Rigs for this year

bivvybasher

Different rig each year :? Why!!! keep it simple is the best advice, sharp hooks, and a good hooklink material, That blends in to what your fishing on.

Don't change for the sake of changing or jump on the chod rig band waggon, Do what works for you and stick with it.

By all means fine tune rigs, hook size and patterns etc... good luck

Dan :wink:

Dont get caught up in "rigness" I did last year and spent more bloomin time tying rigs than I did landing fish :cry: going back to a nice and simple running rig with just enough weight on to cast where I need to.

All the magazines say their "wonder rig " will help you catch the most wary and intelligent carp, I'm quite happy though to catch the thickest carp in the lake :D:D:D

Some very nice comments so far in this thread :wink:

An honest answer here:

Forget about rigs, get confident in what works for you, and a most basic knotless knotted hook with or without a line aligner will hook the majority of fish actually caught in Britain.

There is a current fashion being perpetrated by magazines that you have to use the KD rig, the 360 rig, or whatever. Its Bull :!::wink:

The thing with rigs is that you need to consider what the lakebed is made up of, and if it helps you, camouflage your hooklink to that lakebed. So for gravel, which is usually a mix of browns, reds, yellows, black etc, a hooklink that matches that :wink:

As for Lead set-ups, there is always going to be a lot of talk about which is best, but here is a very simple answer for you. If you use a Running lead set-up, just by fishing a tight line you can have a semi-fixed set-up. The tight line prevents the lead from running up the line on a take. Fish that same lead set-up with a slack line, and it becomes a truly running set-up :wink:

It is also the most user and carp friendly in the event of a break-off. The lead can be ejected from the mainline, and if you are using the split run rings, then in the event of a snag up the lead can be ejected with no problems, leaving you with a direct line to the fish.

• 3 weeks later...

my rigs for this year are the same as last year, and the year before, and before etc - only change rigs if there is a need to - i think they are no longer doing the job. i like to keep things simple, silkworm braid, JRC dave lane hooks, helecopter rigs, leadcore. as for all these wonderrigs out there, well i think they catch anglers more than carp - all these new "spinning-flipper-razor-hooker-30lber rig" well you can keep it, i am always amused how tey are sold as the "only big carp rig" and the rig that will "definiatly catch more big carp" - so if i tie one on it will definiatly catch me a big carp? well only if my location was spot on and my baits are well chosen and there is a big carp feeding in the swim to begin with, it cannot guarantee you will catch a big carp anymore than i can.

simple is best, KISS!

oucthathurt :roll: