River Avon, Evesham, Harvington

Alright guys.

Has anyone fished on the river Avon stretch in Evesham?

Because, last year my mate from work took his caravan there, to be precise, the anchor lane stretch in harvington, Evesham.

This stretch is like a little island with around 20 pegs I think, and has a weir half way down, and one morning he got onto the weir landing 6 barbel, biggest was 14lb 8oz, also his first tome fishing for barbel!

So this year, me and him and another mate from work decided to do a 48 hour session bivvying up there. (my first time night fishing and fishing a river!)

So we got there Friday afternoon, and as we feared the weir swims where all taken. So we settled in on the point above the weir and we squeezed in 3 bi bivvys and settled in for the weekend. Later on that evening we met done people who where looking after the stretch as the owners where on holiday, and we paid them and they said this is where there best carp and barbel have being caught, 18lb barbel, 48lb carp.

These people seemed genuine but those who have fished it will know the owner is full of trollop! There is an 8lb perch there now, and the 48lb Carp was eaten by a bigger catfish...

Anyway, we fished it for the full 48 hours and we all blanked! We must of tried everything, and on our 2nd night someone pegged up next to us who seemed to no what he was doing as he was really into his river fishing, and he only landed 1 small bream.

I found it very very weedy, not sure how weedy a river normally is but this was covered in it!

And I was just wondering if anyone has fished it and if so did you fish up our end or the weir end.

I also found that I don't think river fishing is for me, although I had a great time, I found it a whole different ball game and want to concentrate on lakes.

But the surroundings of the place was great and peaceful, also the people fishing on the first 3 pegs of the weir where hauling out the barbel and chub.

Sorry it's long winded. I get carried away when typing :D

Ross :)

I like BS Ken, he's a nice bloke but he's not to be taken too seriously :lol:

I'm very grateful to Mick (Leggs) for showing me Anchor Meadow. It's a lovely stretch of river & holds some very nice fish. I have nothing but good memories of the place & return as often as i can.

Everyone I spoke too mentioned ken and his stories haha.

But it was a lovely looking stretch, and just below the weir they hauled them out, but we did some chub and barbel up our end but it couldn't get then biting, but as our first time on a river we felt out of our depth, may have to try again later in the year. Nice looking place none the less

• 10 years later...

This stretch of the river is good for carp and barbel into doubles. But be prepared for a lot of hard work and more than one day trip there to catch a nice fish or two.(unless luck is on your side). River fishing is a totally different ball game to lake fishing tbf. You have to have patience and expect to blank. Anybody can catch a carp on a lake where they have nowhere to run. But when you whip some nice river carp and barbel out of the river.. well. It's really rewarding. Go to a lake. Catch 15 carp in one day... Even catch them on haribo at most places. 😂 A wicked stretch to fish is peg 1-88 in Evesham town centre along through the park all the way past Hampton ferry! Peg. 14-20 for barbel. Happy fishing! Fish onnnn