Norfolk Waters

Aldeby Hall Fruit Farm Lakes, Beccles

5 small Pits: Otter - Crossing Water - Long Water - Round Water - Bridge Water .

Good treelined woody mixed fishery with variety of stocks and carp to 28lb plus.

Depths between 2 and 8 feet, and the water is normally well coloured. Wooden Stagings in all swims which cater for Disabled Anglers

Tickets from:Paul Gibbs - 01502 678121

1 rod £6 2 rods £9 3 rods £12 8am to 8 am includes night.

The lakes can be found on the A143 about a mile on the way to Aldeby.

Barford Lakes Fishery, Barford

There are four lakes at the main Barford Lakes Complex (which includes the Training Lake). Barford Pleasure Lake, 35 pegs,

Top Lake, 15/16 swims, Training Lake, 7 swims and the Match only Match Lake. Depths Range from 6 to 15feet deep. Carp are the Main species up to 20lb, although other species are present. Some of the lakes and pegs are suitable for Disabled Anglers

Contact: Barford Lakes and Tackle Shop, Chapel Street, Barford, Norwich, Norfolk NR9 4BJ Tel: 01603 759624

Email: sarah@barfordlakes.co.uk

Route: From Norwich follow the A47 towards Dereham, then take the B1108 towards Watton, then follow the signs to Barford.

After entering Barford on the B1108 you will see a pub called The Cock Inn and there is a Fiat garage opposite. Take the road opposite the pub which is Cock Street. Continue to the end and turn right at the T-junction and carry on through the village for about a quarter of a mile. You will then notice that on the right hand side the road is lined with oak trees. Keep looking to the right and you will see our 300-yard gravel driveway, signed Barford Lakes.

Bawburgh Lake Norwich

This 12 acre Gravel Pit varies in depth between 2 and 18 feet, offering a variety of shallow plateaux and deep gullies. The Carp are well into 20lb mark, as well as other species.

This is a Members only water of the Norfolk Anglers Consultative Association.

Route: From Norwich take the Dereham Road towards Bowthorpe, and turn left at the Bowthorpe Roundabout. Turn Right at the Traffic lights and proceed to the mini roundabout, take the right turn down the narrow Bawburgh Road. Bawburgh Lake is on the right of the track.

Blickling Lake Blickling near Aylsham, North Norfolk.

Set in the grounds of Blickling Hall, owned by the National Trust. This open water of over 20 acres is shallow and weedy at the hall end. Depths vary from 6ft to 10ft at dam wall end.Mixed Fishery with Bream, Roach, Tench and Carp to Double Figures.

No night fishing.TICKETS:£3.50 on the bank.CONTACT:01263 734181

Booton Clay Pit, Booton

This triangular tree surrounded pit is about 4 acres. There are beds of reeds topping the shallow bars. Carp run to over 30lb

Route: From Norwich take the road to Reepham. Just before Reepham village take the road to Haveringland and Buxton.

The pit is on the left after about one and a half miles, well hidden by a hedge of Tall Trees.

Common Charity Lakes, Lenwade

Situated on Lenwade Common these Lakes are controlled by Great Witchingham Fuel Allotment Charity, and comprise 3 lakes between 2 and 5 acres. Depths vary betweem 5 and 15 feet and the water is usually very clear. There are other species as well as Carp to 20lb+.

Route: From Norwich take the A1067 Fakenham road into Lenwade and then take the first left after the Village Bakery and Butchers shop. This leads directly to the fishery and Car Park.

Cobbleacre Lake, Hevingham Norwich

This is a complex of 3 gravel and Claypits varying in size between 3 1/2 acres and 1/4 acre.

The Largest lake varies in depth from 4 to 12 feet with carp to over 25lb. The other 2 are more General Coarse fisheries.

Route: From Norwich take the B1149 Holt Roadpassing through Horsford. 3/4 of a mile past the Shorthorm Crossroads turn right alongside the woodyard down Brick Kiln Road. The entrance to the lakes is on the right past Baileys Barn

Costessey Pits No2 and 3, Costessey

Owned by Anglian Water, these 2 pits are known as the Ski Pit (No2), where Water Skiing takes place and the Carp Lake (No3).

No2 is approximately 15acres and has depths between 8 and 12 feet. The water is usually well coloured and has Carp to over 30lb as well as other species. Level swims are provided for Wheelchair anglers near the Main Car Park. Day and Season Tickets are available

from Anglian Water Office at Taverham Mills.

No3 covers 6 acres and averages over 10 feet deep. The swims are cut in woodland around the margins of the lake.

The Carp go to over 40lb. There is a Syndicate on this lake.

Contact for both waters: Anglian Water 01603 861014.

Route: From Norwich take the Dereham Road towards the Norfolk Showground. At the Roundhouse pub turn right into Longwater Lane.

At the end by the school turn left and then take the next right turn towards Taverham. The Lakes are then on the right.

Cranworth/Woodrising Water Meadows

This 2 acre man made lake has 2 islands and is shaped like a figure of eight. Depths vary from 2-10feet and the water is well coloured.

There is a prolific stock of Carp to over 20lbs. Crayfish are also present in the water. Caravanners and Camp site is also available.

Route: From Norwich take the B1108 Watton road to Hingham, just beyond the village look out on the right for the road to Shipden, follow the Cranworth signs and the lake is near to Jubilee farm on the right.

Felmingham Mill LAKES, Aylsham.

Three lakes, depths vary from 3 to 10 feet and contain good stocks of Roach, Tench, Crucian Carp and some double figure Carp to 15lb

Day Ticket £3.50 and OAP £2.00 Tel. 01263 735106

Northfield Lakes (formerly Holmans Pits), Southery

Two well established oval shaped Clay Pits of around 1 and 11/2 acres. Depths vary between 2 and 7 feet. Carp to over 20lb and other species.

Day Tickets. Contact Tel 01366 377551

Route: From Downham Market take the A10 towards Ely for around 5miles and then turn into Southery on the B1386. Entrance to the lakes is the second farm turning on the left

Home Lake, Aylsham

Natural spring fed lake, 30 well laid out swims, sheltered. Carp to 32 lb, high average size (20+).

Taswood Lakes

This venue is a collection of 5 lakes, Heron, Broadwing and Spring Lakes all contain some nice carp but Broadwing contains probably the largest of the carp including all the strains mirror's, common's and some great grass carp. All the lakes contain large grass carp so for anyone seeking a big grassie the perhaps is no better place to have a go than this venue

Route: From Norwich take the A140 to Newton Flotman, then the right turn to Flordon. After about a mile and a half take the left turn to Tasburgh, the lakes are on the left.

Taverham Mills Lake, Taverham

Controlled by Anglian Water This beautiful 20acre Lake is almost completely Tree lined, and has extensive Lily Beds. The depths range from 3 feet down to 15foot. As well as Tench and Bream to Double figure there are Carp to over 30lb. Tickets are available from the Fishery Lodge/ Tackle Shop on site. Facilities include Holiday Lodges, Tackle Shop and Toilet. There are both Season and Day Tickets available.

Contact: Anglian Water Tel 01603 861014. www.taverham-mill.com

Route: from Norwich take the A1067 Fakenham Road into Drayton, and turn left immediately after the Petrol Station. Follow this road

into Taverham until you reach the Crossroads. The Fishery is then on the left right next to the Prepatory School at the end of a long drive.

Thompson Water, near Merton, Norwich

This huge reed lined lake of over 30acres is for the most part between 2 and 5 feet deep, although there are holes to over 10 feet deep.

As well as Carp to over 20lbs there are other species.

Route: From Norwich, take the B1108 Watton Road into Watton, then the B1110 road into Merton and through into Thompson Village.

Turn down Marlpit Lane on the rightand carry on down to the unmade Peddars way (Roman Road), and the lake is on the left.

University Broad Lake Norwich

This 10 acre Gravel Pit is the only large fishable stillwater actually inside the City Boundary of Norwich.

Depths range from 4 to 20 feet, with deep water around much of the margins. As well as Rudd, roach, Tench and Bream, there are Carp to over 20lb.

This Lake is controlled by the University of East Anglia, and is Members Only.

Contact: Mr. Paul Fountain, Finance Division, The Registry,University of East Anglia, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7TJ

http://www.uea.ac.uk/~e419/ueasaac/welcome.html

Route: Take the B1108 Watton Roadfrom the Centre of Norwich and then turn left into Bluebell road in Earlham Village.

The University and the Broad can be seen in the Yare valley on the right.

Waveney Valley Lakes Wortwell

This complex is probably the best stocked group of Carp Fisheries in East Anglia. Heartsmere, Yew Tree, Marsh Lake, and the Alphabetically named lakes. Depths range from 3 to 12 feet deep over the complex. Many of the Lakes contain Carp to over 30lb.

On site there are full facilities, Tackle shop, showers, toilets etc. There are Caravans to hire as well as Day Ticket Lakes.

Route: From Norwich take the A140. After Long Stratton take the left turn to Pulham Market, continue along this road, the B1134into Harleston, and then take the road into Wortwell village. The Lakes are well signposted and in the centre of Wortwell on the right.

Wensum Fisheries, Costessey

Four well established old gravel working lakes in the Wensum Valley, varying in size between 2 and 10 acres, with depths to 14 feet.

Clear Water Lake and Rainbow Pool hold Carp amongst other species.

This fishery is controlled by Norwich and District Angling Association.

Route: Take the Dereham Road from Norwich City Centre until the Roundhouse Public House and Longwater Lane on the right.

Follow the road to the end and turn left, then take the next right towards Taverham. The Lakes entrance is on the right, actually between the entrances to Costessey No2 and No3 Pits.

I do have a list of other venues, if anyone would like to PM with updated contact information etc I look forward to adding it to these:

Wallnut Tree Farm Pool Attleborough Blickling Lake Aylsham Stonegate Lake Aylsham Felmingham Mill Lake Aylsham Home Lake Aylsham Little Lake Land Bungay Chapel Road Lake Cromer Granary Lakes Dereham Dereham Tatts Pit Downham Market Fakenham Willsmore Water Fakenham Gimmingham Lakes Gimmingham Great Melton Reservoir Great Melton Pentney Carp Lakes Kings Lynn Tottenhill Pit Kings Lynn Fosters End Pit Kings Lynn Wood Lakes Kings Lynn West Lexham Moat Kings Lynn Marlingford Mere Norwich Shallow Brook Carp Lake Norwich Reepham Fisheries Norwich Ringland Lakes Norwich Lyng Easthaugh Pits Norwich Bramley Lake Norwich Felthorpe Lakes Norwich Haveringland Lake Norwich Bridge Lake Norwich Abbey Waters - Buckenham Norwich Ling Gravel Works Norwich Bedingham Pit Pit Shippham Geens Pit Snetterton Chiswick Pit Stow Bardolph Little Dunham Carp Lakes Swaffham Bradmoor Lakes Swaffham Billingford Pit Swanton Scottow Pond Swanton Abbot Nunnery Lakes Thetford Highfield Fisheries Thorpe Abbots Holkham Hall Lake Wells-next-the-sea Beeston Lake Wroxham Hoveton Hall Lake

• 1 month later...

Wow.

thats an extensive list there!

the lakes at southery - are they open again now then? i fished then many many years back as a teenager, and last i'd heard had been closed due to the power lines overhead above the lakes?

anyway, great list! will be sure to check this out

taswood is calling me back though... two blanks, then 20 and a 16 overnight sat. place looks just too appealing,.

tell me - have you ever tried dents farmshop at hilgay?

Taverham Mills used to have some cracking fish in from singles up to 30lbs, although I know that at least one of the 30's got ottered :?:roll::!:

Never forget your floaters in summer, in certain areas during the day or early evening they are extremely confident in taking them.

Stalking can work well in certain swims as well.

The lake has plenty of gravel bars, weed, lilies, silty patches for long and short range fishing.

DON'T ignore the margins.

Working from Peg1 round to the left.

Peg1-3 itself, in between the trees and past the small islands, not a particularly good area in summer for some reason, the fish move past it, but don't feed confidently, yet in winter is one of the best areas on the lake.

Peg 4/5 an area where the fish would cruise around the islands and in the island bay.

Road Bank, plenty of gravel in front of you, and a couple of islands. If you cast to the islands around pegs9-10 be very careful, the branches come along way away from the island underwater, fish have been tethered by idiots casting or boating baits too close.

The last swim on the road bank in the bay has a deep hole in which I'm pretty positive has a nice inlet spring in.

The Point, between the 2 islands, can produce, but is patchy.

From the next bay with the pipe connecting to Costessey, an area where the fish can hole up, but fishes best when water is beng pumped in.

All the pegs along the bank can produce down to what is number 29 or 30, the last before an area we called "The Backwaters", and all have plenty of gravel or island features in front of them as well as loads of weed.

The Backwaters themselves are good for stalking and floater fishing. By being really quiet, you can sneak up on the fish, and they do come in close, but when I say quiet, I mean silent, no vibration whatsoever :!:

Onto the Plateau Point, the swim to the right of the main Plateau swim has long produced fish from the far bank corner to the right or under the overhanging tree in front.

The Plateau swim, a BIG double swim, but although the fish do go over the plateau, it can be difficult, and if the water level is low, you will be fishing in water which may only just cover your ankles.

Carrying on round you have what are known as "The Tench Swims", the 3 or 4 swims with the last in the corner.

The 2nd and 3rd from that corner have the remains of a WW2 Bomber in, so can be a bit snaggy as well as having loads of lilies in front.

Onto the Cowtail you have the swims on the island, the fish actually are catchable between the island and the main bank, and towards the Plateau is a very big silt patch, that used to hold LARGE bream to over Double figures.

Round the Cowtail you have the same water as the Back Bank, and is a shorter walk :P is worthwhile if no-one is fishing the back bank.

Cowtail corner, to the tree in the water along the island to the left. To the right you have a large gravel bank along the island, but it doesn't produce much. The left side of the swim is the better option.

To the left the next 3 swims all face to the island, as does CowTail point down the slope, but the point also has water to the left. All will produce at times.

The other swim down the slope to the left of the point has a number of nice features.

Round into the bay, a couple of swims on the high bank, don't ignore them and fish the margins. Hidden in that bay is a large rock standing proud of the lakebed, it will take a lot of finding (unless you can get a rowing boat out and actually see it).

The swim at the back of the bay, margins and fallen tree to the right, lily pad in front.

Swim in the corner is pretty much a cut-off.

Round onto the meadow swims, all produce fish, and there is plenty of weed.

I don't know the lake at all, not much anyway :lol::roll:

I used to fish (live on) there, but I haven't been back for 8years as I feel it couldn't live up to how I learnt to fish it

• 3 years later...

I'm really glad that the publicity ban on West Stow and Nunnery has been lifted.

Both have been excellent fisheries, although I do know sadly a few fish have been ottered (I do NOT know about total losses if any).

These lakes are definitely places worth a look

There have been a few losses on West Stow, however as of today the lake is now fully fenced in. This will eliminate any problem we have had. The lake has a fabulous stock of stunning fish, with a large number of 30lb plus fish & an on going stocking program.

On the Nunnery, the main carp lakes, A lake & D lake have been fully fenced in for sometime now & haven't had any losses to otters at all.

There have been a few losses on West Stow, however as of today the lake is now fully fenced in. This will eliminate any problem we have had. The lake has a fabulous stock of stunning fish, with a large number of 30lb plus fish & an on going stocking program.

On the Nunnery, the main carp lakes, A lake & D lake have been fully fenced in for sometime now & haven't had any losses to otters at all.

Hi can you advise me about stocks on E and Bobs, I have recently joined and not seen much come out, have those lakes suffered to otters ?

I love the place but yet to catch my first fish, great people up there and a very pretty place

Adders

Bobs & E has a very big head of carp. Unfortunately it has had a bit of an otter problem as the BTO won't let us fence this lake in. However the predation has been very minimal.

The recent Xmas match that a few if the lads fish every year produced several fish to a few ounces under 30lb. There are several carp over 30 in there up to mid 30.

Stick at it, talk to longer term members & suss out best swims, rigs & bait. There are plenty of runs waiting to happen.

Bobs & E has a very big head of carp. Unfortunately it has had a bit of an otter problem as the BTO won't let us fence this lake in. However the predation has been very minimal.

The recent Xmas match that a few if the lads fish every year produced several fish to a few ounces under 30lb. There are several carp over 30 in there up to mid 30.

Stick at it, talk to longer term members & suss out best swims, rigs & bait. There are plenty of runs waiting to happen.

Thanks Bullet

The other members have all been helpful, suggestions and which swims fish better and I have seen the pictures of the fish caught recently.

Lets face it this is a hard time of the year for any venue regardless of stock.

Funny thing is some say E lake is easier, others say Bobs !

I have sent you a PM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello,

Bit of a noddy here so bare with me!

I live in taverham (just outside Norwich). Ive only been fishing for a couple of months.

I have been to cobble acre - Adams lake, The bridge inn - bridge lake, Booton clay pit, Felthorpe, Broome pits (lovely) lakes and Taswood.

So fae my favourite, although I blanked... Is bootom clay pit. At about 5 miles from my house, its a beautiful 1.5 acre - 2 acre lake. Baliff explained that it isn't an easy lake, but there is 2 36's.. Of course I was just aiming to PB at 9lb.. (Stop laughing :wink:) lots of snags, read beds ect at on £7 for a day ticket. Can't wait to pull something out of there!and its is VERY QUIET, ive been for a look around several times and never seen anyone down there besides the baliff!

We are doing a night on swangey just after christmas, hopefully we will get a bend in the rod!

Hello,

I live in taverham (just outside Norwich). Ive only been fishing for a couple of months.

I have been to cobble acre - Adams lake, The bridge inn - bridge lake, Booton clay pit, Felthorpe, Broome pits (lovely) lakes and Taswood.

So fae my favourite, although I blanked... Is bootom clay pit. At about 5 miles from my house, its a beautiful 1.5 acre - 2 acre lake. Baliff explained that it isn't an easy lake, but there is 2 36's.. Of course I was just aiming to PB at 9lb.. (Stop laughing :wink:) lots of snags, read beds ect at on £7 for a day ticket. Can't wait to pull something out of there!and its is VERY QUIET, ive been for a look around several times and never seen anyone down there besides the baliff!

We are doing a night on swangey just after christmas, hopefully we will get a bend in the rod!

hi, also from Norfolk

did u have any luck at felthorpe lakes? because I've been there a few times and only had one whilst everyone else was catching. You should have a go a stanninghall lakes which is amazing and very beautiful lake and has some big fish in to. 

Taverham ? Young Nick will help you out i expect when he sees this .

Have you tried the search facility ? Loads of threads about norfolk and/or Taverham :wink:

Oh see he has already posted earlier in the thread . Ignore me i have dementia :)

Edited by newmarket

Hello,

yeah was well nice down there :wink: did seem very tricky though but plenty of nice features to fish to.

I have walked round taverham several times and I'm always stunned by how gorgeous the place is and would love to do a campaign on there for perhaps a year. To me the place just screams out my style of fishing as I love stalking and roaming. I really feel I could get lost in the place. Does anyone have any idea at all as to what's in it anymore?

• 2 weeks later...

I have walked round taverham several times and I'm always stunned by how gorgeous the place is and would love to do a campaign on there for perhaps a year. To me the place just screams out my style of fishing as I love stalking and roaming. I really feel I could get lost in the place. Does anyone have any idea at all as to what's in it anymore?

i know that 91 carp between 8 and 12lb were put in last yr in november if that helps

• 1 year later...

Has any one took a visit/fished bcf???, if you haven't then go take a look, there's around 3/4 lakes, 1 main carp lake, 2/3 match lakes with various fish in, It's 10 minutes from Yarmouth in a village called burgh castle. The carp are absolutely stunning and well worth catching.

• 2 years later...