Owning Barston Lakes

Hi all.

I am Nigel Harrhy, and i own Barston Lake. I have had the lake for 10 years now, and i just thought i would come on here and tell you about the lake.

I have found some of the posts on Barston, and some posts are negative, and wanted to put my side of the story forward.

Myself, I am a match angler, but i have also done 10 years carping, done a few years going to France, also fished for cats on the Ebro (blanked) and sharks in Florida. (160lb best).

I bought the lake in 2000, and had a small 2 acre lake before this 25 acre lake. When i came here i bought 50 carp with me, from 5lb to 14lb.

We first had a match with 20 mates to see what was in here, and we only had 1 tench, and 4 bream hybderds. I then stocked 30,000 small 3 inch carp, which didnt survive, i mainly blame the seagulls, with the water being clear they took the small fish easily.

I have continued to stock the lake since, with skimmers and small carp. I did stock 750 carp from 8 to 18lb around 2004, which i bought from BW Naseby res. These fish are now averaging 18/19/20lb. (the 5 biggest rumoured to be 30s)

Things were going well till the dreaded KHV hit the water in 2007. I have since then built a hatchery, and restocked with more small carp. As years go by, i will have small carp in pools on the adjoining golf course.

I stock the pool for ALL fisherman, for beginners, for match, pleasure, and of course carp anglers. If this was just to be a carp lake, i would have 100 fish, witch could well be 30s with some pushing 40, but that's not how i decided to go.

Carp match fishing is getting popular, and 48 hour army match was won last week with 600lb (biggest 22lb) and the champion of champions match last year was won with 1200lb, all doubles, so the small fish are avoidable, by fishing beds of big boilys or pellets. (avoid spodding and particals).

The British carp champs semi finals are here this year too, i do know some of the qualifiers have qualified after having casting comps as there were no fish caught!

So that's it, just wanted to say how i run it, i have stocked lots of small carp, and trying my best to make this an easy lake, there are plenty of hard ones out there!

I do hope you understand how i run it, i would welcome any of you here at any-time, i am an all round angler, running my own lake for all round anglers!

If you wish to come here for some easy doubles then please do, if you want to come here in the winter for some runs, or just get some runs for confidence, or practice match carp fishing then you are all most welcome.

I hope to see you on the bank.

Best wishes all, Nigel Harrhy.

i live local to this lake and have fished it a few times catching plenty of small fish and a few doubles but i have seen upper doubles come out while i have been there so looks good,but i will say that a friend of mine paid £10 member ship so he could do nights on there aswell but after doing 1 night he said there was 6 other lads on there only 1 had paid they were also noisy and lighting fires whilst drinking the old wife beater,so word of advice nigel police your lake a bit better and you may find more people fishing it as you have a nice lake there.

yeah i paid a tenner to join then 15 quid to do a night, what a waste of money that was, i should have just done what EVERYONE else does and NOT PAID. all i had to do was avoid the club house, the water is not bailiffed AT ALL, i've never seen so many numptys round 1 water in all my time carp fishing. and yeah 6 lads next to me, only 1 had paid, they got loud and then decided to light a bonfire right next to the water which ruined the margin fishin for every1 within 5-6 pegs either side. then there friends turned up to join em on the [censored] !

Nigel, i take it that you know people can get on your water from the bottom end of the pool somewhere, a big bloody fence might help you out there, maybe then the night fishing will be secure, i'd even go as far as to put a big, "NO DOGS", sign up as at least 8 out of 10 dogs walked round the lake go for your bait, and under that i'd also have a "NO HORSES" sign too.

but hey you done well out of me, £25 i spent, i will not be going back. :cry:

Sorry to hear that John.

The water is bailiffed daily, but no lake can be done 24 hours a day.

I had problems 3 years ago with this same problem, one angler turning up with half a dozen mates, that's why i started the club. I started it for free, but still had the idiots joining, so the last 2 years i have charged £10 to cover admin costs, and it also deterers those idiots, and i can police it better. I have stopped and kicked out at least 2 dozen since.

I am fully aware of the far footpath entrance, and cant stop people entering from there as it is a public footpath, and the river bank side is also a bridal way, so i also cant stop horses or bikes.

The dogs are a problem, and i have tried telling owners to putt there dog on a lead, but the law states that if a dog is under close control, its allowed.

Many carpers bring dogs too of course.

I have not come on here anonymously, i haven't come on here to argue, i have just come on to tell how i run the lake, its not just a carp lake, its an all round lake.

Sorry for your disappointment. Nigel.

i have fished barston may times over the last few years and have done very well.

i have gone to barston knowing its going to be a runs water with smaller carp on the menu, i am a carp angler, but also enjoy a bend in my rods when other ventures are a bit slow,

i will be taking part in the midland masters in august, which will be my first carp match ,,and must say looking forward to it very much.

With regards to the groups and fires, i have seen a few uneducated i***ts.

and have done a many waters..im sure a few mesures can be put in place to sort this..

it is a cracking lake with lovely surrounding and top class facility's too, well done!

Guest keenook

Fair play Nigel,

But why not make your water into a proper club, that members buy an annual ticket, that would surely be benificial to all members and easier for you to bailiff???

Fair play Nigel,

But why not make your water into a proper club, that members buy an annual ticket, that would surely be benificial to all members and easier for you to bailiff???

Agreed. You usually find that the members will actually bailliff the waters themselves quite willingly anyway.

Guest keenook
Yes, i could form a private syndicate, and have thought about it, but decided i would have members only for night fishing, so as not to exclude many that only wish to fish here occasionaly.

You could have a "day" and a "night" Syndi perhaps?

I'm sure with a good bailiff and policing,,it would be sorted..

i know it would be extra costs but will pay for itself in the long run and benefit the fishery :)

agreed

Being you live local, if you have the time, why don't you ask Nigel if he needs some help, might get a free season ticket out of it...

That's how i got a ticket for a few of my local lakes without paying...

Guest keenook
I'm sure with a good bailiff and policing,,it would be sorted..

i know it would be extra costs but will pay for itself in the long run and benefit the fishery :)

agreed

Being you live local, if you have the time, why don't you ask Nigel if he needs some help, might get a free season ticket out of it...

That's how i got a ticket for a few of my local lakes without paying...

You've got your finger right on the pulse N_G :wink: