Rushes lake

graphy

i am also going in august not sure what baits i'll be taking yet but did get through about 30k last time we went but there was only 4 of us on then,what i can tell you is its a fantastic place great hosts and great food big baits worked last time we was there 24mm doubled up infact not sure if that is still the case,i'm sure iian will put you straight

Cheers for the replys, i was thinking of using one of there baits and taking my own particles as feed. Im going to have a go for the cats as well, do you know if live baiting is allowed and if so is there any small fish in there to use for bait?

Hi there...

Yes you can use livebaits but since doing the latest netting in March they are more difficult to find, still bring your float rod... chap this week was fishing for livebaits and caught a 17lber on a size 16 which made for a good bit of sport!

Our fish also have it off the top so worth a go.

If you can catch a few of the livebait size carp which might be hard work you need to fish them on a dumbell rig with bait about 12" under the surface. Ive had a few out of rushes this way and i do know some 50+ have also been caught on the rig while i have been there. By using lives you are at least targeting the cats and not also the carp which will take a lot of so called cat baits such as meat, squid, worms, pellets etc. You will catch them on the boilie and pellet but the takes on lives are something else. Just make sure you are using proper gear for them, i advise catfish pro hooks and 40lb big game leader line for hooklinks on the lives, this is seriously abrasion resistant and keeps tangles to a minimum. Braids are a no no on the lives due to tangles.

PS. Steve when are you going as i'm also on during August

IMG_0277.jpg

Hi, cheers for the info and pic, very nice fish. i was thinking along the same lines and my though was if you could see them attacking the pray fish on the top in the evening, by using lives you stand alot better chance of catching your target fish. Im out there w/c 25th.

• 1 month later...

no mate we taking a bait iberian (ian) is getting,its being made fresh for us,basically a fishmeal and pineapple bait we will all have 1k 30mm 4k 24mm and 20k of 20mm each,but i will be using halibut pellet on one rod for the cats,and was hoping to do some surface fishing myself during the day

i might bring some cell just incase :wink: