Helicopter rig problems

brighton_carper

Last night I was fishing helicopter rigs. I banked an 11lb'er at about midnight, then in the night I had a couple of what I thought were line bites, 2 or 3 bleeps up, 2 or 3 bleeps down, then nothing. When I woke up and checked everything this morning, I noticed that one of my rigs had definitely moved, and another one ended up in a snag. When I reeled in, I noticed on both rods that the top bead on the helicopter rig had been pulled up so it was running lose on the line, allowing the hook link to move up and down. Were the carp are using the weight of the lead to throw the hooks without giving a proper indication on my bite alarms?

And if so, I might be better switching to running rigs?

It's just that most of the fish in my lake are over 20lbs, but this season all I keep catching are the 10-12lbers. I'm wondering if the bigger fish have just got a bit smarter. What do you think?

You've certainly been done. I'd look at your indication a little more closely. The top bead coming off hasn't helped- but (as I'm sure you know) don't be tempted to glue it on - as that could lead to a tethered fish.

You've certainly been done. I'd look at your indication a little more closely. The top bead coming off hasn't helped- but (as I'm sure you know) don't be tempted to glue it on - as that could lead to a tethered fish.

I haven't just been done, I've been double done. :cry:

Don't worry, would never dream of glueing the bead on, that would be a death rig, plain and simple.

How long fella?

About 7-8 inches I think, although I don't actually measure them.

Just an idea, Why don't you make the hooklink twice as long and tie a loop at the opposite end to the hook. Thread the loop through the eye of your swivel, and pull the loop down towards the hook, so now the hooklink is doubled up, push the hook through the loop and pull down an inch or so,tie a piece of pva round both bits of hooklink and tie another pice of pva by the swivel.

When the pva dissolve's the loop is now free to travel up the hooklink until it hits the swivel, the hooklink might just be enough to make the fish panic and bolt giving you the best of both a running rig as well as a bolt rig.

Just an idea i used many years ago,

Guest keenook
At what range are you fishing?

One was in my own margins and the other was at about 40 yards.

Sorry but why are you using a Heli rig for close range work, as it is designed as a long range rig and has no benefit at close range?

At what range are you fishing?

One was in my own margins and the other was at about 40 yards.

Sorry but why are you using a Heli rig for close range work, as it is designed as a long range rig and has no benefit at close range?

Because it's safest way of using leadcore, and when using it with pva mesh it never tangles.

How long fella?

About 7-8 inches I think, although I don't actually measure them.

Just an idea, Why don't you make the hooklink twice as long and tie a loop at the opposite end to the hook. Thread the loop through the eye of your swivel, and pull the loop down towards the hook, so now the hooklink is doubled up, push the hook through the loop and pull down an inch or so,tie a piece of pva round both bits of hooklink and tie another pice of pva by the swivel.

When the pva dissolve's the loop is now free to travel up the hooklink until it hits the swivel, the hooklink might just be enough to make the fish panic and bolt giving you the best of both a running rig as well as a bolt rig.

Just an idea i used many years ago,

Can't really visualise that sitting on the train, but will try to recreate it in the shed tomorrow, see how it hangs. Cheers

Just had another though on this. Sometimes if your using a big bag on the hooklink- the force of the cast can cause it to fly up the line. It may happened on the cast :wink:

Yeah the bag can pull in the opposite direction to the bag when cast, didnt think of that :roll: even crashing through the water it can happen.