rig use question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey all

hope all are well and happy :D

i have a rig use question, ive moved to a new venue and so far struggling, im using a simple rig curved hook, and the silicone blow back rig, no luck

im thinking of changing my rigs to maybe improve my luck, 1 i was thinking of is a chod style rig, tied the same at the hook end, line looped back with small rig ring and attach bait via floss, but you use a 9"-11" length of flouro, apprantly makes the hooked bait look more like a free offering, the other idea, which is the 1 i wanted to ask about, was to use a combi rig with a short hook length with a bottom bait?

or is this a stupid question as all i found out about combi rigs is its uses with pop ups!!

Guest Anonymous

cheers liam

i use a running lead set up, lake i fish is only 2-3 acre, between 8-12 foot depths, any topping, roling or swirls are many smallerr fish 10lbers or less, the bigger fish just aint showing themselves atm, water is still quite cold, thats gonna be a factor i guess, plus i fish swims that are close to the bar and pads, so gives me a few options

hey all

hope all are well and happy :D

i have a rig use question, ive moved to a new venue and so far struggling, im using a simple rig curved hook, and the silicone blow back rig, no luck

im thinking of changing my rigs to maybe improve my luck, 1 i was thinking of is a chod style rig, tied the same at the hook end, line looped back with small rig ring and attach bait via floss, but you use a 9"-11" length of flouro, apprantly makes the hooked bait look more like a free offering, the other idea, which is the 1 i wanted to ask about, was to use a combi rig with a short hook length with a bottom bait?

or is this a stupid question as all i found out about combi rigs is its uses with pop ups!!

Ask Moorsey about Combi rigs and bottom baits :wink:

Mind you, I use Combi-rigs with snowman set-up most of the time.

All that is letting you down is the location. Don't piddle about with rigs, just concentrate on getting your location and feeding right. When that happens, and if you then start losing or missing fish, then start adjusting your rigs

Nicks right, I've been using combi rigs with bottoms baits since I fished Moorlands lake in France and have had some good results! If using boilies I do tend to drill them out and use a foam insert to make them a bit lighter on the bottom. The combi is also good for wafters!

Nicks right, I've been using combi rigs with bottoms baits since I fished Moorlands lake in France and have had some good results! If using boilies I do tend to drill them out and use a foam insert to make them a bit lighter on the bottom. The combi is also good for wafters!

Same here lewis and thanks for the time you spent showing me how to tie the knot got it to a tea now :wink:

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the advice again guys much needed,

i think after your advice ill stick with the simple rigs for now, and try and get position and baiting right before like you say i start messing around with rigs.

on my 1st visit to my new lake i was getting runs but when struck nothing was on the end, i was using a giant corn topper on an 18mm cell, and came to the conculsion that it was bream picking up the topper, so changed to a single bait, with no runs, so thought that a slight change in presantation might help.

but ill be foucssing more on finding them and baiting, keep it simples, cant be hard can it? lol

going next weekend ill keep u posted on how i do

cheers

i think after your advice ill stick with the simple rigs for now, and try and get position and baiting right before like you say i start messing around with rigs.

on my 1st visit to my new lake i was getting runs but when struck nothing was on the end, i was using a giant corn topper on an 18mm cell, and came to the conculsion that it was bream picking up the topper, so changed to a single bait, with no runs, so thought that a slight change in presantation might help.

but ill be foucssing more on finding them and baiting, keep it simples, cant be hard can it? lol

cheers

May actually be carp picking up the topper in their lips by "sight", and when you lift up could be pulling the hook out, or they are not feeding comfortably. If they were feeding comfortably, its likely that you would get pick-ups on the single Cell Boilie as well.

The chances are bream would still pick up an 18mm boilie even with a snowman bait. It could even be small silver fish picking up the bait by sight, yet not big enough to get an 18mm boilie in. It may even be a fish trailing line, or liners, you may be being done, and the bleeps are the bait being ejected. (Look for rod tip twitches)

Try one or all of these, but change one thing at a time; lengthen the hair lengthen the rig, put more feed out (you have fish in the area, and maybe not enough to get them confident).

If using a knotless knot set-up, there are occasions when a line aligner will help hook fish. Change the hooklink material, the supple section may be too short, or not supple enough.

As an aside my hooklink materials with a Combi are Amnesia in 30lb Clear and Merlin or SuperNova. The whole hooklink is about 20cms long, 15 of Amnesia, and 5cm of the soft section, and I attach the hook with a proper hair, at least 10mm separation between the bottom bait and the hook. (18mm bottom, 15mm Pop-up), so the hair is at least 45mm long in total from shank to tip of pop-up.

Guest Anonymous

cheers

May actually be carp picking up the topper in their lips by "sight", and when you lift up could be pulling the hook out, or they are not feeding comfortably. If they were feeding comfortably, its likely that you would get pick-ups on the single Cell Boilie as well.

The chances are bream would still pick up an 18mm boilie even with a snowman bait. It could even be small silver fish picking up the bait by sight, yet not big enough to get an 18mm boilie in. It may even be a fish trailing line, or liners, you may be being done, and the bleeps are the bait being ejected. (Look for rod tip twitches)

Try one or all of these, but change one thing at a time; lengthen the hair lengthen the rig, put more feed out (you have fish in the area, and maybe not enough to get them confident).

If using a knotless knot set-up, there are occasions when a line aligner will help hook fish. Change the hooklink material, the supple section may be too short, or not supple enough.

As an aside my hooklink materials with a Combi are Amnesia in 30lb Clear and Merlin or SuperNova. The whole hooklink is about 20cms long, 15 of Amnesia, and 5cm of the soft section, and I attach the hook with a proper hair, at least 10mm separation between the bottom bait and the hook. (18mm bottom, 15mm Pop-up), so the hair is at least 45mm long in total from shank to tip of pop-up.

cheers for the advice sal

it shouldnt be liners i pin my line down front 3oz lead with a 1.25oz back lead.

i had 9 screaming runs and every1 when struck just came back at me with no fish, with my limited experience lead to believe that it was bream, if it was carp id have pick 1 of them up shirley?

i will start next weekend when i go ill change the amount of bait that goes in to start with, i was advized to cast out with a small mesh bag with some offerings in then throw or cat out a few more, ill double to amount for the 1st 24hrs and see wot happens, if nothing then ill lengthen the hair, though saying that i do use an 9-12" hair as it is, maybe a shorter 1 might do bettter, getting down there thursday morning beating the hardcore to the better swims :twisted: increase my chances even more murhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thanks agian for the advice on tying combis, i use amnesia but 20lb and either nash tt silt,weed or camo defusion braid at the end. they feel fairly supple, not tried any of those that u mentioned, gonna see if the tackle shop near me has some, give that ago aswell

the line aliner u speak of can i use a large fake grub or is it better to use a piece of silicone?

it shouldnt be liners i pin my line down front 3oz lead with a 1.25oz back lead. i had 9 screaming runs and every1 when struck just came back at me with no fish, with my limited experience lead to believe that it was bream, if it was carp id have pick 1 of them up shirley?

The backlead may be part of your problem; they can reduce the time it takes for any indication to reach your rod, by the time you've picked up the rod the fish could have gone seconds ago.

If it was bream, the chances are you'd actually reel in after no indication with a bream on the end of the line.

You are adding an extra angle from rod tip to backlead, then from the backlead to your lead and end tackle.

Add to that, its extremely unlikely that every lakebed is perfectly flat and smooth, your backlead may actually be pulling the line into a weedbed, or onto a gravel bar, and from that it is then tight to the main lead or another gravel bar or feature, so it does NOT necessarily reduce the chance of liners.

Guest Anonymous
Add to that, its extremely unlikely that every lakebed is perfectly flat and smooth, your backlead may actually be pulling the line into a weedbed, or onto a gravel bar, and from that it is then tight to the main lead or another gravel bar or feature, so it does NOT necessarily reduce the chance of liners.

i know that the lake bed wont be truely flat, my understanding was that if you let the line sink allowing it to fall over the contours of the lake, then add a back lead obviously it tighens the line but closer to the lake bed, reducing, not fully eliminating, liners, clearly not the case, cheers for the advice again sal much appreciated :D

not much weed in this lake, just on the bank when im there anyway lol

using the running lead set up with the back lead i was getting twitches at the rod tip, without the alarms going off, ive often been on the move to pick up the rod, before the alarms have gone off due to the rod tip moving so much,

also i thought the whole point of this kinda set up was that everything was tight, so that bite indication was almost instant the moment the fish picks up the bait and starts to move off. this is kinda the whole reason ive tried to gear my set up to this so i get almost instant indication of fish even if there just picking the bait up and dropping it, lets me know at least there in the swim, and feeding even if they dont taking my bait, i can change that accordingly.

i know that the lake bed wont be truely flat, my understanding was that if you let the line sink allowing it to fall over the contours of the lake, then add a back lead obviously it tighens the line but closer to the lake bed, reducing, not fully eliminating, liners, clearly not the case, cheers for the advice again sal much appreciated :D

not much weed in this lake, just on the bank when im there anyway lol

using the running lead set up with the back lead i was getting twitches at the rod tip, without the alarms going off, ive often been on the move to pick up the rod, before the alarms have gone off due to the rod tip moving so much,

also i thought the whole point of this kinda set up was that everything was tight, so that bite indication was almost instant the moment the fish picks up the bait and starts to move off. this is kinda the whole reason ive tried to gear my set up to this so i get almost instant indication of fish even if there just picking the bait up and dropping it, lets me know at least there in the swim, and feeding even if they dont taking my bait, i can change that accordingly.

Adding the back lead, doesn't allow the line to follow the lakebed contours, it just tightens it up over them, so with a slack line that may fall down onto the lakebed, your're actually now pulling it tight again.

The line twitching at the rod tip with running leads and slack lines can actually be small fish hitting the line between the surface of the water and the lakebed.

The running leads will give you instant indication, and indication of almost every sniff and miss, you don't hit it until you get a proper screamer. You need to have the indicator at maximum drop, laying on the ground and with the line running slack through that as well. In fact the line should be touching the base of every ring, properly slack with loops in between the eyes.

Not saying its right, but since I use running leads almost every time I fish, it works for me;

Cast out (and I'm fishing at ranges from 0-100metres), and feel the lead down on a tight line. With the line on a tight line, put the rod tip underwater and pull slack off the reel as you move the rod back to the buzzer. Keep on pulling line off to allow extra slack, then put the rod on the buzzer and attach indicator, pulling even more line off the reel. As it sinks through the water, it may start to pull your indicator up, each time, slacken off again. It may take as much as 20minutes for the line to go totally slack.

Guest Anonymous

cheers sal for being so patient with me, and for all the advice

there does seem to be alot of conflicting advice out there

http://www.anglinglines.com/blog/a-quick-guide-to-using-backleads/

fig 3 is what i assumed was happening with the addition of a back lead

then i read this on an other site with totally contradicts what ive read else where about back leads and bite idication

Using Backleads And Delayed Bite Registrations

Back leads will cause worse bite indications no matter where or how you set them up. They most often lead to a delayed bite indication because they cause more angles in the line, and angles always cause less sensitivity for bite registration. Heavier back leads also allow some fish to run to the side without any registration at all. This is simply because the line turns or arcs at the point of the back lead and thus doesn’t allow the pull of the line to reach the bobbin.

For a backlead tip, point the tip of the rod towards the backlead’s position in the water. This creates less angles and improves the sensitivity of the bites indicated.

saying that i do point my rods in the direction ive cast so the is a straight run between bait and rod tip

though i think i may have confussed myself 1 to many jamaican cigars :?

quick question about your method sal with that slack linel wot happens with drop backs if the lines that slack surely they dont register

cheers sal for being so patient with me, and for all the advice

there does seem to be alot of conflicting advice out there

http://www.anglinglines.com/blog/a-quick-guide-to-using-backleads/

fig 3 is what i assumed was happening with the addition of a back lead

then i read this on an other site with totally contradicts what ive read else where about back leads and bite idication

Using Backleads And Delayed Bite Registrations

Back leads will cause worse bite indications no matter where or how you set them up. They most often lead to a delayed bite indication because they cause more angles in the line, and angles always cause less sensitivity for bite registration. Heavier back leads also allow some fish to run to the side without any registration at all. This is simply because the line turns or arcs at the point of the back lead and thus doesn’t allow the pull of the line to reach the bobbin.

For a backlead tip, point the tip of the rod towards the backlead’s position in the water. This creates less angles and improves the sensitivity of the bites indicated.

saying that i do point my rods in the direction ive cast so the is a straight run between bait and rod tip

though i think i may have confussed myself 1 to many jamaican cigars :?

quick question about your method sal with that slack linel wot happens with drop backs if the lines that slack surely they dont register

Slack lines and running rigs will always register a "normal" bite. The lead doesn't move but the line does.

With a slack line and running lead, there is no such thing as a drop back.

Line gets taken whichever direction the fish swims. Simply wind down to the fish and play.