Elasticated method feeder - safety issue??

davehazell

Having spend quite some time trying to find a suitable method feeder for my helicopter rig, I finally decided to buy the elasticated version of the Preston and Kobra feeders so I can use my existing moulds. My idea is to discard the elastic and use the eye with a swivel to attach to the rig.

It then occurred to me that people use his feeder with the elastic presumably because it provide a soft take. It does however raise issues on the safety of this rig unless of course you use hook leader that is significantly lower than main line to avoid the fish being left with the entire rig. Even then, if the main line snags and breaks, the fish is left with all the tackle. Surely this is questionale rig when it come to safety.

What is the general view on using the elastic feeder method?

Having spend quite some time trying to find a suitable method feeder for my helicopter rig, I finally decided to buy the elasticated version of the Preston and Kobra feeders so I can use my existing moulds. My idea is to discard the elastic and use the eye with a swivel to attach to the rig.

It then occurred to me that people use his feeder with the elastic presumably because it provide a soft take. It does however raise issues on the safety of this rig unless of course you use hook leader that is significantly lower than main line to avoid the fish being left with the entire rig. Even then, if the main line snags and breaks, the fish is left with all the tackle. Surely this is questionale rig when it come to safety.

What is the general view on using the elastic feeder method?

Not sure you quite got the reason for the elastic right, you may be right, but I always thought it was used as a "smack back", to stretch and then hook the fish itself.

I think you've hit the nail on the head in terms of risk though; an elasticated feeder is a potential risk. In the event of a mainline snap-off a fish is trailing a feeder. If that feeder snags up, then the fish could potentially be tethered. OK elastic usually has a lesser breaking strain than your mainline, but if the feeder is tethered, a carp will have to accelerate from zero to break the elastic to break free.

Several years ago I used the elasticated method feeders, largely because at that time they were pretty well all you could get. Even then I had my doubts about their safety in the event of a break-off. I then "discovered" in-line feeders, safe, easy to deploy and can be used with peace of mind.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with snowmansteve, the Guru feeders have a built in safety feature to eject the feeder in the event of a snap up.

I myself fish the method a fair bit, but won't use the elastic, I cut them out. Instead I feed my mainline through the middle and connect to a swivel (running style) that way if my mainline breaks the feeder will fall off and the fish will have no more than a short hooklength to deal with.