but they can be added to grounbait or crumbed boilies as this will soak up any juices, make sure you mix it well. Adding oil helps with wet particles as well but you'll still need to dry them a little.

I make my mix up the night before, small 6mm pellets, corn, hempseed, a little groundbait and boilie crumb, just to allow the juices to soak in to the dry components. By the morning i tie about 20 sticks ready for fishing.

That is great, thanks for the advice

Garysj01 - thanks for that, I had that trouble with putting the hemp and particle mix in the pva mesh melting the pva, even though it stated on the packet it was pva friendly.

One of the men on the bank said to me mix in icing sugar or salt and that will stop them melting the pva bag, is that true?

Also Once you have made your mix up, how long would it keep for in a resealable container?

Thanks

Hi there

I have recently moved onto pva mesh, I am filling them with small pellets, halibut pellets and crushed boilies.

I am quite new to carp fishing so i have a few questions reference these and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

1. What else can you fill your pva mesh with?

2. How do you attach the pva mesh bags to your rig? I have hooked the pva mesh on but keeps flying off when casting.

Again

Thanks

'

Are thse any use?

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=27183https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32920&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I sometimes use whole boilies in boilie sized mesh, and attach one to the hair after making the "bag" up. The other end is overhand knotted to the mainline near the lead.

You can make up a groundbait stick, and I think that the groundbait stick will cover the hooklink even if you tie the mesh onto the lead/mainline swivel and the hook.

Just push the hook through the end of the mesh next to the knot (avoiding going through the knot as it takes longer to dissolve).

Be aware though a big PVA bag or mesh can weigh a fair bit, so you could be overloading your rods :wink:

That is great, thanks for the advice

Garysj01 - thanks for that, I had that trouble with putting the hemp and particle mix in the pva mesh melting the pva, even though it stated on the packet it was pva friendly.

One of the men on the bank said to me mix in icing sugar or salt and that will stop them melting the pva bag, is that true?

Also Once you have made your mix up, how long would it keep for in a resealable container?

Thanks

You'd be better keeping away from salt theres enough in baits as it is, icing sugar i have never used so i cant comment on that, all i do is have a towel handy pour the juices out of your particles into a little tub (these juices are full of attractors so they are very good for stick mixes) put the particles onto a towel and dry them out slightly, then either add them to a dry ingredient like groundbait or boilie crumb, or add oil to them, the oil will effect the melt down rate of the pva bag slightly. You can basically make any mix you want with any particle, just treat it like a groundbait mix that is slightly dryer than normal, if it is a bit wetter than you like you can leave it for a while to dry out or again add a little oil.

You would be very surprised at how much water/particle juice groundbait will absorb before it starts to melt PVA. :wink:

Salt, NOT needed in baits :wink:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53682&highlight=salt

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48683&highlight=salt

Those should cover the Salt question as well as groundbait and putting wet particles in bags :wink:

Go on nick im interested what have you used in a pva bag, i just want to show how much can be used, :)

Well you can get at least 2 tins of sweetcorn into a kilo of Vitalin :wink:

Also many mixed particles, pigeon conditioner, Red Band, Hemp.

Half fill a 10kilo base mix bucket with Vitalin, a few pellets and then add a couple of kilos of prepped particles complete with juice, maybe even some CSL liquid or Molasses.

As you say, a little spare groundbait in case you do over do it, but I do have a tendency to check it as I mix the whole lot in, and usually still end up with a "dry patch" of groundbait in the base/side wall join :oops:

Go on nick im interested what have you used in a pva bag, i just want to show how much can be used, :)

Half fill a 10kilo base mix bucket with Vitalin, a few pellets and then add a couple of kilos of prepped particles complete with juice, maybe even some CSL liquid or Molasses.

As you say, a little spare groundbait in case you do over do it, but I do have a tendency to check it as I mix the whole lot in, and usually still end up with a "dry patch" of groundbait in the base/side wall join :oops:

would you recommend groundbait used with vitalin as i tend to stay away from groundbait as it attracts the andys like locusts ? would the liquid leake out of the mesh during the cast unlike the bag sorry for any typos ive been in the pub for the last 5 hours lol

The mesh style bags soak the juices, not all of it obviously, but you can see this as the mesh changes colour, i wouldnt worry about the juices leaking out during the cast.

Groundbait is really a bulker for me, but it is the same flavour as my boilies so just an extra attractor,

would you recommend groundbait used with vitalin as i tend to stay away from groundbait as it attracts the andys like locusts ? would the liquid leake out of the mesh during the cast unlike the bag sorry for any typos ive been in the pub for the last 5 hours lol

I used to use loads of Vitalin with particles and pellets on the reservoir. I knew that bream were going to be attracted to it, but sometimes I piled it in and caught carp over the top instantly, and sometimes it was bream. You could also be catching slab after slab, and then get a pick up exactly the same to find a carp on the end. You could also have the occasional blank, but the attraction remained for a while as it almost "flavoured" the lakebed.

Come to that, mix it stiff enough and you can even fish it "method style". Groundbait moulded around the lead, and no need for PVA :wink:

• 1 month later...