Driving in France

caspa1705

Im doing my 1st trip to france in may & i'm taking my own van,theres just a few little things i could do with knowing before my trip.My number plates have a GB logo on them at the end of the plate,will this be ok or will i still need a GB sticker on the van its self?Also whats the crack with headlamp deflectors & is it a must?Last thing is can i only use change (euros) for the tolls that we are going to pass?

Your info will be much appreciated, cheers Ryan

:)

pop into halfords as you'll need a spare bulb set, headlamp converters (if you take these off carefully after you can reuse them with d/sided tape)a warning triangle and a high vis tabard per person, got a list in halfords of all you need for each country, not sure but you may also need a stick with a little white flag on top :wink:

Here is a copp of a post I made on another forum

There really is a lot of rubbish said when it comes to driving in France. Yes they have speed cameras but nowhere near as many as we have in the UK and the ones on Motorways are usually well sign posted warning you well in advance.

I am a regular visitor to France over 50 times. Driving in France is a pleasure apart from large cities which are best avoided.

You must carry a high viz jacket for the driver but best carry one each for passenger and they must be within easy reach (ie not in the boot), also a red warning triangle. Mind you anyone driving in the dark on French roads without one before must have had a death wish as only city roads have street lamps, the rest are pitch black so if you had to stop and get out you were really risking being hit by another vehicle.

Other important things to check.

If you have fully comp insurance in the UK make sure it is valid in France many of you will find its only 3rd party.

Carry your driving licence, insurance doc and also your vehicle registration doc (not copies, mad I know but thats the French law for you).

If you have borrowed the vehicle from a friend carry a letter from him saying he has given you permission to use it in and in France.

An unwritten rule. Speed limit on motorways is 130k and 110k when wet, wet means if you have to use your wipers.

Not compulsory but have breakdown cover unless you speak good French.

One other point if you do get stopped by the old bill, be polite they are not like the UK old bill they don’t take kindle to swearing or abuse, you wont get away with it.

Sat Navs even the best can lead you the wrong way so at least know the names of major cities you are heading for.

At the moment fuel is more expensive in France than here in the UK.

France is not a cheap country (apart from beer in super markets), expect to pay around 5 Euro a pint in a bar. (dsont know what that had to do with driving in France lol) apart from DONT DO IT

This one came right out the blue to me its an accident report form and not having one you could end up with all sorts of problems.

More info here and you can print a copy of the form from a link on the web site.

Even if not a legal requirement it will help should you have an accident.

http://www.france-property-and-information.com/france_car_accident.htm

Thanks for the info!Any of you have any idea about the number plate with GB on it or will i need a sticker?

you will not need a GB sticker if you have it already on your number plate,

and you now need a high viz jacket for all passengers in your car / van just get as many jackets as you have seats. you never know !!

also fire extinquisher is required as are the deflectors !

and another thing the tolls will only accept euros and it may pay to have a good 100 plus to hand in your wallet as fines for speeding etc are expected to be paid on the spot ( trust me on that one)

The fines are good value for money though. I got a £80 fine for doing a speed that would get you a three year ban in this country. I joked with policeman as I paid the fine- "So you want me to slow down now?" he shrugged his shoulders smiled and said "Not really, next time I just fine you more", wished me a safe journey and took me back onto the motorway.

For the most part you won't see a policeman on the roads. I did probably ten trips over a 5 or 6 years until I even saw a motorway copper.

They seem to have a run on busy tourist times (like when the le mans is on) on Saturday mornings as all the english sprint up to the coast. If you see some coppers on the motorways- then you'll see them every 10 miles.

If you speed on the toll roads- they can work out your ave. speed too and do you on the exit tolls. If you have a long stretch on a toll road; a ten minute stop at a motorway service station will bring your ave speed down. Allegedly.

:wink:

The fines are good value for money though. I got a £80 fine for doing a speed that would get you a three year ban in this country. I joked with policeman as I paid the fine- "So you want me to slow down now?" he shrugged his shoulders smiled and said "Not really, next time I just fine you more", wished me a safe journey and took me back onto the motorway.

For the most part you won't see a policeman on the roads. I did probably ten trips over a 5 or 6 years until I even saw a motorway copper.

They seem to have a run on busy tourist times (like when the le mans is on) on Saturday mornings as all the english sprint up to the coast. If you see some coppers on the motorways- then you'll see them every 10 miles.

If you speed on the toll roads- they can work out your ave. speed too and do you on the exit tolls. If you have a long stretch on a toll road; a ten minute stop at a motorway service station will bring your ave speed down. Allegedly.

:wink:

:lol: same as mate i said to the one that pulled me "next time meet me at calais when i arrive and i will pay in advance" he laughed and said "you call me for fast track ticket" :wink::shock::D i got 75 euros for doing 125mph :shock::? i personally think its beer money for em but i wasn't going to argue

Its a complete myth that they work out your average speed between tolls.

What the old bill do is stand on a slip road before the toll checking speed of drivers going past them and towards the toll (drivers approaching the toll cannot see them).

They also do this anywhere along the motorway even miles before the toll.

So these drivers think they have been done by average speed because they did not see the speed camera.

Please bear in mind when going through speed cameras in France that the fines are now enforceable in the UK. If you fail to pay then when you next go to france in that vehicle you could well find it being impounded! The joys of automatic number plate recognition. You will be expected to pay on the spot (or find a lake near the compound).

Please bear in mind when going through speed cameras in France that the fines are now enforceable in the UK. If you fail to pay then when you next go to france in that vehicle you could well find it being impounded! The joys of automatic number plate recognition. You will be expected to pay on the spot (or find a lake near the compound).

This all sounds rather dodgy. British courts can't get the money that is owed to them by uk residents for uk crimes...let alone getting it on behalf of the French.

Also cars are bought, sold, rented, borrowed all the time. The crime is perpetrated by an individual not a car.it is an individual that is prosecuted...driving a car that once went through France quite quickly is no evidence of guilt and is unenforceable.

Whilst on the way to an expensive and long waited for holiday do you want to put this to the test. Yes you could also use another vehicle but if stopped your details will be on the system so they might get you that way. Is it worth ruining a holiday to gain a bit of time. Unlike the UK the French police will seize your vehicle and will want full payment before release as well as the fees for taking it away and impounding it.

Whilst on the way to an expensive and long waited for holiday do you want to put this to the test. Yes you could also use another vehicle but if stopped your details will be on the system so they might get you that way. Is it worth ruining a holiday to gain a bit of time. Unlike the UK the French police will seize your vehicle and will want full payment before release as well as the fees for taking it away and impounding it.

if your nice to them they will give you a map to the cash machine confiscate your passport, driving licience and all you car reg documents and let you go get the money for them :wink::twisted::)

They actually took me to the cash machine. I claimed to have no money on me to see what would happen. They just said "follow us" and drove into the nearest town to a cash machine...waited till I'd drawn the money out and then took us back to the motorway. All very civil...none of the attitude you get from uk police.

• 1 month later...

I think driving in a mature and sensible way would be the best bet. If you had been witness to a high speed RTA as I have, you would think twice about driving so stupidly. Speed kills - period, If any of you get caught driving at some of the speeds mentioned above I hope the French police throw the book at you next time your caught.

Your better to obey the rules and that way you wont get a tug, one thing thats not been said is that at a junction that says stop make sure you do because it's a nick if you dont come to a total rest. seat belts ! wear em my mate got nicked in a car park for not wearing one .,and we live here