what knot to use on ring swivel?

samcfc

What is the hooklink material?

Fluorocarbons work better with other knots to those that work with mono, braids or coated braids :wink:

Since I rarely or even never use fluoros I nearly always use the Uni knot for all my fishing to swivels :!:

What is the hooklink material?

Fluorocarbons work better with other knots to those that work with mono, braids or coated braids :wink:

Since I rarely or even never use fluoros I nearly always use the Uni knot for all my fishing to swivels :!:

i will be using a uncoated braid

Palomar or the half blood get my vote

Really???? what materials do you use fella???

I cant stand the half blood myself in all honesty, plaomar isnt bad.

Never had a half blood go using braid, monos it goes occasionally. I use the palomar with any material just an all round easy to tie and very reliable knot.

Palomar or the half blood get my vote

The Palomar is one of the few knots that is 100% efficient, but the blood knot is pretty bad in terms of breakage and efficiency in many hooklink materials or mainlines. It is a strangulation knot, and can cut through itself when under pressure.

The blood knot is the first knot I used when tying hooks and swivels to mono, and even as a child I used to notice the occasional unexplained breakage from it. Also for tying hooks on it is NOT as tidy as a Uni knot or even knotless or whipping knot, especially if you use the hooklink as a continuation to form the hair.

The only material I feel comfortable using a blood knot on is Amnesia for my marker rod boom and leader, although it is rated best for some fluorocarbons, but do lighter blob the tag end to stop it pulling through :wink:

With a Uni knot in mono or coated and uncoated braids I have not had a breakage unless I have had to pull for a break. In fact I have actually had the combi link knot or braid break before the swivel loop knot in Amnesia.

i am using hybrid soft with coating taken off and loop at the end of the hooklink for quik change does that sound ok to you?

No, the hooklink material sounds like a piece of junk :P:lol::lol:

I refuse to use Hybrid after I saw a mate have it fail a number of times, no reason, just gave way at the (recommended) knot to swivel or quicklink or the hook. Korda claim that they have sorted the problem, but I just won't use it, especially as many others have said the same thing, and even DF has said that he has had problems with people returning it.

The hooklink materials I use are Kryston Mantis, Merlin, Snakebite, Jackal, SuperSilk (not recently) and Amnesia. I have never had any of them fail, so I have NO need to try anything else :wink:

Each of them works with the "improved" loop knot shown in the Kryston packing and/or the Uni knot.

With the improved loop knot though, be aware that even the layered coating of the coated braids will eventually start to break and come away :wink:

• 4 months later...