Chod/Silt rig for a bottom bait??

thetford72

I take it your talking about a Helicopter rig? If so I would stick to a standard lead clip if i were you mate, it all gets to complicated when you start changing your techniques for no good reason. However if you still want to try a helicopter rig it will work with a bottom bait rig.

I just thought of trying something completely different to every one else who fishes the lake, they all seem to use the lead clip and most of them are using korda leaders as leadcore is banned and I wouldn't use it anyway.

I have been using Nash Limpit camo leaders on a lead clip and a short braided hooklink about 3-4 inches on with nash Fang twister hook (even tried KD style bottom bait), whereas everyone else seems to use about 6+ inch hooklength

Helicopter rig, if this is what your referring to, can be used on all lake beds with all sorts of hookbaits. The chod rig is best used with a pop up. As has already been said you want to use a hooklink about 8-12 inches over a silty bottom. A short hooklink can result in the lead sinking into the silt and dragging the hooklink with it, either giving you a bad presentation or masking your hookpoint all together. Also may i ad try to use a supple hooklink material over silt, either normal braid, Korda supernatural gets my vote, or straight mono.

Cheers

Will

Is there any way of finding out the depth of the silt?

Way to get a rough estimate is to tie a length of wool from the (marker) lead back up the mainline and leave it out for a few minutes. It will be at an angle as you tighten down the line, but should be enough to work with.

Running leads and softer more supple hooklinks for me every time. I don't like using Helicopter set-ups unless I absolutely have to. :wink:

I would also agree with long supple hooklenghts i use around 10-12inch.

I also soak all my baits loose and ones on my rigs. This way it helps get alot more smell around. Dont be too afraid of being in the silt and thinking fish wont feed in it.

Carp love mooching and feeding around the silt and even bury there faces in it when feeding