Running Lead Set Up

garysj01

Hi all

I have been doing a lot of test's with running lead set ups for a while now to try and find the least resistant set up i can.

I like to try and keep things as simple as i can, keeping all components to a bare minimum.

I think running set ups give you the best and quickest indication possible, the only problem is, is they generally do not set the hook for you, which is fine as i am usually on the rods with in a split second anyway.

I tested using tubing, but because the tubing is stiffer by nature, the tubing would often move the lead from side to side and still not show any indication at the rod end, unless the fish pulls directly away from the lead.

This lead me to just using the mainline straight through.

The lead does need to be fairly heavy in weight (3oz to 4oz) for the running rig to work properly, this is the reason i set about testing.

The best short to medium range running lead set up i can come up with, is this.

bottomrig00601.jpg

Its very simple in construction, just a 3.5oz inline flat pear, a quick link and a rubber tail to fit over the quick link.

I have taken out the plastic insert to the lead and drilled out the larger hole at the bottom of the lead to take the quick link and tail rubber.

Once in water the quick link and tail rubber move with out any friction at all and on testing at 25, 35 and 45 yards i only have to move the hooklink at most and inch or so before i get an indication at the rod end.

Sure i could of used an inline with a stop bead and swivel to gain the low friction i needed but i like to keep my rigs as inconspicous as possible.

This is what it looks like ready for a cast.

bottomrig00701.jpg

Thanks for looking

Guest keenook

Gary I see what you mean, but with respect can I add a couple of points which you seem to be lost on.

A 1/4 oz lead will give great indication.

A running lead set up with a link and swivel is to my mind better, if you need details just ask!

I personaly beleive the hook set up should do the job, lead set ups are a follow up if you will.

Lastly, there are no 100% set-up's, thank god, it would be so boring winding Carp in on 3.5tc rods and the "best bait & rigs"

Long live the thinking angler!

Gary I see what you mean, but with respect can I add a couple of points which you seem to be lost on.

A 1/4 oz lead will give great indication.

A running lead set up with a link and swivel is to my mind better, if you need details just ask!

I personaly beleive the hook set up should do the job, lead set ups are a follow up if you will.

Lastly, there are no 100% set-up's, thank god, it would be so boring winding Carp in on 3.5tc rods and the "best bait & rigs"

Long live the thinking angler!

Absolutely spot on. The lead is not needed to set the hook and all of my big fish have been caught on running rigs with leads of less than 2oz.

Hi gents

Firstly i am just using the lead as a pivot point, and i found on testing with an inline lead the heavier the better for me. Inline leads as you know have a hole drilled right through the centre, which in these leads is approximately 35 to 40 mm long, which causes the lead to lift slightly when Mr carp is fiddling with the hookbait, more so with lighter leads.

Having a heavier lead as a pivot point goes in some way to stop the lead lifting so easily and promotes line movement instead.

I wanted a presentation with just a lead, thats it, you would get better indication with a swivel lead but for me, i don,t like seeing swivels, clips, beads and so on. By drilling out the lead i was able to hide these components inside the lead.

On watching carp at close quarters over the years i have become more and more paranoid of what they are actually seeing that makes them spook.

Put my arrangement next to a lead clip with sleeve, clip, rubber sleeve and lead and you will see my one is more inconspicous, just a lead.

When i am stalking i use exactly the same set up only with a lighter lead, but only because i can seeing what the fish are doing.

If i were casting any major distance then yes i would use a swivel lead, and bead.

As for setting the hook i agree a razor sharp hook will penetrate the flesh and the bolt rig or semi fixed lead arrangements help firstly making the fish panic and help set the hook in some cases, but i think more often than not the fish are using the lead to its advantage and getting rid of the hook.

As for a 100% rig, well there's no such thing, as you say Kev thank god, it keeps us all on our toes and continously learning.

Just my views, im sure a lot won't agree but hey

Thanks for your points gents :)

Gary,

I honestly think we "overthink" situations sometimes.

I much prefer the run ring pendant set-up of running leads. I don't think that inline running leads behave at all as we think that they do. You need a heavier lead to have the free movement of the line through the lead, and you have to hope that the lead is not nose down and trapping any line, which unless you place the lead by hand you can't guarantee.

In my case I accept the reduction of sensitivity with a length of tubing and the run ring on that, but again, with the heavier lead (3oz in my case), I think that the lead holds bottom well, yet light leads obviously do work as Moorsey has proved time and time again.

Under this little lot is a couple of rigs, complete with tubing and running leads. These were taken from directly above the rigs, even with normal rubbish on the bottom in what is actually quite clear water, it is reasonably difficult to pick out lead, line, run ring and hooklink. It is the hookbaits that are the most visible and easily distinguished.

VPHl5gq5Sq1.jpg

Rigandtubing.jpg

In all honesty i probably do over think situations but thats what gives me confidence, which to be honest is my denominating factor. I am confident in the lead set up i use just as you are with yours. Everybody has there own little tweaks that gives them confidence and i commend anglers who do sit down and think and test their presentations and are not just persuaded by the press just because it catches for someone else. Id like to think i may be helping someone somewhere, even if they just use an idea or even if i can just get somebody thinking, thats enough for me. Like i said before there is not a 100% rig out there and i think its important to show various idea's on here. :)

On a lighter note you look like a russian spy in your reflection in photo 2 :lol:

In all honesty i probably do over think situations but thats what gives me confidence, which to be honest is my denominating factor. I am confident in the lead set up i use just as you are with yours. Everybody has there own little tweaks that gives them confidence and i commend anglers who do sit down and think and test their presentations and are not just persuaded by the press just because it catches for someone else. Id like to think i may be helping someone somewhere, even if they just use an idea or even if i can just get somebody thinking, thats enough for me. Like i said before there is not a 100% rig out there and i think its important to show various idea's on here. :)

On a lighter note you look like a russian spy in your reflection in photo 2 :lol:

I agree BUT there are a lot of articles written which are the product of a fertile imagination. I have spent many many hours paddling around in my lake in order to find which rig blends the best sensitivity with the biggest percentage of hook ups. A lot of the current published rigs have never been tested.

Hi all

I have been doing a lot of test's with running lead set ups for a while now to try and find the least resistant set up i can.

I like to try and keep things as simple as i can, keeping all components to a bare minimum.

I think running set ups give you the best and quickest indication possible, the only problem is, is they generally do not set the hook for you, which is fine as i am usually on the rods with in a split second anyway.

I tested using tubing, but because the tubing is stiffer by nature, the tubing would often move the lead from side to side and still not show any indication at the rod end, unless the fish pulls directly away from the lead.

This lead me to just using the mainline straight through.

The lead does need to be fairly heavy in weight (3oz to 4oz) for the running rig to work properly, this is the reason i set about testing.

The best short to medium range running lead set up i can come up with, is this.

bottomrig00601.jpg

Its very simple in construction, just a 3.5oz inline flat pear, a quick link and a rubber tail to fit over the quick link.

I have taken out the plastic insert to the lead and drilled out the larger hole at the bottom of the lead to take the quick link and tail rubber.

Once in water the quick link and tail rubber move with out any friction at all and on testing at 25, 35 and 45 yards i only have to move the hooklink at most and inch or so before i get an indication at the rod end.

Sure i could of used an inline with a stop bead and swivel to gain the low friction i needed but i like to keep my rigs as inconspicous as possible.

This is what it looks like ready for a cast.

bottomrig00701.jpg

Thanks for looking

I would worry about the line rubbing on the inside of the lead and the top and bottom lip of the lead its always a bit rough ware the coating stops. Although I'm sure you make sure it's all smoothed off Gary others might not .

Is the idea behind a running rig that the carp does not feel the lead at all ?

That's what i try to do

Surly with the quick link inside the lead if the fish goes off at an angle or comes back over the lead the link will catch inside the lead ,until the hole in the lead is inline with the hook

That's a bit close to the truth. My grandfather came over from Russia at the turn of the last century :wink::lol::lol:

That's a bit close to the truth. My grandfather came over from Russia at the turn of the last century :wink::lol::lol:

Nick im interested on your thoughts on the line acting like it is pulled through a tube when immersed would you care to elaborate, im sure it was you not so long back who mentioned this:)

Nick im interested on your thoughts on the line acting like it is pulled through a tube when immersed would you care to elaborate, im sure it was you not so long back who mentioned this:)

"The dynamics of any object moving through water."

I quick example that you can try for yourself is to cast out a float rod and allow the line to form a big bow [can be on the surface so that you can see the action or you can sink the line] and then pick up the rod and see how much line you can straighten before the float moves.

That is indicative of how good the indication is on slack lines.

Having tried Keiths test many times over the years, some intentionally and some not so those slack lines really do make a difference.

Attempting to cut through the water is a whole lot harder than pulling through it.

If you think of a tight line in water, and what happens on a take, the line is cutting through the water at any angle.

You will only get any indication if the fish is actually able to move the lead any distance, but there is pressure holding the line in place, and again it would be cutting through the water

Now with this running lead and slack line you have the line under no tension. On a take the run ring allows the line free passage, it slides through the run ring, the line is not cutting through the water, it pulls through this tube.

I went back to run rings again, as even though you have your set-up shown with a running lead, I'm not 100% sure of the true effects of an inline running lead. I think that on most occasions that they actually dive into the lakebed, and go "nose down". Now on most lakebeds, there is always likely to be sediment build-up and as the lead lands it will put its nose at the very least into this sediment. Come to that, over time the lead may start to sink into the silt. Or even the nose just dinks into the gravel, clay or sand; This would prevent the lead being free running.

Now with a run ring, again a lead may pull the whole lot into sediment (no arguments, it will happen), but as we tend to fish the least silty areas :wink::lol: , is less likely to be buried; for those who do actively fish in silt and sediment, the simple addition of a lead link (curse and darn it, possibly made of leadcore), will keep the run ring and end tackle above it.

I agree with the above, and i have actually seen the nose of the lead stained in clay, this becomes more apparent when the whole presentation is left to go down in a heap. I do feel the lead down and while the lead is on its way down i arc the rod slightly towards me and then just drag the lead a little on touch down for that reason and also to straighten out the rig.

With any rig we all have to make compromises somewhere, its just knowing the limitations and adapting the best possible solutions to achieve the presentation we want. :)